NPBA, Fictional basketball league

xxstormmxx

What real life divisions make no sense? Perhaps the NFL, with the Cowboys being in the NFC East, but I can't think of any others off hand.

In the NBA, Memphis in the west.

And what team would be in the West in their stead?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO the Divisions are fine. South means the entire southern half of the U.S, North is northern half, East is the entire Atlantic coast plus the NE states, west is the Pacific.

Divisions are made to group teams in the same area and cut down on travel costs, not in a general direction. Tampa is 2,326 miles from Las Vegas. But it's all logical because they're in a common south, right?

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

My divisions aren't designed like that, they're designed so teams need to win their region to get a high playoff seed. The first post will explain more. With Memphis, Chicago and Detroit are farther west then that so if the conferences are going to be strange either way, at least move the Pistons.

2n1v22w.jpg

My divisions aren't designed like that, they're designed so teams need to win their region to get a high playoff seed. The first post will explain more. With Memphis, Chicago and Detroit are farther west then that so if the conferences are going to be strange either way, at least move the Pistons.

NBA_zps4317deca.png

Um.

*beats poster senseless with map*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well, since the Big 4 sports leagues are TV-centric, much of the division alignment has to do with, in addition to other factors including history and tradition, time zones, to allow for logistical broadcasting of games in respective markets. Having a North or South division spanning from Eastern to Pacific time zones, in a basketball league no less, makes absolutely no sense.

Unless of course your fictional league's games aren't being hypothetically broadcasted on TV, in which case your fictional teams would still have to travel crazy distances on a daily basis to their hypothetical games. In all honesty it's almost as if (I'm guessing it isn't) you're playing a basketball sim and using the random generated cities/nicknames.

I'm more of a realist with fictional leagues, especially with team placement and markets and all that, so I'm just offering some helpful suggestions. I'll let someone else criticize your designs.

Isn't that how all sports leagues work?

I wouldn't worry too much about the division alignment, but I think it's something to consider.

Usually these screwy alignments arise because of tradition. For example, the Dallas Cowboys are in the NFC East (and about 1000 miles from any of the other teams in their division) while the St. Louis Rams and Kansas City are both in western divisions despite being farther east than Dallas. The reason for this is that that's the way it's been for a very long time, and moving Dallas out of the NFC East would ruin the rivalry between them and the Redskins.

If this alignment is part of the history of how your league developed and expanded, then that's fine. However, understand that no league just beginning would choose this alignment.

Regardless, the way to end this discussion is to provide some concepts for people to discuss.

Your Vancouver Avalanche concept is woefully lacking. It seems you've taken a jersey, painted by number in boring colors and slapped some text and a number on in random fonts and then slapped on the NBA logo for good measure.

This is just plain boring. Try finding a more inspiring color scheme, and make a logo for the team (on paper if you have to). It doesn't matter if you don't think you have a whole lot of talent. With practice, you will improve. What really counts on these boards is the effort.

Study basketball uniforms to see what they look like. Usually they have some kind of striping. Try to create something unique for your team that will make it stand out.

Don't take any of this personally, but I do want to see this concept improve.

"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life.'" - John 14:6

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

Vancouver is going to be improved today to make it better. Also I'll do a team identity sheet for the Carolina Money, the other team this will follow closely.

Can't say I expected you to improve it to make it worse :P .

Just screwin' with ya. Good luck on your second take. Like Eagle said, effort is a huge part of this. Try to do something unique, not too much out of the box, but your goal is to make us remember your concept... for good reasons.

Now you have a little bit of identity to work with. Usually basketball jerseys have numbers on the front as well. Try looking at a lot of different jerseys and identify the common elements they all have. Don't take for granted all those little elements.

Basketball jerseys need numbers on the front for the sake of officiating. Your colours are too close in brightness and saturation. The V way far out from the ancouver renders it practically illegible. The minimalist logo to represent an avalanche is an interesting take, but this branding doesn't feel cohesive. How do the colours fit the name and/or the city? A strong identity makes a connexion to the location, and by extension, to the fans. Why did you choose your typefaces? How do they relate to the branding?

rATMcmK.png

This is just a god awful thread.

I've said it before I'll say it again, your names are crap.

1) using a team name from a totally different sport such as "Avalanche" for a city that is division rivals to that team in real life is just a god awful idea to begin with.

That would be like you using the name San Jose Ducks for a basketball team. That just doesn't work, neither does Vancouver Avalanche

2) the rest of your team-names are terrible too. Money? Show? Really? Those are the most unimaginative, lame, stupid, frustratingly idiotic names I have ever seen on these forums.

3) the uniforms... don't get me started. They look terrible, first of all. They don't have any sort of design that even makes sense for a true basketball team to wear. The colors are crap.

Please don't continue.

1) using a team name from a totally different sport such as "Avalanche" for a city that is division rivals to that team in real life is just a god awful idea to begin with.

That would be like you using the name San Jose Ducks for a basketball team. That just doesn't work, neither does Vancouver Avalanche

2) the rest of your team-names are terrible too. Money? Show? Really? Those are the most unimaginative, lame, stupid, frustratingly idiotic names I have ever seen on these forums.

3) the uniforms... don't get me started. They look terrible, first of all. They don't have any sort of design that even makes sense for a true basketball team to wear. The colors are crap.

Please don't continue.

You don't have to be a dick about it. Just ignore the thread.

Please don't continue.

1: It's not based on Colorado, it's because Vancouver is world famous for skiing and winter sports. There's tons of mountains there.

2: LA Show is because of the performers in LA, like magicians, mimes, circuses, etc.. The story behind Carolina Money was becase the logo was supposed to be a lot different, using money in the logo, but was changed.

3: Vancouver was a problem, I admit, but it's because I was trying to use Canada's color but still use the team's grey and black color scheme. The Money uniforms were supposed to use carolina blue and also use green since they're the Money...

2n1v22w.jpg

Archived