Rite of Spring '14: Can you fall asleep with a panic switch?

The_Admiral

Yeah, really. Saw the game was 2-1....tuned in a few minutes ago, and just saw the Rangers kick the extra point.

Maybe that lengthy power-play drought stat of the last few Cup winners has some validity to it. Gives the team something to work on in practice instead of focusing on the matchup aspect of your opponent.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So is the NHL listing the days of the week in Finnish on its website's scoreboard a Selanne tribute or the webmaster screwing up again?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That's like saying "the better team lost tonight." That's some sour grapes bullcrap. The better team won. That's why they, ya know, won the game.

Being all butthurt (or as admiral said in beautiful prose, 'being a bitch') because executive producer Dick Wolf didn't write a better season finale for your favorite characters is illogical.

And yeah, what a total disappointment the west finals is. On one side you have a team that's survived and overcome 6 elimination games and is out for revenge on their opponents, the defending cup champs who's star players are lighting it up in sensational fashion (most of the time, anyway). But because the Emmy-award winning narratives of "A Final Cup For Teemu" and "Flowers For Algernon: The San Jose Sharks Playoff Story" aren't playing out doesn't mean you have to go all CS85 on us.

I'm not butthurt. It's been clear for a while that these Ducks aren't ready. Like I said before, the kids aren't ready yet, and management seems content to sit on those asset eggs, as evidenced by his lack of moves at the deadline. And Stravinsky's neoclassical period is awful.

That's why I'm not so torn up about the loss nor really see it as a disappointment.

Give it 2 or 3 years.

deK8sJk.png

This new NHL playoff format sucks. I mean, no top 3 seeds left. Basically, all the really good teams are gone. Ducks-Kings could have been a conference final. We get a rerun between two teams that already won.

Thank goodness for the upheaval in the East. We literally had 5 cracks at the same final four as last year, but BOS and PIT all failed to seal the deal.

It's sad to see career end, but he was on his last legs. It was sad to watch him be a step off of his game this year. Part of that could've been his lack of consistency in the lineup. As far as Anaheim, this us typical of a Boudreau team, great regular season and chokes it away in the playoffs. It's why LA fired him as a minor league coach. As far as Anaheim's biggest need, it's a goaltender. Not since you had Giguere have you had someone who would take the #1 spot. Gibson might be good in the future, but not now. If Gibson can't take the #1 position going into the season, be really scared. If he's the guy he'll take the job the way Quick did in LA. Oh, and to the Kings haters, Kings fans are sorry your team can't get it done when it counts.

Does the regular season even matter? At this point, it's basically "Just get in and you have a puncher's shot.'

Maybe your Kings had it right- coast just enough to not burn out, but not to the point where you're gonna miss the playoffs.

The regular season matters only to the point that you get in. Look throughout sports, the more teams you add to the playoffs, the less being the best in the regular season matters. Darryl Sutter has stated, get into the playoff that is the first goal. The second is the Cup. The whole goal is the Cup. I could care less about individual awards. I have a coworker who was upset the Ducks didn't get the President's Trophy. I laughed at him, and said, it's about the Cup, not some stupid regular season trophy. There's also the realization that you watch what the Ducks have done the past few seasons, jump out to a huge regular season lead, only to fizzle out at the end of the year. You want to be playing well at the end of the year, not at the beginning like the Ducks have been doing the past couple years. Then again when your big boys (Getzlaf and Perry) fizzle when you need them the most, it says a lot about your franchise. Sorry to people who can't stand that Dean Lombardi has built a franchise the right way, that won't be going away anytime soon. As a Kings fan who suffered with ineptitude for so long. If you want to see the Kings go away, then build your franchise like Dean built this one. It's that simple... or is it?

Β 

Β 

This new NHL playoff format sucks. I mean, no top 3 seeds left. Basically, all the really good teams are gone. Ducks-Kings could have been a conference final. We get a rerun between two teams that already won.

Thank goodness for the upheaval in the East. We literally had 5 cracks at the same final four as last year, but BOS and PIT all failed to seal the deal.

It's sad to see career end, but he was on his last legs. It was sad to watch him be a step off of his game this year. Part of that could've been his lack of consistency in the lineup. As far as Anaheim, this us typical of a Boudreau team, great regular season and chokes it away in the playoffs. It's why LA fired him as a minor league coach. As far as Anaheim's biggest need, it's a goaltender. Not since you had Giguere have you had someone who would take the #1 spot. Gibson might be good in the future, but not now. If Gibson can't take the #1 position going into the season, be really scared. If he's the guy he'll take the job the way Quick did in LA. Oh, and to the Kings haters, Kings fans are sorry your team can't get it done when it counts.

Does the regular season even matter? At this point, it's basically "Just get in and you have a puncher's shot.'

Maybe your Kings had it right- coast just enough to not burn out, but not to the point where you're gonna miss the playoffs.

The regular season matters only to the point that you get in. Look throughout sports, the more teams you add to the playoffs, the less being the best in the regular season matters. Darryl Sutter has stated, get into the playoff that is the first goal. The second is the Cup. The whole goal is the Cup. I could care less about individual awards. I have a coworker who was upset the Ducks didn't get the President's Trophy. I laughed at him, and said, it's about the Cup, not some stupid regular season trophy. There's also the realization that you watch what the Ducks have done the past few seasons, jump out to a huge regular season lead, only to fizzle out at the end of the year. You want to be playing well at the end of the year, not at the beginning like the Ducks have been doing the past couple years. Then again when your big boys (Getzlaf and Perry) fizzle when you need them the most, it says a lot about your franchise. Sorry to people who can't stand that Dean Lombardi has built a franchise the right way, that won't be going away anytime soon. As a Kings fan who suffered with ineptitude for so long. If you want to see the Kings go away, then build your franchise like Dean built this one. It's that simple... or is it?

Too bad Dean couldn't do that with the Sharks. :/

Building a franchise the Dean Lombardi way:

1) assemble a team that's kind of good but lacks the firepower to get past better teams

2) wait for the Philadelphia Flyers to inexplicably trade away their #1 and #2 centers for drinking too much

3) Dynasty in the making

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

Building a franchise the Dean Lombardi Sharks way:

1) assemble a team that's kind of good but lacks the firepower to get past better teams CHECK

2) wait for the Philadelphia Flyers Boston Bruins to inexplicably trade away their #1 and #2 center for drinking too much being ultra talented but not doing much in the playoffs CHECK

3) Dynasty Inexplicable playoff exits in the making CHECK

Martin St. Louis was the first star of the game today, but it took the press box a little longer than it should have for them to come to that conclusion, so now he's demanding a trade.

The reasoning with trading Richards and Carter to open space up to sign Bryzgalov was short-sighted and inefficient, not to mention it became a total disaster. That said, the players the Flyers have ultimately gotten in return for that trade (Voracek, Simmonds, Couturier, B. Schenn) is, really, a pretty damn good haul. They fleeced Columbus on the Carter deal in particular. Carter was worth trading a 1st for (and maybe a 3rd too), but it was overkill to add Jakub Voracek to that mix.

spacer.png

Haul, shmaul. I'll take Richards over the Royal Sampler any day, any year. I'd lean toward Carter over Couturier and Voracek, too.

They don't look bad. Period would have been scoreless if Alec Martinez could cut the crap. Brandon Bollig is still an actor, though, I see.

Archived