High School Alma Mater Logo (WIP)

kewp80

So it's been awhile since I've posted anything of my own on here so decided to post this work in progress to see what you guys think and hopefully get some good C&C.

Anyway, this is a concept logo for my High School alma mater Hickman High School here in Columbia, MO.

First a little history and info: The Kewpie was created by an artist and writer named Rose O'Neill. You can get more info on them and her here. Back in 1914, right at the height of the Kewpie doll's popularity, the then known Columbia High School football team was going up against a much bigger and stronger team. A newspaper reporter at the game said the Columbia team came out on to the field smiling like "Kewpies" and the name has stuck ever since.

So one would assume that it would be pretty difficult for a school named after a naked baby/cupid like thing to be able to have a good logo, for which it's sports teams and other clubs and activities related to the school, to really be proud to use. Even though there really is a lot of pride in the school for its unique nickname it also gets a lot of teasing from students from other schools in the area. Especially when the other two schools in the city have mascots like the Bruins and Spartans. In fact, that I know of, none of the sports teams use the current Kewpie logo anywhere on their uniforms.

This is where I started off from. I wanted a Kewpie logo that students could be proud to wear around. One with a little more intimidation, but not too much as that would defeat the purpose of a Kewpie. I also wanted to give the brand identity more action and also be more relative of a Kewpie than just a naked looking baby.

For more reference you can see the current Kewpie logo here. The football team uses a CH logo similar to the Canadians logo seen on this guys helmet. And another more custom one (as far as I know) seen here on the wall of the baseball stadium.

If you read through all of that then kudos for you! Now for the real reason you clicked on this thread:

Kewpies.png

So I wanted to try and escape the whole naked baby thing first and foremost and make the blue wing that is the real defining character of a Kewpie. At first I just had the wing yellow since there is no blue anywhere in the schools color palette, but once I tried it I really liked it as it really says Kewpie rather than just a naked baby. I also wanted the sense of the school moving forward. As with the new Battle High School being built a new era has begun in Columbia. So I put the Kewpie in a running pose to signify that ever forward progress. I wanted to keep a link to the past and the old logo with the Kewpie still doing his whole "we're number one" thing going on with his pointed finger, which is also pointing forward.

So I know I'm not done, just been stuck on this for the past month or so. Coming back to it again and again. I think I have a really good start. Would just like to know what you guys think and where it could be improved.

Appreciate your time :)

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

I think you have the main idea of it down really well. There are just a few technical things that you need to clean up (the feet, some areas around the outline, putting the back leg in more shadow). Keep it up.

First thing throwing me off is that the back leg looks too much like a tail without any detail on the foot.

Doh! I forgot to do that foot. Man I'm embarrased now. Thanks! That will be the first thing I do tonight.

So other than the feet, detail and shading on the back leg, and cleaning up of the outlines anyone else see anything?

Thanks for the comments guys!

Check out my music!

First thing throwing me off is that the back leg looks too much like a tail without any detail on the foot.

Doh! I forgot to do that foot. Man I'm embarrased now. Thanks! That will be the first thing I do tonight.

So other than the feet, detail and shading on the back leg, and cleaning up of the outlines anyone else see anything?

I think you should find at least one more area where you could sneak in some more blue. It looks real lonely on that wing. Maybe the eyes?

I think you should find at least one more area where you could sneak in some more blue. It looks real lonely on that wing. Maybe the eyes?

Well in the OP I said that the light blue isn't a part of the school's color scheme. The wing is blue because a traditional Kewpie's wing is blue. One of the main purposes of this rebrand was to make it look more like a Kewpie than just a naked baby.

Check out my music!

Archived