MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

12 hours ago, njdevs7 said:

Have any players ever complained about the teams wearing similar jerseys? Obviously it usually doesn't matter in baseball, but I could see scenarios where it would. If an outfielder is fielding a ball and looks up to throw it may take an extra .5 second to distinguish if a player is a cut off man or a base runner, something like that.

I'm obviously not a major league baseball player, but I was a (very mediocre) high school pitcher and I once threw to second base for a pickoff thinking it was my shortstop when it was actually the baserunner on the other team who was wearing the same color jerseys as us. The ball went into the outfield and the runner went to third. Wouldn't have happened if our shirts were different colors. I knew as I was letting go of the ball that I was making a mistake, but it was too late in that split second to stop myself and that split second of confusion was all it took. When I got back into the dugout the coach asked me what I was thinking and I told him the truth "thought he was the shortstop and thought the shortstop was the runner". 

That's another reason alternates shouldn't be worn in the same game - it looks high schoolish and/or little league and/or spring training. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, tohasbo said:

True. The Red Sox do as well.

Orioles is Black Alternate on Friday home and road games with orange going the same way.  
Boston wears red alternates for Friday home games and blue alternate for Friday road games unless the home team dons an alternate.  If the latter happens, Boston wears their road grays on Friday road games.

I think Pittsburgh does the Stargell throwback things on Sundays, Phillies have that red alternate for day time home games and the cream one is weekend day games?

Everyone else I have no idea but can easily figure it all out.  

The Mariners have a set schedule at home, but not on the road. They wear the teal jerseys with the teal-brimmed caps for Friday home games, and the cream and royal fauxbacks on Sundays. And then obviously they wear the whites the rest of the time (barring special circumstances like a throwback night). They're pretty sporadic on the road though, with no real rhyme or reason for when they wear the navy alts in place of the gray tops.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On 5/11/2017 at 9:28 AM, aawagner011 said:

These kinda remind me of the Rays plaid caps.

They have started selling these caps at the ballpark, but I never guessed it would be used in an actual game.  On Fanatics, they are called "turn back the clock" caps, but that's a misnomer as these were never worn before.  Also, Saturday is Orange Jersey day, so I'm very curious how this will all play out on 5/20.

5 minutes ago, mjd77 said:

Wearing the orange hat once in awhile wouldn't kill them either.

They're on a nasty run of 12 losses in 15 games, this morning I was thinking that now would be a great time for someone to bring up the idea of breaking out the orange caps as a slump buster.

22 minutes ago, mjd77 said:

15 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

They're on a nasty run of 12 losses in 15 games, this morning I was thinking that now would be a great time for someone to bring up the idea of breaking out the orange caps as a slump buster.

I thought they discontinued the red-orange cap?

1 hour ago, Bill81361 said:

They have started selling these caps at the ballpark, but I never guessed it would be used in an actual game.  On Fanatics, they are called "turn back the clock" caps, but that's a misnomer as these were never worn before.  Also, Saturday is Orange Jersey day, so I'm very curious how this will all play out on 5/20.

It's also Maryland flag jersey giveaway day, so my bets are they're wearing the (on field version of ) the giveaways 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

1 hour ago, tohasbo said:

As far as I know, the caps are in the Marlins style guide and are available to them. They as a team have just chosen not to wear them since April of 2014 but they do still exist. The fact that they are available currently with the New Era logo on the side and the ASG patch on the other side seems to be a pretty big sign of this. Imagine that, a 2017 version of a cap that will never see the field. 

16 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

It's also Maryland flag jersey giveaway day, so my bets are they're wearing the (on field version of ) the giveaways 

Oh...God.  That's going to be one fugly thing.  That's something I'd expect one of their minor league affiliates (Bowie, Frederick, Delmarva or Abredeen when their season starts in mid-June) to do 

1 minute ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

As far as I know, the caps are in the Marlins style guide and are available to them. They as a team have just chosen not to wear them since April of 2014 but they do still exist. The fact that they are available currently with the New Era logo on the side and the ASG patch on the other side seems to be a pretty big sign of this. Imagine that, a 2017 version of a cap that will never see the field. 

Which is a damn shame because I like that hat a lot.  Granted I am no Marlins fan but would buy it on the simple fact of the color pops and it fits more for them over the black.  Times like that make me wish they never dove into the black at all.  

Just now, tohasbo said:

Which is a damn shame because I like that hat a lot.  Granted I am no Marlins fan but would buy it on the simple fact of the color pops and it fits more for them over the black.  Times like that make me wish they never dove into the black at all.  

It's been years since it was actually said but it has been noted that that cap is the best selling piece of Marlins merchandise... why don't they wear it is beyond everyone.

5 minutes ago, tohasbo said:

Oh...God.  That's going to be one fugly thing.  That's something I'd expect one of their minor league affiliates (Bowie, Frederick, Delmarva or Abredeen when their season starts in mid-June) to do 

It's not actually terrible. 

s-l225.jpg

As far as flag jerseys go, pretty well done. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

1 hour ago, mjd77 said:

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

1 hour ago, tohasbo said:

7 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

5 minutes ago, tohasbo said:

1 minute ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

It's been years since it was actually said but it has been noted that that cap is the best selling piece of Marlins merchandise... why don't they wear it is beyond everyone.

That's ridiculous.  If you have a hat that is your top seller, you'd think common sense would tell you wear it more often.  

Loria is an idiot.  Once he sells that team, I think things could get better.  Step 1 would be scrap the black nonsense and go back to the original roots.  Step 2 is get rid of that $3 million eye sore in the outfield

26 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

The Rays have a jersey schedule as well. Light blue on Sunday home games, navy on day games (H/A), white/grey all other games.

Eh that's close, but the navy jersey schedule isn't as strictly followed.  day games at home usually get the navy jersey, but Saturday games at home can go either way.  I've seen some 4pm starts wear navy and some don't.

On the road, there really isn't much of a schedule. Sometimes the navy is worn a whole series no matter the start time, sometimes not...

The only consistency is that M-F night games at home are white, Sunday home games no matter the time is light blue.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I don't know if it's just at Marlins Park or data from somewhere else but somewhere they were saying for merchandise sales the orange caps outsell the black ones almost 2-1.  Don't know why the team doesn't seem to like them.  With a color palette like they have it is foolish that they rely on black so much.

Archived