CONCACAF unveils new official logo

Louis

3 hours ago, GFB said:

My only major quibble is that CONCACAF is an acronym, and having only the first letter capitalized makes it look like a word.

This, too, is my biggest problem. The logo itself is fine, but it has the "Ucla" problem. I get "Con-ca-caf" is said like a word, but it needs to be capitalized.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's literally the reason they chose 'Concacaf', they want people to say it as a word.

Earlier in the video, the General Secretary is talking about how many people know of CONCACAF in Central America and Caribbean but only people in soccer circles know of it in North America. A bit later he says the intention is for it to to be "easier to read, and say as a word and not just a shouty acronym of letters".

Yeah I think this makes sense. Even as someone who follows CONCACAF Concacaf closely, I'd have a hard time telling you what it stands for. Make it a word and forget that it's a clunky acronym. 

There are plenty of branding examples of this (Qantas, Geico, and others that I can't think of right now).

2 hours ago, nas1787 said:

Even as someone who follows CONCACAF Concacaf closely, I'd have a hard time telling you what it stands for. Make it a word and forget that it's a clunky acronym. 

There are plenty of branding examples of this (Qantas, Geico, and others that I can't think of right now).

The name it self is horrible.  COnfederation of North and Central American and Caribbean Association Football. Egad!  Get out of here with that!  They should have taken this opportunity to come up with a better name.

It's the North American confederation; so ideally it should have the name of one of its predecessor organistations, "North American Football Confederation".  However, because that former organisation represented only Canada, the U.S., Mexico, and Cuba, and merged with a separate body that represented Central America and the Caribbean, there were some internal politics that requred that Central America and the Caribbean be specifically named in the new organisation's name.

Still, this should have been sorted out long ago, as Central America and the Caribbean are regions of North America.  Instead, this unweildy name has persisted, as have administrative divisions between the "North American", Central American, and Caribbean divisions of the confederation.  The latter two have their own tournaments for qualification to the Gold Cup.

Though, come to think of it, I wonder whether the Nations League going to replace these regional tournaments; as I understand it, the Nations League will be the means of determining the participants in the Gold Cup.  If so, then that's all the more reason to ditch the awful monstrosity "CONCACAF" and replace it with something simple like NAFC.

Anyway, I have seen no other comments on the lack of any geographical elements in the new logo.  (There were none in the old logo, either.)  Does no one else think this is a mistake?

The South American confederation CONMEBOL recently brought in a new logo.  The only thing that the new logo has in common with the old one is that it kept the map of South America:

Image result for conmebol logo  

Three of the other confederations' logos also feature geography:

Image result for uefa logo  Image result for caf logo football   Image result for asia confederation football 

(That UEFA logo is gorgeous in its dignified simplicity!)

The only confederation logo other than CONCACAF's that makes no alllusion to geography is that of OFC, the Oceania Football Confederation.

Image result for oceania confederation football

So get a damn map in there, CONCACAF!  

My guess is that there is no map for the same reason that we have that unwieldy name: political pressure from the members from Central America and the Caribbean, who presumabaly think that a geographical element would minimse those regions by depicting primarily the outline of mainland North America.  To which I say: tough toenails.  If the Asian confederation can use a stylised map despite Asia consisting of a giant land mass with a few small peninsulas and many small islands, then so can the North American confederation.  Put another way: if South Korea and Japan can deal with being represented by a couple of tiny dots in the logo, then Costa Rica and Trinidad and Jamaica have no cause to complain.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Three of the other confederations' logos also feature geography:

Image result for uefa logo  Image result for caf logo football  

(That UEFA logo is gorgeous in its dignified simplicity!)

Those are old logos, but new ones kept maps:

175px-UEFA_logo_2012.png258px-Confederation_of_African_Football_

4r2eer.png

I don't like the idea of putting a map of the region into a logo. Even when heavily simplified, the map shapes are generally just not appealing. I get that the blob in the UEFA logo is meant to be Europe, but it still looks awful.

How would you represent all of NA, including dozens of Caribbean nations, in a simple and effective logo?

1 hour ago, nas1787 said:

How would you represent all of NA, including dozens of Caribbean nations, in a simple and effective logo?

I feel like if North America wasnt dominated by such large countries in size like Canada, US, and mexico the map idea would work.  If you include the map, its like your saying its the Big 3 and everyone else.

On 3/9/2018 at 10:51 AM, nas1787 said:

I don't like the idea of putting a map of the region into a logo. Even when heavily simplified, the map shapes are generally just not appealing. I get that the blob in the UEFA logo is meant to be Europe, but it still looks awful.

Like this.

NuDduIh.png

ExJworW.png

6 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Like this.

NuDduIh.png

Ignoring the Central American countries that could be added very simply, this logo still literally wiped 1/2 the members off the “map”. That’s what @nas1787 was getting at.

On 10/03/2018 at 9:14 PM, Cosmic said:
On 10/03/2018 at 2:32 PM, Magic Dynasty said:

Like this.

NuDduIh.png

Ignoring the Central American countries that could be added very simply, this logo still literally wiped 1/2 the members off the “map”. That’s what @nas1787 was getting at.

Yet (as mentioned above) Japan and South Korea and other Asian countries are fine with being represented by little dots in the AFC logo.

2707306.jpg

So this would be a pretty flimsy objection on the part of Central American and Caribbean countries if indeed this is the objection (as we are all assuming).

Another solution is to have maps of differing scale. There could be a larger-scale depiction of Central America and the Caribbean alongside the map of North America proper as in the NASL logo.

Or they could have gone with more abstract shapes. The point is that there are many ways to creatively incorporate the identifiable and well-known geographical shapes.

This is a geographically-based body. So the lack of any reference to geography strikes the wrong note for me.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

27 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Yet (as mentioned above) Japan and South Korea and other Asian countries are fine with being represented by little dots in the AFC logo.

2707306.jpg

So this would be a pretty flimsy objection on the part of Central American and Caribbean countries if indeed this is the objection (as we are all assuming).

Another solution is to have maps of differing scale. There could be a larger-scale depiction of Central America and the Caribbean alongside the map of North America proper as in the NASL logo.

Or they could have gone with more abstract shapes. The point is that there are many ways to creatively incorporate the identifiable and well-known geographical shapes.

This is a geographically-based body. So the lack of any reference to geography strikes the wrong note for me.

The geography is in the name. I think hitting the notes of place names in the title and a map in the logo can be a little like having five copies of the same logo on a uniform... we get it! You don't need the same logo on the helmets, the collar, the sleeves, the pants, the tramp stamp, etc. If you ignore Canada (and who hasn't? :P), I could see the circle being a very abstract representation of the Gulf of Mexico area, with the right side of the circle representing the Caribbean. Has Canada annexed a Caribbean island yet? We'll just tell the Canadians that the circle represents the iconic jaws of Husky Stadium Hudson Bay. It's a heck of a challenge to make a logo map for CONCACAF... it's two of the three biggest countries in the world mashed together with teeny tiny island nations and also some countries in South America just because even though South America has its own confederation. Could you map a map of it? Sure. Could you make a good logo that displays the geography literally? I don't think so.

I look at the CONCACAF logo like this... its main purpose seems to be as a little patch on jerseys and probably on some press releases. it's fine. If it were something that was going to be merchandised like crazy, I don't think it's built for that. As a complementary piece that is supposed to look good on 50 different national jerseys, I think it does that well.

And personally, I think that AFC logo is a big mess.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived