Fanatics to make replica NHL jerseys

JGraz15

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

$170 for a replica made by Fanatics (who has little to no reputation as a manufacturer) that may not look too much like the on-ice sweater. That is the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard. Anyone remember back to the early 90s when replicas were in the $60-70 range?

ABSOLUTELY! when I was a kid buying replicas during that time...you had 2 materials to choose from:

•  "Replica" that was a polyester material similar to soccer jersey. It wasn't as "thick" as what they wore on the ice. These were the cheaper option and ran $50-$70 (in 1990's money). As I remember, they fit more like a long-sleeved t-shirt. 
  • "Pro" that was a material very similar to what they wore on the ice. Thicker material than the replica. These had a much more athletic cut and fit more like a proper jersey. They ran $70-$90.

No matter which one you purchased, though, they had all the patches, bells, and whistles that the team wore on the ice. 

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Fanatics is already doing this with the NFL "Pro Line" jerseys that they sell on their site. 

The NHL replica jerseys will be the same as the current replicas in terms of how close they are to the on-ice product. 

I'm surprised that adidas is giving up this space completely. Under Armour is doing a split deal with Fanatics for MLB that will still have the UA branding on the Fanatics-made replicas. Even though they have the supply chain already in place with the Reebok products, hockey jerseys are a big-margin product like NFL and NBA jerseys, so I'm not surprised at the deal they made, just surprised adidas didn't keep a piece of it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2016 at 9:02 AM, agentrygraphics said:

ABSOLUTELY! when I was a kid buying replicas during that time...you had 2 materials to choose from:

•  "Replica" that was a polyester material similar to soccer jersey. It wasn't as "thick" as what they wore on the ice. These were the cheaper option and ran $50-$70 (in 1990's money). As I remember, they fit more like a long-sleeved t-shirt. 
  • "Pro" that was a material very similar to what they wore on the ice. Thicker material than the replica. These had a much more athletic cut and fit more like a proper jersey. They ran $70-$90.

No matter which one you purchased, though, they had all the patches, bells, and whistles that the team wore on the ice. 

I remember the days when some teams had mesh jerseys.  For example, the Flyers used mesh for a while before switching to the poly that you're discussing.  Some other teams just had the poly.  Then the air-knit became popular. 

I still have an old mesh Flyers replica from late '80s that, in addition to the CCM tag on the back, has the retailer's tag as well (which was common back then.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 10/27/2016 at 4:38 AM, ldconcepts said:

It also looks like this is our first look at actual adidas NHL jerseys. The NHL logo on the collar is there, and there's no adidas stripes (which may or may not mean anything)

I think the authentics will have the adidas stripes. As will the jerseys the players will be wearing. We've seen the stripes on the sides at WCOH, but what if they are on the sleeve cuffs? Wouldn't be that noticeable on a player...

7 minutes ago, coltravesty said:

I think the authentics will have the adidas stripes. As will the jerseys the players will be wearing. We've seen the stripes on the sides at WCOH, but what if they are on the sleeve cuffs? Wouldn't be that noticeable on a player...

Adidas owns reebok, and every single NHL jersey that has been released under Adidas-owned Reebok has not had the three stripes... Adidas did have them for the WCoH, but they've released some new jerseys in that template that have not had the three stripes. The Leafs, Kings, Flyers, and Panthers new jerseys have all used those templates, which were all created by Adidas, and NONE of them have the three stripes... 

Also, how would you put the stripes on the cuffs? The reason Adidas put the stripes on the sides is so that you can see them, and if you put them on the cuffs they'd be covered by the glove... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

10 hours ago, coltravesty said:

None of the CFL jerseys have three stripes, and Adidas has the contract. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

This thread is making me feel really nostalgic for the 90s.

I started collecting jerseys back then and the quality for the price was great. I managed to pick up a lot of great jerseys and I think the most expensive was maybe $80 (a replica Albany River Rats jersey). That ended with the Reebok contract as the price jumped and the quality dropped significantly (no more embroidered shoulder patches, lighter material, etc.). While it helped that the vast majority of early Reebok jerseys were dreadful, I have yet to pick up an NHL jersey since 2007.

While I appreciate the optimism that some folks have expressed, all the signals coming from Fanatics seem to stress profit and "wearability" over authenticity and quality. Its a real shame that the contract is as long as it is too...its possible that the NHL could lose an entire generation.

I just hope the payout from Fanatics was worth it.

On 11/6/2016 at 1:58 AM, ElwoodCuse said:

Haha what a load of garbage this is. Guess I'll just go ahead and pick up a game-worn scrub Penguins jersey instead. I'd rather pay $200-ish for an authentic jersey of a rookie camp scrub than $170 for a screen print off brand Crosby.

You're really calling players that went to an NHL rookie camp "scrubs"? How far did you get in your hockey career?

14 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Adidas owns reebok, and every single NHL jersey that has been released under Adidas-owned Reebok has not had the three stripes... Adidas did have them for the WCoH, but they've released some new jerseys in that template that have not had the three stripes. The Leafs, Kings, Flyers, and Panthers new jerseys have all used those templates, which were all created by Adidas, and NONE of them have the three stripes... 

Also, how would you put the stripes on the cuffs? The reason Adidas put the stripes on the sides is so that you can see them, and if you put them on the cuffs they'd be covered by the glove... 

but visible on fans. Gotta think of more than players. I saw a photo of a boys hockey game where their jerseys had 3 stripes on the sleeve. Wasn't an adidas jersey, but I thought it was interesting.

8148da32e771cbbbfa6ef36c5c17d146

Maybe it's just me, but the jersey the guy's wearing doesn't look any different from the existing Reebok cuts. Looks like it might just be a simple logo swap after all. The pricing isn't much different either.

I already accepted that there might be an Addy-dass logo on future jersey purchases assuming I plan on making any, but at this point I'm pretty much indifferent to whatever manufacturer logo is there. Fanatics is fine and whatever for replicas I suppose. But let's see how they turn out first.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

4 hours ago, coltravesty said:

but visible on fans. Gotta think of more than players. I saw a photo of a boys hockey game where their jerseys had 3 stripes on the sleeve. Wasn't an adidas jersey, but I thought it was interesting.

Yeah, but the players are usually noticed first before fans...

Also there's a lot of jerseys that have had three stripes long before Adidas started that part of their branding... 

And here's the difference between Sleeve CUFFS and Sleeve STRIPES...

Cuffs        Stripes

^                ^

rpb7pohmzsizochhl9viaiyxu.gif

You mentioned putting the stripes on the Cuffs. Those are hidden by the players gloves...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

57 minutes ago, EddieJ1984 said:

I'm more talking about the poses they are doing, like seriously what is he doing? Looking down and away?

Can't be because he heard a joke from the girl, since she is just lookin away at space.

there's a cute puppy down there.  Or a baby crawling around.  They're kinda the same thing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived