Greatest hoem runs of all time

NJTank

Last Nights Aaron Boone HR must instantley go on the loist of teh greatest HR s of all time.

It may even be the best HR in Yankees history especially if they beat the Marlisn, which everyone expects them to do, and with the Yankees proud history that's saying allot.

Here is why it is instanly one of the best Home Runs in baseball history.

The HR is one of just 5 to end a postseason series.

It came in a Game 7 so it just the 3rd time a decisive game was ended by a HR.

But here is why it is even bigger it came in sports most heated rivalry (Yankees-Red SOx), which puts in the smae region as the Famous BobbY Thompson HR.

So here is my list of the 10 greastet HR of all time, and where Boone sits.

1. Bobby Thomspson 1951 NL Playoff When Thomspson hit the 3-run the Gianst were still losing.

2. Bill Mazeroski Game 7 of the World Series it dont get any bigger.

3. Aaron Boone, for all we know taht could have been the World Series last night. I dont the Marlins will beat the Yankees, and I dont think they could have beaten the Red Sox either.

4. Kirk Gibson Gibson was hurt and coudl barley run or swing and looked overmatched in the early part of the AB, but he had one good swing and esentially ended the 1988 WOrld Series in Game 1 as the A's never recovered.

5. Bucky Dent Once again the Yanks Sox rivalry makes this bigger, and the fact he turned around a 2-0 Red Sox lead into a 3-2 Yankees lead with a ball that would have been jsut a fly out in most stadiums, but the whole Dent mistique makes this bigger, as Dent was a light hitting SS.

6. Chris Chambliss Like Boone ended a decisive Game with a HR, but the 1976 ALCS was not nearly as intense.

7. Joe Carter ending a World Series is always big, but maybe this gets allittle diminished in that the Blue Jays lose there is still a 7th game, and I think the Jays still win Game 7 becuase they were so much better then the Phillies.

8. Bae Ruths called shot forget the revinsionsit I firmly belive this is true. Maybe he didnt do it as dramtic as been portrayed, but he told the Cubs he was hitting it deep to Center.

9. Mark McGwire brekaing Roger Marris' record, the race for the record captivated everyone and gave respect to Roger Marris at the same time.

10. Hank Aaron break Ruth's record a great capper to a great career.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

ESPN's Page 2 actually did a list of the 100 Greatest HR's of all-time not too long ago.

ESPN.com - Page2 - 100 Greatest Home Runs of All Time

I would've liked to have seen Barry Bonds' HR against the Angels in the World Series on the list -- where he absolutely crushed the ball.  Tim Salmon's (?) reaction automatically should have made it top 100.  Turning to the guy next to him, and you can see him lip "That was the farthest I've ever seen a ball hit" or something like that".  Classic.

IUe6Hvh.png

From what I hear you could hear Ruth saying "this ones coming at your head" and knowing Ruth that's probably true

Good thing for the Yankees that he missed his "intended" target and wound up putting the ball into the stands!

01. Bobby Thompson's "Shot Heard 'Round The World"

02. McGwire 62

03. Bill Mazeroski '60 Series winner

04. Aaron Boone last night (might go up the list as time goes by...)

05. Bucky Fu*king Dent

06. Pudge Fisk "Stay Fair!"

07. Hank Aaron 715

08. Mickey Mantle - farthest recorded home run

09. Ted Williams final at-bat

10. Babe Ruth "called shot"

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

My question is, how can Joe Carter's not be top 5? I mean... they were down in the game, and with one swing they come back and win the World Series? Sure the LCS's are tough, but this was the World freakin' Series. I think the fact that there would've been a game 6 is somewhat relevant, but a Comeback Walkoff World Series Home Run has GOT to be better than #7 on Tank's list, never mind at least getting on JQK's. Plus it was at home in a packed house which was at the time the hottest stadium anywhere.

It's weird how in two straight world series... Carter was the last one to touch the ball, be it with a bat or glove.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Well Like I said I think the Jays would have won Game 7 any way so maybe it dose not seem as urgent to me.

The LCS's are urgent? Kirk Gibson (albeit barely able to walk) was hardly urgent in Game 1 of a Best-of-7.

Ahh well, just a matter of opinion I guess.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

My question is, how can Joe Carter's not be top 5? I mean... they were down in the game, and with one swing they come back and win the World Series? Sure the LCS's are tough, but this was the World freakin' Series. I think the fact that there would've been a game 6 is somewhat relevant, but a Comeback Walkoff World Series Home Run has GOT to be better than #7 on Tank's list, never mind at least getting on JQK's. Plus it was at home in a packed house which was at the time the hottest stadium anywhere.

It's weird how in two straight world series... Carter was the last one to touch the ball, be it with a bat or glove.

It was Toronto. Say what you want, but i felt more drama from the lousy Marlins team in '97 than i did from that Carter shot in '93.

Maybe because it was in Canada,

Maybe because it was just.... not... interesting,

But it's not in my top ten, and it wouldn't be in most peoples top 5.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Maybe because it was in Canada,

Maybe because it was just.... not... interesting,

But it's not in my top ten, and it wouldn't be in most peoples top 5.

Meh, we're used to it... if it's not from the U.S. it's not good

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

come on ppl. Joe carters home run is def. in the top 5 ever.

plus that pretty much ended wild things reputation.

especially for  us canadians, thats was special. hopefully in a year or so the jays will be contending again, which they should be.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

While the "Greatest Homers of All-Time" has been done to death, I think a more interesting list would be the Homers that Time Forgot - important home runs that have faded from discussion.  Examples would be Al Weis' homer that tied Game 5 of the 1969 World Series, Johnny Bench's game-tying solo homer off Dave Giusti in the 9th inning of Game 5 of the 1972 NLCS or Gene Tenace's two homer in Game 1 of the '72 World Series.

Archived