Cosmic

6 hours ago, the admiral said:

NONE OF THAT MATTERS WITHOUT THE SPENGLER CUP! HOW DARE YOU DISRESPECT THE SPENGLER CUP!

If only he played in Europe during the lockout

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris Phillips retired today. He might be the least heralded #1 pick ever. Drafted in 96, played his whole career with the Senators, stay at home defenseman and saw the Senators rise to prominence, but that's still a really good career. 

Looking at it now the Senators were the Oilers of the day. They picked #1 overall in 93, 95, and 96 and that resulted in Alexandre Daigle, Bryan Berard, and Chris Phillips. Daigle was one of the biggest busts ever, especially considering Pronger went #2, Berard refused to report and Ottawa traded him to Long Island for Wade Redden and Damian Rhodes, and then Phillips.  

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Looking at it now the Senators were the Oilers of the day. They picked #1 overall in 93, 95, and 96 and that resulted in Alexandre Daigle, Bryan Berard, and Chris Phillips.

HFUsenet was like "the rules must be changed to stop the Senators from picking first AINEC! Are the Nordiques quietly roaring back?"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Dustin Brown has been stripped of his captaincy by the Kings.

Haha... HAHA... HAHAHAHA... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... HA!

Amazing.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Just now, Ice_Cap said:

What took them this long?

Dean Lombardi opened up GeneralFanager this morning and said "we're paying him what!?!" realizing he was paying his beloved 31-year-old, 2-time Cup-raising captain who hasn't scored more than 30 points in four years more than Jonathan Quick. And because they haven't won the Cup in just two years? Missing the playoffs and losing in the first round to the friggin Sharks?

It's actually pretty strange. Yeah, Dustin Brown is a garbage player, but he's still your two-time Cup captain. Not often do you see the guy that's lifted the Cup lose the C just two years later. It's not like he hasn't been "the leader" on a successful team. So yeah, like you said, it's weird that it took them this long.

But don't worry, I'm sure he'll be a shoo in to wear the C in Las Vegas.

2 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Dustin Brown has been stripped of his captaincy by the Kings.

Haha... HAHA... HAHAHAHA... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... HA!

Amazing.

life_e_photo13.jpg

life_e_photo13.jpg

life_e_photo13.jpg

life_e_photo13.jpg

life_e_photo13.jpg

life_e_photo13.jpg

life_e_photo13.jpg

life_e_photo13.jpg

life_e_photo13.jpg

3 hours ago, cmm said:

What does Kyle Okposo have to do to get named to an Olympic or World Cup team?

7f31f9535bff49697670783ba9017e32.jpg

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

The more I learn about the World Cup, the more of a joke it becomes. Besides the actual tournament running from 9/17 until either 9/29 or 10/1, there are exhibition games and training camps going all the way back to 9/4. So two teams' players will be away from their NHL clubs for almost a month, and then have around 5 days to get ready for the season? What if you sign or trade for a World Cup player in the offseason? The players are generally difference makers; it's the entire NHL boiled down to 8 teams. They'll have hardly any time to get used to their new teammates.

Teams are having training camps in their countries. Team USA is in Columbus. Team Canada is in Ottawa. Team Russia is in some TBD city that doesn't mind pissing off the KHL.  Like the country-less refugees that they are, Team Europe is having their training camp in Montreal and Quebec City? And sharing space with Team North America?

Yes, this whole thing is very stupid, and only slightly stupider than shutting down in the middle of 2018 so everyone can go to South Korea.

13 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I would take PK Subban over 6, maybe 7, of the defenseman on Canada's roster. 

Wait a minute, Subban didn't make it? I just kind of accepted his inclusion as a given and didn't look for his name.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Nope. Subban didn't make it for Canada but JAKE MUZZIN did. Also missing for Canada are Taylor Hall and Corey Perry, but Brad Marchand gets to go.

Tyler Johnson and Kessel didn't make it for Team USA, but Tortorella's guys like Callahan and Dubinsky made it. Somehow the Johnsons, Jack and Erik, made the team too.

Kovalchuk wasn't selected for Russia, but there are four KHL players including Slava Voynov (for now... It is an NHL/PA event, and they have the right to bar him from competing, I understand).

What's it going to take to get P.K. Subban to the Hawks? Apparently the entire nation of Canada hates him.

52 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Tyler Johnson and Kessel didn't make it for Team USA, but Tortorella's guys like Callahan and Dubinsky made it. Somehow the Johnsons, Jack and Erik, made the team too.

This really is gonna be the sh-tshow to end all sh-tshows, isn't it.

2 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Subban didn't make it for Canada but JAKE MUZZIN did.

When I scanned the list after @McCarthy's comment, it was pretty much, "Well, I guess I could see that.  He's pretty solid.  That's probably a 50-50 shot.  Jake effing Muzzin?!"

Choosing Jake Muzzin was really the only 100% mess-up Canada did in my eyes. Apparently the reasoning behind picking Muzzin was to have another LHD since they only had Vlasic and Keith, but even then there's still Giordano and Brodie. Subban really isn't that great of a player as you guys make him out to be (no way was he a lock) although I'd rather have him there over Weber, considering he makes just as many if not more boneheaded mistakes as PK. After the playoffs Pietrangelo was having, I would have been shocked if he wasn't there and picking between Burns and Letang was simply a coin flip. Perry didn't have the best season so it's understandable how he'd be left off, but even then I'd rather have him over Jeff Carter. Marchand was a good pick in my eyes considering his play at the World Champs and due to his short-handed abilities. Adding Duchene was a bone-headed move, though. On a team loaded with centers, why not pick up ANOTHER CENTER! Hall would have been a much more suitable addition considering Duchene would be playing wing any way. Hall also had a better year than Duchene who only started to pick up near the ASG.

Selection grade: B+

Oh boy did the US mess up big time. My favorite selection that was made was Jack Johnson over Justin Faulk, Kevin Shattenkirk and Torey Krug (the 3 d-men I believed they would add). Man is he a bad d-man. He'd be a low top 4 d-man on any team and possibly a bottom pairing on a solid defensive team. Adding Abdelkader to the preliminary roster was idiotic when they added a ton of unneeded grit to this team. I could understand leaving Kessel out considering the amount of goal-scorers on the team, but he should have been there over Oshie. Dubinsky's line will probably simply be a shutdown line against Crosby considering their past. 

Selection grade: C

17 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

I'm not saying Jake Muzzin should've made it out of some of the names that were excluded, but, umm, Jake Muzzin is a lot better than he seems to be getting credit for here. Jake Muzzin would be worthy of any national team roster if he wasn't Canadian. 

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. He's only ever considered as good because he plays with Doughty and has good advanced stats. 

Archived