Illinois Illini brand update

jaker52

All three feel like downgrades.

On the "I", it feels less sturdy than before...less substantial. The old one has some quirks about it that make it feel custom, this feels generic.

On the shield, the horizontal "knobs" on the old one gave the impression of a hanging flag, there was some gravity to it. Your new one feels like ears, or something. My brain keeps trying to see a mask or a face. The thicker stripes are throwing me too. For one, the tiny orange triangles on either side feel off. And, with the thicker stripes the overall shape of the shield is a bit compromised because there is so much blank space. Lastly, the "I" bleeding into the stripes creates a legibility issue. I very well could be a coulmn with the knobs sticking out on either side. We can't know because there is not definition on the bottom of the "I."

Lastly, the scripts: The biggest improvement is obviously that the "I" doesn't look like a "1" anymore. However, I still have the same complaint that I do with the current scripts: if your primary logo is a block serif "I," how does your wordmark not also have a block serif "I?" Beyond that, the font choice feels a little "sportscenter-y" with how high the white break is. The cut on the bottom of the "L" creates awkward kerning and doesn't seem to fit the rest of the wordmark. And the crossbar on the "N" feels like it's wearing it's pants too high or something.

I think there is room for improvement from the original marks, so keep at it!

Congratulations, you made all of them worse!

Damn near spit out my drink on my phone reading this!!

I agree with everyone. I hardly see any changes at all

All three of these logos are......

stock-footage-seamless-looping-emoticon-

um.. you had me at thumms down sad face

tinysig.jpg

Yeah, you have to tell us why you even bothered to revamp these, because the changes are so subtle that they are purposeless. Something that would be worth our time could be making the old illni logo more modern but these are honestly worthless in a design sense since they were already done.

Jake88%2BSignture.png

I like the banner logo where the "I" is only in the blue field.

One of the concepts that I've always thought of is the concept of a "Fire Chief" for Chief Illinowek. Granted, there is a lot of controversy surrounding the Chief, but I think a Firefighter would open the door for a lot of more creative styles/logos. It would also be an honorable symbol.

5f6789e7-80cd-4d9b-af90-b70a526ce9c2.jpg

Archived