Pacific Pro Football

hettinger_rl

2 hours ago, Skycast said:

I've always thought the NFL should implement a developmental/minor league with 16 teams...each associated geographically with one AFC and one NFC so fans might have an interest in watching. For example...Tampa Bay and Miami with a team in Orlando or Jacksonville and Atlanta with a team located somewhere in between. Don't just limit it to developing players, but coaches, office personnel, refs, etc.

2 hours ago, hettinger_rl said:

Also, they could test out new rules / equipment.

Well, that is NOT what this league is trying to do. 

Note: 'Brian in Boston', you should have kept your thoughts regarding this league when moving over the previous thread's comments. 

They weren't my thoughts. They were actually bullet points that Dan Wetzel included in a story that he wrote about Pacific Pro Football. They seemed to be sourced directly from the league. That said...

* Pacific Pro Football will be comprised of four league-owned 50-player teams based in Southern California.

* The season will run for eight weeks in July and August, with a six-game regular-season schedule and two rounds of playoffs.

* Games will be played in smaller stadiums, most likely on the campuses of community colleges and Division III schools. It is possible that only two venues will be utilized during the first season.

* The league is seen as an alternative to college, with players only eligible to participate in their first four years out of high school.

* Total player compensation will be $50,000 per season, with players having full worker's compensation coverage and the opportunity to take advantage of tuition reimbursement at a local community college in the offseason.

* Each team will have eight full-time coaches with either professional or college coaching experience, as well as eight part-time assistant coaches.

* Gameplay will be designed to accentuate development and evaluation of players, with a premium put on one-on-one plays so as to generate viable tape. For instance, quarterbacks will take snaps under center, call plays in the huddle and identify defenses at the line of scrimmage; wide receivers may be prohibited from running crossing routes, etc.

* The league hopes to have the games televised nationally, though the broadcasts may well be "non-traditional" in nature. One option being considered would be akin to the "Coaches Film Room" that ran on ESPNews during the College Football Playoff Championship Game, with a panel of coaches breaking down plays on a telestrator and highlighting coaching strategy for viewers. Another would be more like the coverage usually associated with broadcasts of the high school All-American Game, i.e. heavy on providing player backstories and future potential.

* If the league proves successful, there are plans to expand by creating additional four-team "pods" elsewhere in the country, with Northern California and the Midwest on the radar of league leadership. 

On 1/13/2017 at 5:07 PM, #ConceptLeagues said:

League owned with sponsors, eventually. It's seems to be a good model, but if I'm reading this right, games will be based on situations. Stop, start, reset.

Like spring practice. I'm not sure how fans would enjoy that.

I'm sure it'll garner a cult following no matter what.

• 1 year later...

Bump after months of silence from Don Yee and his idea.

Good News...

If they actually play, adidas is going to be a sponsor.

http://news.adidas.com/US/Latest-News/pacific-pro-football-and-adidas-announce-innovative-partnership/s/53031a0c-ceb4-45e0-a896-92d9e762e23d

Bad News...

The adidas press release indicates that they've pushed back their start from  four months from now until Summer 2019.

16 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Good News...

http://news.adidas.com/US/Latest-News/pacific-pro-football-and-adidas-announce-innovative-partnership/s/53031a0c-ceb4-45e0-a896-92d9e762e23d

Bad News...

The adidas press release indicates that they've pushed back their start from  four months from now until Summer 2019.

I can confirm the push-back.  I'd heard it from two other sources.

If someone gave me even-money odds on it playing a down, ever, I'd put $5 on "no."

nav-logo.png

On 3/1/2018 at 11:39 PM, dfwabel said:

Good News...

Bad News...

This sounds like he expected more help from previous clients and they're bailing out instead of risking a loss. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 9 months later...

What if....

We took ALL the non-NFL leagues and made one SUPER League!

By my count that's 5 "starting" within the next two years. Pacific Pro Football, AAF, XFL, Freedom Football League(bunch of former NFL players are behind this), and the American Patriot League(which is in random small Southern towns and banned kneeling).

4 hours ago, raysox said:

What if....

We took ALL the non-NFL leagues and made one SUPER League!

By my count that's 5 "starting" within the next two years. Pacific Pro Football, AAF, XFL, Freedom Football League(bunch of former NFL players are behind this), and the American Patriot League(which is in random small Southern towns and banned kneeling).

Then they must battle the Canadian Football League to determine who is number 2 behind the NFL. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2017 at 12:09 PM, SJAnfield said:

I don't believe there will be a successful minor league until the NFL creates its own D-league. There's enough markets and they have the NFL network with time slots to fill. 

Well and even then isn't the D-League subsidized by the NBA? 

3 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Well and even then isn't the D-League subsidized by the NBA? 

The D err... G-League is run and operated by the NBA and most of its teams. The league is now in a position where it can offer kids an option outside of the NCAA, controlling salaries, Development and all revenues on game day. The league is a new revenue stream, and penetrates the league into more communities. It’s a major success. 

The NFL is big enough to essentially eliminate or limit any start up, should they cut into the NFL’s audience, profits or exposure. The XFL and other new spring league(s) have a chance to become slightly relevant, if the NFL looses a season. However, it’s a small chance. Currently, the NFL doesn’t need to protect itself from any other start up, so they’ll probably just see how well the new leagues are received, and act accordingly. 

On 1/11/2019 at 2:34 PM, SJAnfield said:

The D err... G-League is run and operated by the NBA and most of its teams. The league is now in a position where it can offer kids an option outside of the NCAA, controlling salaries, Development and all revenues on game day. The league is a new revenue stream, and penetrates the league into more communities. It’s a major success. 

The NFL is big enough to essentially eliminate or limit any start up, should they cut into the NFL’s audience, profits or exposure. The XFL and other new spring league(s) have a chance to become slightly relevant, if the NFL looses a season. However, it’s a small chance. Currently, the NFL doesn’t need to protect itself from any other start up, so they’ll probably just see how well the new leagues are received, and act accordingly. 

Not really sure that's even true. Playing in Spring means they're inevitably off season and not in a position to benefit should the NFL miss a year. 

But the rest you're spot on. The only way these league survive is to not incur the wrath of the NFL, which inevitably means they either stay small, or find a way to work with the NFL. Pacific Pro seems primed for the former. AAF on the other hand seems to be angling for the later (being overly accommodating to the NFL losing key players and coaches with not only not complaint, but their blessing. 

The XFL... not sure what their angle is going to be since McMahon doesn't do small, and even toned down he comes off as antagonistic toward the NFL and their brand of football. 

Archived