Sign in to follow this  
JGraz15

Fanatics to make replica NHL jerseys

Recommended Posts

As BeerGuyJordan said, if the new Fanatics-made retail jerseys look close enough to the on-ice version, than that's all that matters to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad I just got this at a pro image sports store on clearance for $40 last weekend.

LknRIRU.jpg

 

It'll be interesting to see if say fanatics would still use felt on the crest like this replica does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

$170 for a replica made by Fanatics (who has little to no reputation as a manufacturer) that may not look too much like the on-ice sweater. That is the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard. Anyone remember back to the early 90s when replicas were in the $60-70 range?

 

 

ABSOLUTELY! when I was a kid buying replicas during that time...you had 2 materials to choose from:

 

  •  "Replica" that was a polyester material similar to soccer jersey. It wasn't as "thick" as what they wore on the ice. These were the cheaper option and ran $50-$70 (in 1990's money). As I remember, they fit more like a long-sleeved t-shirt. 
  • "Pro" that was a material very similar to what they wore on the ice. Thicker material than the replica. These had a much more athletic cut and fit more like a proper jersey. They ran $70-$90.

No matter which one you purchased, though, they had all the patches, bells, and whistles that the team wore on the ice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fanatics is already doing this with the NFL "Pro Line" jerseys that they sell on their site. 

 

The NHL replica jerseys will be the same as the current replicas in terms of how close they are to the on-ice product. 

 

I'm surprised that adidas is giving up this space completely. Under Armour is doing a split deal with Fanatics for MLB that will still have the UA branding on the Fanatics-made replicas. Even though they have the supply chain already in place with the Reebok products, hockey jerseys are a big-margin product like NFL and NBA jerseys, so I'm not surprised at the deal they made, just surprised adidas didn't keep a piece of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha what a load of garbage this is. Guess I'll just go ahead and pick up a game-worn scrub Penguins jersey instead. I'd rather pay $200-ish for an authentic jersey of a rookie camp scrub than $170 for a screen print off brand Crosby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2016 at 9:02 AM, agentrygraphics said:

 

 

ABSOLUTELY! when I was a kid buying replicas during that time...you had 2 materials to choose from:

 

  •  "Replica" that was a polyester material similar to soccer jersey. It wasn't as "thick" as what they wore on the ice. These were the cheaper option and ran $50-$70 (in 1990's money). As I remember, they fit more like a long-sleeved t-shirt. 
  • "Pro" that was a material very similar to what they wore on the ice. Thicker material than the replica. These had a much more athletic cut and fit more like a proper jersey. They ran $70-$90.

No matter which one you purchased, though, they had all the patches, bells, and whistles that the team wore on the ice. 

 

I remember the days when some teams had mesh jerseys.  For example, the Flyers used mesh for a while before switching to the poly that you're discussing.  Some other teams just had the poly.  Then the air-knit became popular. 

 

I still have an old mesh Flyers replica from late '80s that, in addition to the CCM tag on the back, has the retailer's tag as well (which was common back then.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2016 at 4:38 AM, ldconcepts said:

It also looks like this is our first look at actual adidas NHL jerseys. The NHL logo on the collar is there, and there's no adidas stripes (which may or may not mean anything)

I think the authentics will have the adidas stripes. As will the jerseys the players will be wearing. We've seen the stripes on the sides at WCOH, but what if they are on the sleeve cuffs? Wouldn't be that noticeable on a player...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, coltravesty said:

I think the authentics will have the adidas stripes. As will the jerseys the players will be wearing. We've seen the stripes on the sides at WCOH, but what if they are on the sleeve cuffs? Wouldn't be that noticeable on a player...

Adidas owns reebok, and every single NHL jersey that has been released under Adidas-owned Reebok has not had the three stripes... Adidas did have them for the WCoH, but they've released some new jerseys in that template that have not had the three stripes. The Leafs, Kings, Flyers, and Panthers new jerseys have all used those templates, which were all created by Adidas, and NONE of them have the three stripes... 

 

Also, how would you put the stripes on the cuffs? The reason Adidas put the stripes on the sides is so that you can see them, and if you put them on the cuffs they'd be covered by the glove... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, coltravesty said:

I think the authentics will have the adidas stripes. As will the jerseys the players will be wearing. We've seen the stripes on the sides at WCOH, but what if they are on the sleeve cuffs? Wouldn't be that noticeable on a player...

None of the CFL jerseys have three stripes, and Adidas has the contract. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread is making me feel really nostalgic for the 90s.

 

I started collecting jerseys back then and the quality for the price was great. I managed to pick up a lot of great jerseys and I think the most expensive was maybe $80 (a replica Albany River Rats jersey). That ended with the Reebok contract as the price jumped and the quality dropped significantly (no more embroidered shoulder patches, lighter material, etc.). While it helped that the vast majority of early Reebok jerseys were dreadful, I have yet to pick up an NHL jersey since 2007.

 

While I appreciate the optimism that some folks have expressed, all the signals coming from Fanatics seem to stress profit and "wearability" over authenticity and quality. Its a real shame that the contract is as long as it is too...its possible that the NHL could lose an entire generation.

 

I just hope the payout from Fanatics was worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm reserving judgement on these, since I think Fanatics does a nice job on their own branded product. That said, the days of better price and better quality is something I'll hope for. I would even be happy with a couple of replica options. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2016 at 1:58 AM, ElwoodCuse said:

Haha what a load of garbage this is. Guess I'll just go ahead and pick up a game-worn scrub Penguins jersey instead. I'd rather pay $200-ish for an authentic jersey of a rookie camp scrub than $170 for a screen print off brand Crosby.

You're really calling players that went to an NHL rookie camp "scrubs"? How far did you get in your hockey career?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Adidas owns reebok, and every single NHL jersey that has been released under Adidas-owned Reebok has not had the three stripes... Adidas did have them for the WCoH, but they've released some new jerseys in that template that have not had the three stripes. The Leafs, Kings, Flyers, and Panthers new jerseys have all used those templates, which were all created by Adidas, and NONE of them have the three stripes... 

 

Also, how would you put the stripes on the cuffs? The reason Adidas put the stripes on the sides is so that you can see them, and if you put them on the cuffs they'd be covered by the glove... 

but visible on fans. Gotta think of more than players. I saw a photo of a boys hockey game where their jerseys had 3 stripes on the sleeve. Wasn't an adidas jersey, but I thought it was interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8148da32e771cbbbfa6ef36c5c17d146

 

Maybe it's just me, but the jersey the guy's wearing doesn't look any different from the existing Reebok cuts. Looks like it might just be a simple logo swap after all. The pricing isn't much different either.

 

I already accepted that there might be an Addy-dass logo on future jersey purchases assuming I plan on making any, but at this point I'm pretty much indifferent to whatever manufacturer logo is there. Fanatics is fine and whatever for replicas I suppose. But let's see how they turn out first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm more talking about the poses they are doing, like seriously what is he doing? Looking down and away?

Can't be because he heard a joke from the girl, since she is just lookin away at space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, coltravesty said:

but visible on fans. Gotta think of more than players. I saw a photo of a boys hockey game where their jerseys had 3 stripes on the sleeve. Wasn't an adidas jersey, but I thought it was interesting.

Yeah, but the players are usually noticed first before fans...

 

Also there's a lot of jerseys that have had three stripes long before Adidas started that part of their branding... 

And here's the difference between Sleeve CUFFS and Sleeve STRIPES...

 

Cuffs        Stripes

   ^                ^

rpb7pohmzsizochhl9viaiyxu.gif

You mentioned putting the stripes on the Cuffs. Those are hidden by the players gloves...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, EddieJ1984 said:

I'm more talking about the poses they are doing, like seriously what is he doing? Looking down and away?

Can't be because he heard a joke from the girl, since she is just lookin away at space.

 

there's a cute puppy down there.  Or a baby crawling around.  They're kinda the same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody noticed, but that nice girl has 3/4 sleeves not full long sleeves like in reebok jerseys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this