Twins Uniform Update for 2015

OnWis97

Since the mothership can "100%" confirm the Twins are making significant uniform changes, I (a biased Twins fan) think it's threadworthy.

http://news.sportslogos.net/2014/11/04/farewell-pinstripes-twins-dropping-classic-look/

The Twins have really had three looks, all pretty basic red/white/blue. The mid-70s to 1986 look sticks out like a sore thumb because of the lack of pinstripes and the dedication to 70's/80s trends (huge arm cuffs, sansabelt, etc.). But really, the Twins have never gone too crazy. Even bad alts (DQ alt, sleeveless home alt) have maintained the color scheme.

So this is kinda a big deal (to the extent that anything involving the Twins can be).

Gold? On a hat? On the pinstripeless home primary?

I REALLY don't like where this is headed. I was pretty used to these uniforms and figured the only possible change would be to that cream throwback (and accompanying road change). I don't LOVE the current uniform, but I do like that they have stuck with the basics (as much as anyone outside of the Yankees) and don't feel they need a third color after over 50 years.

As always, wait until it comes out, but even if it looks great, I will miss the R/W/B-only...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would guess it will be an outline around the whole thing.

Actually, this hat has the potential to address the "not really able to see the 'C' issue" caused by the red not having enough contrast against the blue.

But I thought they did great with the 2010 update (the hat issue being the only problem). The de-clunkified the wordmark (particuarly the "s") dumped the road pinstripes, which were getting a bit tired, and dumped the nameplates (which looked so bad on pinstripes). So I figured they'd sit tight for a while.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

Stick with the basics as much as anyone besides the Yankees? The team that wore a completely different hat logo as recently as 2001, and only started wearing their current road hat in 2010. The team with 3 alternates and three different kinds of scripts? The team who's longest continuously serving logo (primary home wordmark) only dates back to 1987? Yeah totally as basic as the Tigers and Dodgers...

I really don't mind the Twins changing it up, but this...doesn't sound like it will end well. At least Gold will work better for them than the Giants or Mariners, and there's one less purely navy and red team, but still...

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

I generally don't care one iota about the Twins, but this is criminal. As I read the article, my reaction went from "why? :( " ...to the mention of the gold trim, at which point it turned to "are you :censored: serious!"

Like Phils Phan, I really don't like where this is going. They're taking a perfectly fine set that could've stood for maybe a few minor tweaks, and muddling it all up. I don't understand.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

depends on your definition of the basics...my reference to the Yankees as the only team (I think) to have never worn an alt.

The basics here are two very traditional colors and no BFBS...I guess they've done the "full-time throwback alt" that some teams have not. The addition of gold changes this, regardless of how good it looks. And it's not their job to reduce the number of navy and red teams. (It's nobody's).

This is quite a change for them.

POTD (Shared)

Yeah, I can't really see this ending well. I think the Twins unis are kind of boring right now, but adding yellow trim and removing pinstripes aren't the way to fix it.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Pretty surprised by this as well. I am still somewhat annoyed with the Twins when they dropped the home blue alt last season after I spent money on Mauer authentic one the season before.

I would be interested to see how this turns out but gold is an interesting choice. Old gold? Athletic gold (is that the color around the patch on the home jerseys?)?

The 2010 revamp was a colossal failure. The new wordmark was good, but that was it. The road jersey was underwhelming, and it was a terrible decision to pair it with a red-brimmed cap. Not only had the Twins never worn a red-brimmed cap, but they were copying the division-rival Indians. In redoing their wordmark and home jerseys, they immediately undercut both by wearing throwbacks, with a more unique and visually pleasing navy outlined in red, and using them for the very first game of the new era. I said it a thousand times, but they should have made everything on the home jersey navy outlined in red. That way there wouldn't have ever been a demand for the throwbacks. From the unveiling, it was clear the fans liked the throwbacks more, even though their new ballpark had a multi-million dollar giant logo scoreboard.

I don't like the pinstripes leaving, but the Twins definitely shouldn't be experimenting with adding gold at this point in their established identity. This will be a failure akin to the Royals adding black. It will last 3 or so years, everyone will hate it, and it will be removed.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

This reminds me of when the Indians added silver. I can't imagine how it won't be garbage.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The 2010 revamp was a colossal failure. The new wordmark was good, but that was it. The road jersey was underwhelming, and it was a terrible decision to pair it with a red-brimmed cap. Not only had the Twins never worn a red-brimmed cap, but they were copying the division-rival Indians. In redoing their wordmark and home jerseys, they immediately undercut both by wearing throwbacks, with a more unique and visually pleasing navy outlined in red, and using them for the very first game of the new era. I said it a thousand times, but they should have made everything on the home jersey navy outlined in red. That way there wouldn't have ever been a demand for the throwbacks. From the unveiling, it was clear the fans liked the throwbacks more, even though their new ballpark had a multi-million dollar giant logo scoreboard.

I don't like the pinstripes leaving, but the Twins definitely shouldn't be experimenting with adding gold at this point in their established identity. This will be a failure akin to the Royals adding black. It will last 3 or so years, everyone will hate it, and it will be removed.

I don't think it was a "colossal failure" but you make some good points. I kinda forgot about the road cap, which I suppose was meant to sell a bit more merchandise (I rarely see that hat at Target Field). I felt that the overall cleanup of the home jersey was great and the new road jersey, while not great, was an improvement.

You are right that the home throwback ended up undercutting it...I thought it was nice that they wore it on opening day but they should have dumped it after year one...then they wore it every home game for the remainder of the season after Harmon Killebrew died (in May?). And I have definitely felt that it is too present now.

Your point about the scoreboard is interesting. I've kinda wondered whether there may have already been a change to the throwback if not for that scoreboard wordmark.

POTD (Shared)

Archived