Retired numbers

I just read where the Yankees are going to retire Joe Torre's uniform number 6 sometime this August during a ceremony at Yankee Stadium. I believe he is most deserving of this honor.

It is all but a foregone conclusion that the Yankees will also retire Derek Jeter's uniform number 2 sometime in the future. This will mean that the Yankees will no longer have any single digit uniform numbers to assign to new players or managers or coaches, unless the number "0" is allowed. I don't see that happening.

1- Billy Martin

2 - Derek Jeter (future)

3- George Herman "Babe" Ruth

4- Henry Louis Gehrig

5 - "Joltin'" Joe DiMaggio

6 - Joe Torre (future)

7 - Mickey Mantle

8 - Bill Dickey

8 - Yogi Berra

9 - Roger Maris

10 - Phil Rizzuto

So the numbers 1-10 will be out of commission. 42 for Jackie Robinson is gone, and it also seems a foregone conclusion that the Yankees will also re-retire 42 in honor of Mariano Rivera.

Somehow I can't picture the Yankees assigning the number 0 to a player. A mascot perhaps, but not a player. I never understood why any player would even want the number 0. I remember Jim Otto of the Oakland Raiders wearing 00 (double zero) which was amusing and awkward too. If nothing else, it made him memorable, or his uniform anyway.

I think some players do it because they have a name that begins with O Al Oliver for instence, perhaps the best player ever to be a Zero. (Borderline HOF)

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Omar Olivaris used to say that he didn't wear a number, but rather his initials.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Relief pitcher Rick White wore #00 with several teams.

Obligatory mention of how wearing 0 or 00 BSODs the NHL's player database.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Maybe when they update their computers to Windows: Millennium Edition, we can have players wear 00 again.

Maybe when they update their computers to Windows: Millennium Edition, we can have players wear 00 again.

They still need to updated to Windows:Stone Age Edition.

The Brewers have had players wear #0 and 00.

In the early 1990s, Franklin Stubbs switched from his #28 to #0.

$_3.JPG

More recently, Curtis Leskanic wore the double.

curt624.jpg

So the numbers 1-10 will be out of commission. 42 for Jackie Robinson is gone, and it also seems a foregone conclusion that the Yankees will also re-retire 42 in honor of Mariano Rivera.

Indeed - they did it last year.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/nyy/new-york-yankees-retire-mariano-riveras-no-42-on-special-day-in-bronx?ymd=20130922&content_id=61380690

Archived