Rockets 1980s uniform question

AndrewG70

I think that's Mitchell Wiggens and Rodney McCray. That means it's sometime from 85-88. All the pics I've seen of the 86 Finals have ROCKETS on the home whites. This is a good mystery!

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I think that's Mitchell Wiggens and Rodney McCray. That means it's sometime from 85-88. All the pics I've seen of the 86 Finals have ROCKETS on the home whites. This is a good mystery!

Nope, it's from '86-87 - the NBA logo on the unis was first worn in that season. The number font also slightly changed that season.

My guess? That season, Sand-Knit took over as exclusive uniform supplier (Previously, I believe the Rockets had worn Wilson). It's possible that SK just put the wrong lettering on the unis, using a reversed version of the road unis. The Rockets had never worn the city name on the home jerseys whilst using these unis (I've just been through 300+ photos of Rockets games from '85-88 and the only photo I found with the city name on the jerseys is the photo above).

Whatever the case, by the time they played the Blazers on 18th November, they were using the correct jerseys. Just need to find photos from the previous home games that season to figure out exactly when these were worn.

I've got a semi-related questions. Are there any good NBA photo databases other than gettyimages?

Not really. Most of the really interesting images I've found over the years have either been at random or through exhaustative googling.

Cool find, I never knew about that. Reminds me of one of these MLB fan jerseys I used to see in Eastbay catalogs in the mid 90s, that had the white jersey's coloration but the road scripts.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I am not a fan of some letters in uppercase and others in lower case with no rhyme or reason.

I think there is reason. The spacing between letters would have looked weird with a capital T there, considering how all the other letters fill up a similarly-wide slot. Additionally, the other letters (other than H) are all rounded, and a T would not be.

I'm not saying I like mixing upper with lower, just that there is at least some thinking behind it in this case.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived