Minor League Hockey Moves 2014-15

Burkell007

No one's going to lament Springfield, Albany, Binghamton, or several others. First off, they're not moving west. Secondly, as long as you're a Northeastern market big enough to have network TV affiliates in town and can be bothered to minimally keep your rink up, you'll get another team. Ask Worcester, Glens Falls, Binghamton, Albany...

Also, they don't "come in droves" unless you're talking about Hershey or Providence.

I was more thinking of Portland, Manchester, Worcester, Utica, Lake Erie, Norfolk...those kinds of teams. The fanbase will mount HUGE "Save the (team)" rallies which'll draw more than the team would draw out west.

The same Portland that drew 2,000 per game this year? They'll riot?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No one's going to lament Springfield, Albany, Binghamton, or several others. First off, they're not moving west. Secondly, as long as you're a Northeastern market big enough to have network TV affiliates in town and can be bothered to minimally keep your rink up, you'll get another team. Ask Worcester, Glens Falls, Binghamton, Albany...

Also, they don't "come in droves" unless you're talking about Hershey or Providence.

I was more thinking of Portland, Manchester, Worcester, Utica, Lake Erie, Norfolk...those kinds of teams. The fanbase will mount HUGE "Save the (team)" rallies which'll draw more than the team would draw out west.

The same Portland that drew 2,000 per game this year? They'll riot?

To be fair, the authorities in Portland and the Pirates had a squabble over concession money at the arena, that forced the club to flee to Lewiston for a year. The Pirates will be back home for next season.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Here are the big questions I have for minor league hockey:
1. "The New PCHA" for West Coast NHL teams & their AAA affiliates: How will the league manage this? Will they actually move 7 AHL teams closer to their NHL affiliate?
2. The Central Hockey League: The league needs to merge with the ECHL, I wouldn't be surprised if 3-4 CHL teams are in the top 15 in average attendance of all minor leagues (including the AHL). If the NHL's Pacific Division teams want AAA affiliates closer to their teams, the Western Conference of the ECHL could break off the form the new PCHA, & the top CHL teams could join the ECHL...
3. KHL: Are they really going to expand to 64 teams? North Korea? Seriously, I've read that!
4. SPHL: Peoria is joining the CHL, Bloomington is prob joining the USHL or NAHL, IMO.

Mississippi Surge suspend operations...

http://pointstreaksites.com/view/mississippisurge/recent-news-3/news_149329

St. Charles Chill also suspend operations...

http://www.stcharleschill.com/news/index.html?article_id=144

Finally there are rumblings on twitter that Abbotsford is looking into the ECHL

https://twitter.com/News1130Sports/status/462261265625538560

baltimoreravens.png

So basically this new PCHA will be a new formed IHL, but only on the West Coast. What would make most sense, although in business that never happens... the Western Conference of the ECHL should be the perfect fit. Meanwhile, those cities disposed of in the east (in the AHL) should be absorbed into the ECHL.

At this point (and actually, this should have happened at least seven years ago), the ECHL should really just rename itself the EACH Coast Hockey League...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

About time, too.

Now let's hope the team's the "Adirondack Flames" so that they can recycle the old flaming-A logo.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

At this point (and actually, this should have happened at least seven years ago), the ECHL should really just rename itself the EACH Coast Hockey League...

Probably, but the term "East Coast Hockey League" is almost never used anyway.

Probably, but the term "East Coast Hockey League" is almost never used anyway.

Because that is no longer the name of the league. It's just ECHL now, doesn't stand for anything.

niagaraq.png

I know reel-line-mints are for elsewhere, but the move to Glens Falls obvious causes an imbalance in the conferences. I wonder if the AHL will adopt the 14/16 4-division NHL model, or if they'll kick a team to the West to keep it at 15/15. If it's the latter, I'm guessing Norfolk gets the westward shove, since Charlotte's already there.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Norfolk is also not a bus-friendly locale. Gotta be honest, it's really weird that they've kept hanging on all these years. I don't know how they've done it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I know reel-line-mints are for elsewhere, but the move to Glens Falls obvious causes an imbalance in the conferences. I wonder if the AHL will adopt the 14/16 4-division NHL model, or if they'll kick a team to the West to keep it at 15/15. If it's the latter, I'm guessing Norfolk gets the westward shove, since Charlotte's already there.

Norfolk and Charlotte are not bus friendly.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

True, but Norfolk would fit in with all the other assorted outliers and malcontents. Meanwhile, everything in the East except the soon-to-be-gone St. John's is an easy bus trip.

The AHL is a lot of odd parts right now. There's Norfolk and Charlotte out east, but not really fitting with the East. They built a nice Texas triangle, but then Les Alexander decided he didn't want the Aeros in his building anymore. So you've got a pair of (fairly-successful, well-drawing) teams well out of the footprint, and somewhat nearby, the Barons, who nobody cares about. It feels like the time for another major re-jiggering is approaching. I just hope no one involved is stupid enough to take that as a cue for a Grand Western Migration Experiment.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

True, but Norfolk would fit in with all the other assorted outliers and malcontents. Meanwhile, everything in the East except the soon-to-be-gone St. John's is an easy bus trip.

The AHL is a lot of odd parts right now. There's Norfolk and Charlotte out east, but not really fitting with the East. They built a nice Texas triangle, but then Les Alexander decided he didn't want the Aeros in his building anymore. So you've got a pair of (fairly-successful, well-drawing) teams well out of the footprint, and somewhat nearby, the Barons, who nobody cares about. It feels like the time for another major re-jiggering is approaching. I just hope no one involved is stupid enough to take that as a cue for a Grand Western Migration Experiment.

Went to a baby Stars playoff game, and it felt like the roof was gonna blow.

Also, didya guys see that the KHL will have more teams than the NHL

That's what- She

The KHL makes the Phoenix Coyotes look like a victory for the principles of the free market. They could have 100 teams, including 2 on the moon, if they wanted.

It feels like the time for another major re-jiggering is approaching. I just hope no one involved is stupid enough to take that as a cue for a Grand Western Migration Experiment.

I feel like actions are speaking louder than words with Calgary predictably picking up Glens Falls and Vancouver committing to Utica, but who knows how short-term that could end up being.

I still think the Midwest and South should split off into a new IHL, but even that keeps everyone well east of the Rockies.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Unless the west coast teams decide to move their affiliates into the stronger western based echo markets. I could see, say, San Jose grabbing Bakersfield, LA using Ontario, Anaheim going with Vegas, etc.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Unless the west coast teams decide to move their affiliates into the stronger western based echo markets. I could see, say, San Jose grabbing Bakersfield, LA using Ontario, Anaheim going with Vegas, etc.

The Oilers own Bakersfield so that wouldn't be an option for San Jose.

Archived