New Univ Of North Texas logos/wordmarks

ibsouper

I dig the outlined versions, and it's a nice logo and all, but I fail to see what eagles have to do with Mean Green anything.

edit: welcome aboard ibsouper :welcome:

the old name was Mean Green Eagles, or Eagles for short. Nowadays they just use Mean Green.

I REALLY don't care for this. it's like having an Xbox and trading it in for an Atari...for comparison, parts of the old set:

NorthTexasEagles6.GIFNorthTexas.GIFNorthTexasEagles4.GIFNorthTexasEagles3.GIF

...and the new crap

DivingEagle_Outline_Regular_356.gifEagleHead_Reg_356.gifUNT_Athl_Double_Lg_Black356.gif

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🀬

That eagle head reminds me of the USFL Washington Generals.

I believe you mean the Washington Federals. The Generals were the team which used to "lose" to the Globetrotters and coached by Red Klotz.

You're right. I was just about to correct myself.

It's like going back in time a little bit. Like a 1980 set.

All I gotta say is you can't lick UNT.

Interesting analogy, since I was a freshman at North Texas in 1980...

I'm not sure what to think.

Since I can't open the files (I'm using Illustrator 10), can someone tell me - is the Green 356 C?

Concept wise, a big step down from what was currently being used. However, it does make the branding more consistent with the teams.

The phased-out logos are dark blue, green, and copper. But all the teams i've seen wear green and black. So now the new logos match the color scheme.

Back-to-BackΒ Fatal FortyΒ Champion 2015 & 2016

I dig the outlined versions, and it's a nice logo and all, but I fail to see what eagles have to do with Mean Green anything.

Discriminhater is not totally correct. UNT has TWO nicknames, and have since the '60s. The school has always used "Eagles" as the official nickname, but in the sixties, the term "Mean Green" was used to describe the football teams' defense. This "Mean Green" nickname got attached to defensive lineman Joe Greene as well, and became his nickname in the NFL - Mean Joe Green.

Eagles is correct, Mean Green is correct, and sometimes they combine the two - Mean Green Eagles...

When I started going there (NTSU back then), the football team was wearing these:

NorthTexasSched1980.jpg

EDIT: the color has faded quite a bit on this top one. The actual color was somewhere in-between these two pics.

NorthTexasSched1982.jpg

Apple Green and Forest Green. Nummy-licious.

Can't believe Bud would encourage underage drinking. Well, the drinking age was probably 18 or 19 then, so I can't believe Bud would encourage football players to drink.

As for those colors: Oooof!

The logo was kinda neat, but didn't they call it the flying worm, or something?

Yep, the Flying Worm. I loved that logo.

As far as the drinking age goes...I was 17 when I started college in 1980. The legal drinking age was 18. I've never been much of a drinker, but as a music major, it was all about getting into the clubs to hear all the bands (North Texas has the largest jazz program in country, if not the world). The next year, they raised the drinking age to 19. No "grandfather" clause...I had to wait another year. However, I just turned 21 when they finally raised it to 21.

Archived