North American Pro Soccer 2017

Gothamite

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So an Atlanta team can close out a game against New England....and did so in style.

7-nuttin'.  Ties the largest margin of victory in MLS history, most goals ever scored by an expansion team, fastest goal in team history (1:13 in).  Hat trick for Martinez (including two penalty conversions), two red cards for New England.  And if I heard correctly, first time in MLS history a team played an entire game without a shot on goal.

9 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

So an Atlanta team can close out a game against New England....and did so in style.

7-nuttin'.  Ties the largest margin of victory in MLS history, most goals ever scored by an expansion team, fastest goal in team history (1:13 in).  Hat trick for Martinez (including two penalty conversions), two red cards for New England.  And if I heard correctly, first time in MLS history a team played an entire game without a shot on goal.

Shot, period -- not shot on goal.

Seattle didn't have a shot on goal in last year's MLS Cup Final.

EDIT: And @Gothamite, Hedley's picture above is kinda what I'm talking about: If you're behind the goals, you lose the endline on the end you're on. I don't think it's that uncommon -- it's that way in Indianapolis for Eleven matches -- but I remember them making a big deal about how the stadium was designed for soccer, too, which doesn't seem to line up with fans in the lower bowl losing part of the pitch.

6fQjS3M.png

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Those people in the photo are sitting, though. 

You can see the goal line, while seated, from my seat.  When there's 24 rows of folks in front of you standing, you can't see the action along the goal line that's at ankle-level.

There's been some hot debates among the fans on various message boards about the sit-vs.-stand.  The tradition of standing was born at the Inaugural Match, just because everyone was so into the game.  It stuck around because no one really liked sitting on the metal bleachers of Bobby Dodd Stadium.  But, now that the team's made the move to MBS, the seats along the sidelines are these thick, cushy seats (club sections), while the rest of the seats are the more-comfy plastic seats.  More fans are starting to sit.

55 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The beauty of soccer games is that they have sections set aside for standing.  

If you don't want to stand, don't sit there.  It's pretty simple. 

At Century Link, the entire lower bowl is standing, and the mid bowl, with the exception of the club seats, is also standing. And not because the game is wall-to-wall action -- we all know it's not. It's just out of rote and is mostly a lot of people standing with their arms crossed checking their phones. I have no problem with the supporters section doing supporters things. But the weird "we must stand!" tradition extending through most of the stadium is dumb. And god help you if you stand in the club section; I'll knife you.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

At OCS, we have a whole end of the stadium set aside for standing similar to the Yellow Wall in Dortmund (although I'm sure most people know that by now). The salespeople are clear; if you want to stand, go there. If you don't want to stand, go anywhere else in the stadium. Of course there's still those guys who stand the entire match in the front couple rows and completely block your view, but y'know. 

ExJworW.png

15 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

At OCS, we have a whole end of the stadium set aside for standing similar to the Yellow Wall in Dortmund (although I'm sure most people know that by now). The salespeople are clear; if you want to stand, go there. If you don't want to stand, go anywhere else in the stadium. 

We've got designated sections in Toronto as well. 

I've had seats in this section for years now and whenever someone asks me to sit I point to the sign and politely explain that it's not what we do in our section. I also suggest they go to the ticket office to ask if they can change seats.

Usually these people are new to TFC because of their good season, so I always just introduce myself, explain the differences in the sections, and offer them to join in the singing and teach them the songs if they choose to stay. 

No automatic alt text available.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

There's signage at the top of Foxboro's supporters section as well that makes quite clear that standing and singing will happen in that section. Safe to say there's not much chance of anyone standing and blocking your view elsewhere in the stadium, so there are no issues there. Now if only there was a section to contain all the bratty preteens.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

23 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Setting records on the field this past Wednesday, now Atlanta United sets an off-field record today: Highest attendance for a game in MLS history...70,000 and change.

That's incredible.

I'd like to see some MLS Playoffs between ATL and NYCFC or TFC. Or both.

Kudos Atlanta for showing up.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

24 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Setting records on the field this past Wednesday, now Atlanta United sets an off-field record today: Highest attendance for a game in MLS history...70,000 and change.

Attendance "records" don't mean $hit.

Win a championship.

Oh wait, Atlanta historically has issues with that.

Eh, I think 70,000 and 40,000 regularly showing up for pro soccer in the southeast US speaks well of the health of the game.

We're still a long way from convincing people to watch MLS on TV, but the live gates being healthy is still pretty good.

Archived