So way back when I started compiling vintage college mascot logos I said I had a personal project for which I was using them. Today I unveil part of that project.

Vinylmation

If you've ever been to a Disney park then it is likely you've seen some vinylmations. They are a 3 or 9 inch vinyl figures, shaped like Mickey Mouse, that have a huge array of themes. From classic Disney characters to Star Wars to Indiana Jones and many others in between. There are even sports teams; NFL, NBA, MLB, and NCAA. However the NCAA versions are terribly generic and lack the personality for which many vinlylmations are popular. They also created a "Mascots" series of the main 4 Disney characters in vintage college gear. This is where I was inspired for these concepts. Vinlymations also have a large "custom" following. Artists take either blank or unpopular vinyls and re-work them into amazing pieces of art. I chose to get into this by painting NCAA Mascots onto the vinylmation canvas and I just finished my first series and put them up for sale. Below are images of them but first I'll post some pics of other vinyls as well as the "official NCAA series."

vinylmation.jpg

DStreet%2015.jpg

teams+ncaa+on+disney+store+online.jpg

IMG_3817.png

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

Your execution is really quite good, but I really don't understand the "why" behind these things. It's like such a shameless plug for Walt Disney. I can't imagine people painting designs over the Wal-Mart logo and calling it "art."

Just seems rather silly to me as a concept. Not knocking your work, I just don't get the whole vinyl movement. These things are everywhere.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Your execution is really quite good, but I really don't understand the "why" behind these things. It's like such a shameless plug for Walt Disney. I can't imagine people painting designs over the Wal-Mart logo and calling it "art."

Just seems rather silly to me as a concept. Not knocking your work, I just don't get the whole vinyl movement. These things are everywhere.

I get what your saying, I felt that way too... but they just force their way into your mind. I think it's a cheaper, modern pop art canvas.

Great job. It's a pretty difficult medium to work with, IMO.

That's awesome.... The Mickey Mouse ears throw me off a little bit, but what a great idea.

Yeah, one of the hardest things for artists to do with Vinylmation figures is to incorporate those mouse ears into the design so that they don't look awkward. Some do it very well, others not so much.

gYH2mW9.png

That's awesome.... The Mickey Mouse ears throw me off a little bit, but what a great idea.

Yeah, one of the hardest things for artists to do with Vinylmation figures is to incorporate those mouse ears into the design so that they don't look awkward. Some do it very well, others not so much.

It is a tough medium to work on, but when it works, it looks great.

These are all the best custom Vinylmation I've seen. What did you use for the ram horns and hat?

It is a tough medium to work on, but when it works, it looks great.

These are all the best custom Vinylmation I've seen. What did you use for the ram horns and hat?

I use Premo Sculpey.

Where can I buy one?! This is a really cool project! How long does this process take? They look really good.

If you're on Facebook then join either the Vinylmation Exchange Customs or Vinylmation Kingdom Artists Unleashed groups. They are on there for sale through the weekend, after that I'll likely list them on EBAY. Or if you know which one you'd like, just PM me on here. UNC, KU, and ARK are sold.

Between sculpting, priming, painting, and sealing; they would each take about 3 days. But I work so I don't get to just sit and make them all the time so a more accurate estimate is about 1-1.5 weeks each.

Pretty cool idea but the ones without faces are creeping me out LOL. This is kind of like when someone repaints figures in the correct uniforms. I have always thought that was pretty cool especially when it is of fictional teams. I have seen it a couple of times on the boards here

Archived