buzzcut

NBA 2017-18: A Tale of Two Conferences

There’s no chance he goes to most of those teams. Charlotte? MJ is enough of a competitive psycho that if he somehow managed to make  LeBron sign on the dotted line he’d  then gut the team just to make sure LeBron wouldn’t reach him. Plus he wouldn’t sign someone so outspokenly pro-player considering how pro-owners he is.    I think he’ll go Lakers or Rockets

59 minutes ago, Kaz said:

Celtics will sign Greg Monroe for 1 year, 5 mil

Pretty good signing by the Celtics; I thought he was gonna go to the Pels

Nice!

He was at the top of my list for guys I was hoping Celtics could pick up with that DPE. 

Should be a good enough replacement for Hayward, that takes some pressure off Kyrie.  

3 hours ago, anythinglogos said:

There’s no chance he goes to most of those teams. Charlotte? MJ is enough of a competitive psycho that if he somehow managed to make  LeBron sign on the dotted line he’d  then gut the team just to make sure LeBron wouldn’t reach him. Plus he wouldn’t sign someone so outspokenly pro-player considering how pro-owners he is.    I think he’ll go Lakers or Rockets

Agreed, they just didn't fall into the 'super far away from contention' category because of Kemba Walker and some other pieces, but yeah there's no way he goes there. 

How will the Rockets afford him though?

4 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

If you had asked me a year ago, I would say that Lebron stays in Cleveland. Now, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that he's gone. 

I think if he wants to compete, the Lakers are out of the question. They're just too far away, plus they have to run directly into the Houston and Golden State gauntlet. 

Although he's still in his prime, I think he's too old to jump on a team where he would have to start from the ground up, even if other star players would join him. 

This rules out teams like:

Atlanta

Orlando

Memphis

Detroit

Chicago

Brooklyn

Dallas

Indiana

LA Clippers

Phoenix

Sacramento

Utah

Other teams worth considering:

New York (big market, desperate for success, star player in Porzingis)

Charlotte: it's a long shot, bu they've got a star in Kemba Walker, plus the MJ connection.

OKC: What if they George walk and then bring in Lebron?

New Orleans: I'm not sure how it would get done money wise or if it's even possible, but he, Boogie and Davis? Wow.

Minnesota: Too much money tied up. I'm sure it could be worked, but I don't see it.

Portland: Already boast one of the league's best back-courts. 

Toronto: Would instantly make them the team to beat in the East, but similar to Minnesota, some shuffling would be needed. Impossible? No, but would be way out of left field. 

Washington: Like Toronto, this would vault them into elite team status.

Milwaukee: Like Toronto and Washington, but would be easier to get done financially. 

Denver: Close to contention, and adding Lebron would do it. But again, he'd have to run directly through the GS/HOU/SA buzzsaw.

And then there's the usual suspects: 

San Antonio

Houston

Miami- Solid core, but I think Lebron wants something different.

I just don't see Golden State happening.  

I have a very strong feeling about Philly. Young team, rising very quickly. Tons of cap space, already with 2 of the East's best players. 

Regardless of the trades within the next week before the deadline, half the league will be over the cap going into free agency.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/2018/

On your list of "considerations":

Portland: They have 30% of their cap space on Evan Turner, Mo Harkless, and Meyers Leonard.  Plus Nurkic is a RFA.

Charlotte:  The Batum and Marvin Williams contract put them in jeopardy of them in the luxury tax. MJ cannot afford to pay the tax.

Washington: May have a luxury tax bill of $24M w/o doing a thing

Denver: Jokic has just a #1.6M team option, but they're set to pay the tax too.

New Orleans: Even if the do not resign Boogie, their next max contract puts them in the tax pool

LeBron will be a Laker. There's just too many reasons for it to happen.

> $52 million in salary coming off the Lakers' books this summer, plus any additional room they can create by unloading Clarkson's contract (~$11 million) in the trade market. Enough to give LeBron his max of $35 million (10+ year vet) plus Paul George or somebody (7-9 year vet) close to their max of $30 million. Or LeBron takes the paycut and star #2 gets their full max. Or they both take less money. However they get it done, after adding their two stars and shedding the needed salary (probably having to package Ingram or one of their other C-list prospects to make it worthwhile for the other guy), the Lakers become LeBron, star #2, Lonzo Ball, Kuzma (I guess), and a bare cabinet - plenty of room for LeBron to get his guys in there on ring-chaser contracts. And they would still have Deng's contract to balance salary in a trade for another player later on, assuming they have the assets left to make that happen.

> Gets to etch his name in Lakers lore before he's done, especially so if he's able to win a championship there, a la Wilt Chamberlain. The Lakers are *the* NBA franchise. Same reason 33-year-old star baseball players love signing with the Yankees.

> The networks and entertainment outlets would sell their souls to make it happen. ESPN has been scrapping for something, anything to report about Lakerland the past few seasons. LaVar Ball, LaVar Ball's son, LeBron, LeBron's hand-picked star free agent buddy, and LeBron's hired guns all under the same roof, with Magic Johnson running the show and Los Angeles being the setting? ESPN would get so hard that they wouldn't even want to play with themselves, for fear of snapping it off like a twig. LeBron's all about the narrative and entertainment angle. See 'The Decision' and that pandering bull**** 'I'm Coming Home To Cleveland' thing.

> Still on the entertainment/drama aspect, this gives the west a second superteam come playoff time, and a potentially worthy challenger for Golden State. LeBron's not going to catch Jordan's six titles, and he's *never* had the kind of season that matches up with prime Jordan individually (from '88 until his first retirement Jordan was both THE BEST offensive player and THE BEST defensive player in the league). The Jordan comparisons are a dead topic at this point. LeBron almost certainly knows that, even if he doesn't say as much. The best he can do at this point is spoil Golden State and maybe get another title for himself.

> While we're on the subject, LeBron has a major Spike Lee complex and wants to segue into a film/showbiz career after he's done playing. No better place to get that going than LA and the situation I just described.

> He already owns a home there, by the way.

The only reason for him to Golden State is to ring-chase to try and catch Jordan, even though he's never had as good of a year and he would be absolutely reviled by non-Warrior fans. The league and media as a whole might turn on him, probably throwing asterisks on those titles. Can't see him pulling that.

I can't think of any good reason for him to go to Houston, assuming Houston could even find a way to bring him in. Houston with LeBron makes things closer but the Warriors are still the favorite. Off the court, LA is by far the best option. If LeBron only cares about farming championships, Golden State is the best option. If he wants control, LA is a better option. If he wants to challenge Golden State, putting his own thing together in LA might well be the better option, since they're starting with much less committed salary and aren't jammed up the ass with Ryan Anderson, Eric Gordon, and P.J. Tucker's contracts, plus their two existing stars, one of which doesn't play any defense.

I’m not sure why he’d want to go to the lakers where he’d immediately be in Kobe’s shadow, even though he’s retired. Their rivalry (whether real or just media created) was so fierce that it wouldn’t make sense for him to go there, despite it making sense for every other reason. 

I dont know if Phila would want him (would it hurt the development of their 2 stars and 2 or 3 other promising players?) but if he wanted to go there, how do you say no? Don’t underestimate the relationship he has with Ben Simmons. 

If I’m him, I’m steering far away from here, but crazier things have happened. New York is an interesting one, because being the guy to return the knicks to the top after decades of irrelevance (save for the starks / Ewing era) would be a million times bigger than wining it for Cleveland. 

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I’m not sure why he’d want to go to the lakers where he’d immediately be in Kobe’s shadow, even though he’s retired. Their rivalry (whether real or just media created) was so fierce that it wouldn’t make sense for him to go there, despite it making sense for every other reason. 

I dont know if Phila would want him (would it hurt the development of their 2 stars and 2 or 3 other promising players?) but if he wanted to go there, how do you say no? Don’t underestimate the relationship he has with Ben Simmons. 

If I’m him, I’m steering far away from here, but crazier things have happened. New York is an interesting one, because being the guy to return the knicks to the top after decades of irrelevance (save for the starks / Ewing era) would be a million times bigger than wining it for Cleveland. 

Right. That Lakers roster makes the Cavs look like the '91 Bulls, plus the Cavs are in the weaker conference. Lonzo? Come on. At least in the East, he can run through the playoffs and only have to face the Warriors or Rockets in the Finals. The Warriors are going to be the league's juggernaut for the next decade. He's going to have to build the Lakers from the ground up. 

What rivalry? They never saw each other in the playoffs or had any ill will that I can recall. Come next fall Kobe will be two years removed from the Lakers and it will have been half a decade since the Lakers sniffed any kind of success with him. Nobody is casting a shadow in LA right now.

Philly is probably in 2nd place to LA, but what can they offer that LA can't? Better prospects? Maybe, but LeBron's not playing for a bright future, he needs a franchise capable of putting something together that can contend immediately. LA is in a better position to do that - the Lakers name has cachet and LA is an easier sell for pretty much everybody. Lonzo may have a wonky outside shot but Ben Simmons has no outside shot so he'll have a hell of a time transitioning to an off-ball role with LeBron on the team.

Barring a miraculous firesale over the next few days (or unless I'm missing something important), New York doesn't have room for LeBron. And even they did, LA can offer everything that New York can, with the added bonus of the franchise not being a toilet for the past two decades.

12 minutes ago, who do you think said:

Philly is probably in 2nd place to LA, but what can they offer that LA can't? Better prospects?

A better team?

Lebron/George/Ball/Kuzma/Nance/Ingram isn't even a threat to the Warriors; Lebron/Simmons/Embiid/Covington/Reddick? is just as good if not better - and Lebron gets to stay in the East.  If Fultz ends up not sucking and the Sixers somehow end up with the #1 pick even more so.

His best option is probably if Houston can move some of their bad contracts.  Harden and Paul are good enough shooters to work with Lebron, and Texas's lack of state income tax may get role players to sign on the cheap more so than in LA or Philadelphia.

There's no LeBron/Kobe rivalry. LeBron didn't make it past the Celtics or Orlando during Kobe's peak Laker years, and Kobe didn't make it back during the Heat years. I think they operate in pretty different spheres of influence; Kobe is the new Jordan for a big part of the NBA while LeBron will have that role for the next guys after he retires.

Phil isn't there anymore but Dolan is. I think LeBron has seen enough dumbass ownership for one lifetime. I can't see him or anyone else that can really move the needle on a franchise willingly moving to the Knicks; there's just too much baggage there and that team has to be built through smart trades and the draft. I can't see them being a free agency destination for another year.

James/Ball/Ingram/George/Kuzma (four forwards and a guard? Why not?) would be fun to watch. I think Clarkson is gone, but I wish Randle would come back. He may be a real Draymond-esque guy (without the distance shooting that Green has since lost) next season and is turning into a pretty reliable 18/10 guy when he starts.

I think Golden State has two more years. Steph's ankle will give out eventually, Draymond is slipping, and I can't imagine they'll be able to afford their nucleus for forever. Plus, outside of LeBron, people don't really go to the Finals four and five years in a row. Three tends to be the max for a variety of reasons. That said, I think Durant is probably the best player in the league right now and the most adaptable, so who knows.

Just now, Kaz said:

His best option is probably if Houston can move some of their bad contracts.  Harden and Paul are good enough shooters to work with Lebron, and Texas's lack of state income tax may get role players to sign on the cheap more so than in LA or Philadelphia.

Houston is the best spot for LeBron to show up and win. It's too bad that team is in that city; it'd be more fun in LA.

48 minutes ago, Kaz said:

A better team?

Lebron/George/Ball/Kuzma/Nance/Ingram isn't even a threat to the Warriors; Lebron/Simmons/Embiid/Covington/Reddick? is just as good if not better - and Lebron gets to stay in the East.  If Fultz ends up not sucking and the Sixers somehow end up with the #1 pick even more so.

Redick's contract is expiring this summer, Simmons would become a much less effective player without the ball (at least until/if he develops an outside shot), Embiid is a dolt and I'd be concerned about the fact that he's played a mere fraction of his team's games since being drafted. On the Lakers side, that wouldn't be the lineup any later than July. At least one of Ingram/Nance/Kuzma will probably be moved to either free up more salary or acquire another major player through trade. Probably Ingram since he's being outperformed by the much cheaper Kuzma on a wide-open roster, but he can still be sold to other teams as a #2 overall pick blue-chip prospect who's only entering his third year.

Houston is a middling option on all fronts even if they are able to con someone into taking on those contracts, which I don't see how they will since their draft picks are already worthless and they blew all possible trade assets on Chris Paul. LeBron, Harden, and Paul does not beat Golden State. There is zero youth on that roster and with two of their big three aged 33 or older, they'd be in danger of getting old during the season and slipping out of the top seeds. Defense is a concern with two guys approaching their mid-30s and Harden not giving a **** about that end of the floor.Tax or not, Houston itself is nothingville unless you like concrete and Whataburger. Texas is also a red state whereas LeBron is far left and becoming increasingly vocal about it.

39 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

James/Ball/Ingram/George/Kuzma (four forwards and a guard? Why not?) would be fun to watch. I think Clarkson is gone, but I wish Randle would come back. He may be a real Draymond-esque guy (without the distance shooting that Green has since lost) next season and is turning into a pretty reliable 18/10 guy when he starts.

Randle doesn't really fit in anywhere next to a LeBron/PG/whoever team. Poor basketball I.Q., can't space the floor, awful defender, and not nearly good enough on the glass to make up the difference.

LA moves Randle this season for expiring and a pick, then off season packages Deng, Ingram, and picks to clear cap space

Ball

Clarkson

George

James

?

Nance

Kuzma

Hart

Zubac

+ vets

thats not touching GS in a 7 game series

Houston has to gut their team and their future for LeBron, to still be #2 in the West

Realistically, LeBron's best option to win is staying in Cleveland. He's not winning with the Lakers, Houston would be a worse version of his last year in Miami, Philadelphia is too big of a risk 

8 hours ago, who do you think said:

Still on the entertainment/drama aspect, this gives the west a second superteam come playoff time, and a potentially worthy challenger for Golden State.

Have you watched the Lakers play at all this year? Or any of the last few years, for that matter? LeBron would probably carry that team to the WCF since he's that good, but they'd just get swept (or, if they're lucky, gentlemen's swept) by Golden State and not make the Finals at all. Even with "Star #2."

Realistically, nobody's beating the Warriors for the next few years. LeBron might as well just stay in Cleveland where he can at least keep the Finals appearance streak going.

As far as The West, yeah, Warriors are the "Patriots" in the conference for the foreseeable future.  

Unless Lebron is suddenly traded to The Celtics or Toronto in the next 4 days, his Finals streak is over. 

I still don't see how people think this Cavs team is making it through Boston, or even Toronto. 

No way Lebron is staying in Cleveland either, That bridge is already burning. 

20 minutes ago, ozzyman314 said:

As far as The West, yeah, Warriors are the "Patriots" in the conference for the foreseeable future.  

Unless Lebron is suddenly traded to The Celtics or Toronto in the next 4 days, his Finals streak is over. 

I still don't see how people think this Cavs team is making it through Boston, or even Toronto. 

No way Lebron is staying in Cleveland either, That bridge is already burning. 

You trust either of those teams to beat the Cavs in May?

20 minutes ago, OaklandIsBack said:

You trust either of those teams to beat the Cavs in May?

Have you seen the Cavs defense? Yeah, Neither has anyone else. 

I'll give Lebron all the credit in the world, but between that & all the infighting going on with the team, they are seriously going to struggle against good if not better teams like The Celtics & Raptors. 

Barring some last minute blockbuster trade, The Cavs will be lucky to make the Easter Conference Finals.