San Jose Sharks Rebrand | UPDATE | Jan. 24

Go Red Sox!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest darkpiranha

If new curved shark was the final version, I would be perfectly happy with it. Dynamic and it flows well. For the straight shark out in the wild, I'd be "Hey... isn't that a shark?" With the curved one, it's "Ah!! Shark!", which I think is the feeling you're probably going for.

As a general question for whoever, are there any established logos that have a figure passing through a shape like the shark was in the triangle? In my brain, that just looks awkward, and my brain is telling me that I've never seen a mainstream logo do that, but nothing is coming to mind as an example so I may just have been totally off-base.

A couple of things. Have you designed this as just a black and white image to find the proper shape that works? The other thing I noticed right away, is that the grey and aqua are of similar tone and thus compete against each other. I'd drop one of the colors to have a stronger concept.

A couple of things. Have you designed this as just a black and white image to find the proper shape that works? The other thing I noticed right away, is that the grey and aqua are of similar tone and thus compete against each other. I'd drop one of the colors to have a stronger concept.

Hi, oddball. Thanks for your comment.

To answer your first question: Partially, but not completely. I didn't want to use black as the set's main color, so I decided to create a very dark, blueish teal, and therefore had to find an appropriate color that still gained sufficient contrast when interacting with that dark teal. I also didn'twant to nix the basic colors of the Sharks original palette. So I had to use a shading color that needed to be saturated sufficiently, and of course, also bright enough to cause enough contrast. I know, it would have been easier to stay with black, but

that has actually been of the reasons why I designed this concept. I never liked the Sharks using black as their main color. Black is beautiful, no doubt, but I wanted to give the Sharks a little more oceanic look in terms of coloration.

I really don't want to drop gray, because it's needed to at least outlining all the logos. Nevertheless, you're 100% right about gray being to similar to aqua. Wouldn't be such a big deal, but due to several color changes I completely missed the dorsal fin logo, where parts of the logo itself, not just the outlines, are gray. To avoid this blurry and unwanted effect, I decided to darken gray. It's now harmonizing a lot better than before. For uniform use, those gray outlines could easily be replaced by white ones, at least on the dark teal uni, to gain more contrast.

Sharks%20primary%20logo_zpsxgolqrrm.png

Sharks%20alternate%20dorsal%20fin%20logo

Sharks%20roundel%20logo_zpsr9kmaspq.png

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

Quoting everyone else. "Where are the unis"

Still don't know whether to make uniforms or not. I'm not really a uniform guy, specially not when it's about the NHL. There are real experts like MrWonka, who you could wake up at 3 am, asking them to create a uni concept within the next hour and it yet would be a dozen times better than mine.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

Would you mind if we try to make some unis to go with these?

You should still give it a try! Or atleast I will haha. Great work on the logos, they're awesome

Go ahead, guys! It's totally okay by me, whoever is planning to do that, unless you name the logos being your product.

Alright took a stab at some unis. How do these look?

Wasn't sure about the pants because IDK how the Ducks would like them but I thought they looked good.

Let the person making the logos do the jerseys don't take over his thread

Dude its not a big deal. TylerG was just asking for GoRedSox! opinion of the uniform with his logos on it. Its not like he was posting a ton of concepts in this thread. GoRedSox! even said he wasn't probably going to do uniforms because that's not what he's good at.

JeKhnr9.png

It actually is a big deal. The OP has the option to present us with unis IN HIS OWN THREAD at his discretion. We--the viewers--do not.

Let the person making the logos do the jerseys don't take over his thread

He said it was okay for us to make some uniforms with his logos. I didn't mean to "take over the thread". I just didn't feel it was necessary to start another whole thread just to post what I posted. I'll remove my post if necessary.

Archived