Noble's Los Angeles Clippers Redesign

Noble

Hey everybody, this is my first concept. Its been in the works since the whole Sterling controversy started, I figure if the Clippers want to rebrand now is as good of a time as any. I think the Clippers should move away from their Lakers-esque logo and generic red, white, and blue color scheme. Luckily they have plenty of history to draw from, and I tried to incorporate a little bit from each era of Clippers/Braves history.

Starting with the logo, which is inspired by the lone unique logo in Clippers history.

5452.gif

Three white sails, a rising orange sun, and the team name. The old Clipper is rotated 90 degrees so the ship is facing the audience. The major design elements are retained. There are three white sails and a rising orange sun (which doubles as a basketball).

PrimaryonWhite_zpsb148c90e.png

Logos_zps6f91f189.png

HomeUniform_zpsd4619f69.png

RoadUniform_zpse890ca3f.png

AltUniform_zps58320cda.pngUniElements_zpsa37fa1ea.png

Sorry, but a real clipper's sails are quite different. The three triangular sails in the old logo were just the beginning of many more.3197AUC.3L.jpg?76

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

Is there a reason for the stars? If not they look very amateur.

Los Angeles Stars reference maybe?

chris-paul-wears-los-angeles-stars-cp3.v

As for the sets, I like the primary logo, but hate that font. It's way to overused. Keep with the cursive font and add Los Angeles above it. I also don't like the jerseys. The side panels are too much, they really need to be toned down, maybe to look more similar to the shorts. Overall, the colors are great, I like the main and secondary logos minus the font, but I'm not a big fan of the jerseys.

spacer.png

The primary logo is an interesting shape, not one that I've seen used for a Clippers concept yet. While I like the idea of the front-facing ship, the sails don't really look anything like a true clipper ship (sportsherald posted a pic above). Also, some of your line work in the logo could be improved. The curves on the sails are a little too choppy, for lack of a better term. It appears you're using a vector program, so I think a good rule of thumb is use as few nodes as possible when drawing simple curves like those used on the sails. Another good technique would be to use different sized circles as your guide to get a true smooth curve. Here's some examples of what I mean:

dribbble.jpgdeer_practice.png

On the uniforms: the numbers are a tad too big and the NOB should be moved up much closer to the collar. Other than that, they're not bad, but the nautical flags feel forced and tacked on.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

The orange is throwing this off and, ultimately, makes me look at this as if it's a knock off of the Knicks. For me, if you switch back to red, this would improve greatly.

And, yes, the font is overused.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

LIKE:

- base graphic to primary logo

- use of orange with light blue

- round secondary logo

- shorts template

DISLIKE:

- nautical flags (unpopular opinion?)

- fonts

- stars (on both tops and shorts)

- collars

ujsignature.png

Archived