Gothamite

North American Pro Soccer 2017

Recommended Posts

Just now, Red Wolf said:

Is NYC planning on eventually having their own stadium, or are they fine with staying at Yankee Stadium? I kind of hope they keep their weird, tiny field if they ever move on. 

 

Oh, they're desperately trying to get their own stadium.  But it's tough.  There's not a lot of land around that's centrally located, close to the subways and still big enough for a stadium.  But we're all still hoping. 

 

Personally, I don't mind the pitch size itself. I cut my football teeth watching Arsenal on Highbury's postage-stamp-sized pitch, and they've never been quite as good on the overly-spacious Ashburton Grove pitch.   New stadium is a must, but tiny pitch doesn't have to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching the end of the ATL/KC game and I heard the dreaded "let's see if the goal stands" call. (It did and it shouldn't even have been a controversy.)

 

MLS needs to tell their broadcasters to cut that out right away. Looking for yellow flags is killing football; let's not do the same to MLS soccer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Watching the end of the ATL/KC game and I heard the dreaded "let's see if the goal stands" call. (It did and it shouldn't even have been a controversy.)

 

MLS needs to tell their broadcasters to cut that out right away. Looking for yellow flags is killing football; let's not do the same to MLS soccer.

Hopefully this is something that they'll just get used to, and stop saying. I especially didn't care for it this time, as it gave me false hope that there was some reason the goal should have been disallowed. I started to think I must have missed something in the play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In fairness, it sounds like there hasn't really been a controversial VAR ruling yet, which is great. And, somehow, they manage to do the review in like 30 seconds rather than 5 minutes with some old doofus looking into an oversized Viewfinder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Watching the end of the ATL/KC game and I heard the dreaded "let's see if the goal stands" call. (It did and it shouldn't even have been a controversy.)

 

MLS needs to tell their broadcasters to cut that out right away. Looking for yellow flags is killing football; let's not do the same to MLS soccer.

From what I gathered, there was a thought that the ball may have been touched with a hand when it took that odd bounce before Peterson corralled it and put it home.

 

But yeah, that'll get annoying if they're going to look at every crazily-bounced ball in the box.  Although I guess any review would be taking place during the goal celebration....I dunno, VAR just seems a bit much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, winters in buffalo said:

 

I know there's a preference for soccer-only stadiums, but... I was in Nashville last weekend for the Man City v Spurs friendly and thought that Nissan Stadium was a great venue. I don't see why a Nashville team couldn't call that home, at least in the short term.  

 

 

The refurbishments are nice, aren't they??

 

To your point, however, from what I understand the only way that would work is if Nashville SC (that's what they call themselves now) had a definite SSS plan in place, using Nissan Stadium as a temp venue. With the building boom that's going on around here, their land options are somewhat limited, which why, at least for now, they really have only three viable options: the current Greer Stadium site (the old Sounds home), the Fairgrounds site, or somewhere down in Williamson County. Neither of the first two really offer a view of much of anything, being that both are tucked back off "in the cut", so to speak, just off the main road (particularly Hal Greer)--although the neighborhood around the Fairgrounds site is very quickly gentrifying (as is really everything else around here).

 

It'll be interesting to see how they go about pushing this thing through. The main question is funding...I believe the new Sounds stadium was jointly paid for by both the club and the city itself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Buc said:

To your point, however, from what I understand the only way that would work is if Nashville SC (that's what they call themselves now) had a definite SSS plan in place, using Nissan Stadium as a temp venue.

 

In a nutshell.  Or get the Adamses involved in the ownership group. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Which I don't see happening. Its really tough to gauge just how attached, if at all, Mrs. Adams-Strunk is to Nashville. Now the Preds' ownership group, on the other hand...they're all about some Nashville. As a matter of fact, if I heard correctly they're looking at building a second ice rink/community center/practice venue out in the far-flung west end of the metro (Bellevue, for those who know the area), to go along with the existing one in Antioch (southeast end). Maybe if this NSC ownership group were to get them on board...

 

...But like I said, though--this town has more pressing issues with which to concern themselves than trying to squeeze a new structure into the quickly-crowding-out area. (Like doing something about the roadways...this town's gonna choke on its own infrastructure if they don't address that SOON.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buc said:

^ Which I don't see happening. Its really tough to gauge just how attached, if at all, Mrs. Adams-Strunk is to Nashville. Now the Preds' ownership group, on the other hand...they're all about some Nashville. As a matter of fact, if I heard correctly they're looking at building a second ice rink/community center/practice venue out in the far-flung west end of the metro (Bellevue, for those who know the area), to go along with the existing one in Antioch (southeast end). Maybe if this NSC ownership group were to get them on board...

 

That wouldn't allow them to use Nissan Stadium, though.

 

1 hour ago, Buc said:

...But like I said, though--this town has more pressing issues with which to concern themselves than trying to squeeze a new structure into the quickly-crowding-out area. (Like doing something about the roadways...this town's gonna choke on its own infrastructure if they don't address that SOON.)

 

 

True, but these aren't problems unique to Nashville among the various competitors.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That wouldn't allow them to use Nissan Stadium, though.

 

That's what I was getting at...the ownership group, if they really wanted to do this thing, would probably be better off trying  gain some financial help from Preds to get a SSS planned and built rather than trying to the Adams bunch to sign on and help bankroll their new playhouse. I should have clarified that better.

 



True, but these aren't problems unique to Nashville among the various competitors.

 

No doubt...that said, its especially bad in "Boomtown USA" in that the infrastructure is PAINFULLY outdated. (The roadway network wasn't too smartly designed to begin with, though.) As it is, at present, its also receiving somewhere in the neighborhood of 85 new residents per day--not quite Denver/Charlotte territory, but then (at least Charlotte) has more space to pack 'em in and nowhere near as jacked a roadway network to navigate (especially now that they've completed the 485 perimeter). Seriously, traffic snarl in Nashville is approaching critical-mass bad, not merely just due to volume but by all the choke points on the "expressways" and broken-up roads on the surface. 

 

Anyway, that's just one of the reasons I'm not wild about all this "MLS to Nashville" talk...that focus, effort, and $$$ could be much better utilized working on more civic improvement projects instead of yet another shiny crown jewel. But that's just me. (Now if the owners pony up all the $$$ themselves, that's one thing, all and good. But from I see and observe, its the Mayor herself  who's primarily pushing this initiative.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buc said:

Anyway, that's just one of the reasons I'm not wild about all this "MLS to Nashville" talk...that focus, effort, and $$$ could be much better utilized working on more civic improvement projects instead of yet another shiny crown jewel. But that's just me. (Now if the owners pony up all the $$$ themselves, that's one thing, all and good. But from I see and observe, its the Mayor herself  who's primarily pushing this initiative.)

 

True.  But I think that's the way it should always be.  Let cities worry about public infrastructure, and let private businesses pay for their own damn facilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And Wilf tried to get the expansion franchise in Minneapolis, so we know he has some interest in MLS.

 

Don't know what this really means for their prospects, though, without knowing more about their stadium plans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

And Wilf tried to get the expansion franchise in Minneapolis, so we know he has some interest in MLS.

 

Don't know what this really means for their prospects, though, without knowing more about their stadium plans.

Since mid-April, there have been local stories and surveys concerning having Vanderbilt play games at the proposed MLS stadium (if built).  Vanderbilt also gauged fan interest themselves plus Vanderbilt Stadium has no real expandability for more  larger donor/club areas. 

Two trustees on the bid side may also be able to sway influence for a new stadium for Vanderbilt. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Since mid-April, there have been local stories and surveys concerning having Vanderbilt play games at the proposed MLS stadium (if built).  Vanderbilt also gauged fan interest themselves plus Vanderbilt Stadium has no real expandability for more  larger donor/club areas. 

Two trustees on the bid side may also be able to sway influence for a new stadium for Vanderbilt. 

 

 

And there's all kinds of blowback from the locals here (who care) about the prospect of Vandy moving games off-campus. All that's to say nothing of the potential site being practically on the other side of town--I wouldn't expect students and alumni to take too kindly to that. But...at the end of the day, we all know at "almighty dollar" wins out in the end, so if the people with the $ choose to build down in South Nashville (or down in Brentwood), so be it.

 

Speaking of which...man this MLS ownership bid thing has built up a head of steam lately. Didn't see the Wilfs getting involved, but here they are. Good for NSC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Buc said:

man this MLS ownership bid thing has built up a head of steam lately. 

 

Yeah, but this round of expansion has seen a couple bids seize momentum and then crumble.  We'll see if Nashville turns out to be a real contender or just another St Louis or San Diego.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Gothamite said:

 

Yeah, but this round of expansion has seen a couple bids seize momentum and then crumble.  We'll see if Nashville turns out to be a real contender or just another St Louis or San Diego.

It really comes down to the stadium. Does Nashville have a solid stadium plan that the government isn't paying for and refuses (as in St. Louis or Charlotte) or can't :censored: up even if not paying for it (as in SD). If so, they have a shot. If the government is involved... well good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

It really comes down to the stadium. Does Nashville have a solid stadium plan that the government isn't paying for and refuses (as in St. Louis or Charlotte) or can't :censored: up even if not paying for it (as in SD). If so, they have a shot. If the government is involved... well good luck.

 

At present...nope. Mayor Barry is still pushing the private/public financing angle. They don't even have a plot of land locked down just yet.

 

Speaking of that, just in case anyone cares, here's the spot they're eyeballing down in South Nashville:

 

598b810991a73_Capture_2017-08-04-15-14-20.png.923c3dc2d262cad9bedff1c9b698c575.png

 

The positive is that the neighborhoods immediately bounding to the west and north are already under heavy gentrification a la the Gulch area south of downtown.

 

Here's a wider shot...I circled the site in red with an arrow, so you can see the site relative to surrounding areas. (Also check out Vanderbilt's location in relation to the site.)

 

598b80d66baba_Capture_2017-08-09-16-35-23.png.d6e38f1e9323d0f9dff9ac331e105436.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/soccer/austin-pro-soccer-franchise-will-roll-2019-000-seat-cota-venue/yYB4EAQ56lWkGc4L9i9izI/

 

After a brief hiatus from professional soccer, Austin will have a USL club in 2019. Not too sure how well this team is gonna turn out, since Circuit of the Americas is far from a bulk of the greater Austin populace. I am interested in seeing how a "stadium" will look on the inside of a race track

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now