LA Clippers Concept *UPDATE*

RichNCreamy

I've mostly just been browsing these past few months, but I just finished a Clippers design that I would like some feedback on. I posted a couple versions here because I don't know which looks better, though right now I'm partial to the one with the half-circle background. C&C Please! :D

ClippersPost.png

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has some serious potential my friend.

I REALLY like the secondary LA logo, it's the best part in the set I think.

The wordmarks bother me a bit. Maybe its the extra outlines, but it doesn't seem to legible. I don't like the little random tail in the middle of the C, and the random merging of the p's.

Don't really understand the whole red silhouetted boat behind the main one. Is it just supposed to be a drop shadow? I think it unnecessarily busies it up.

The basketball could be cleaned up a little bit. Maybe make it white.

I definitely don't like the huge, half-moon/circle shape thing behind the boat. It makes everything busy, and to be honest I don't know what the hell it is. HOWEVER, I think the one on the right, without that shape, seems empty. So I'm not exactly sure what to put behind it.

Good work, I can't wait to see where this goes.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Thanks for the feedback! The red silhouette shapes are supposed to be the second set of sails in the back. I'll try playing with them to make it fit in better (or just take them out), as well as the basketball. I'm finishing up the uni set now though so that will be the next thing to go up before I revist the logo.

The sails have depth (the shadows) but are attached to a 2-d object (the ball). They either need to be more flat, or be anchored to another object with more depth. Also, they look like they're falling right off the ball.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The ship looks like it's about to capsize.

Umm, no, not really. The slight angle of the ship's sails actually lend an idea of movement and speed to the object. I'd say its pretty good, overall, but that the shadows and whatnot need work.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Interesting. I put the sails off to one side to make it seem like it was moving, like aci said. It never looked to me like it was capsizing or that the sails were sliding off. I had them straight up and down but it made it look too static, but I'll mess around with it some more. In the mean time here's the jerseys:

ClippersUniDisplaycopy.png

I like this a lot. It doesn't look like it's about to capsize to me...it just looks like it's moving quickly, as a clipper ship should do! The new script wordmark is nice, too, although I think it has one too many outlines on the primary logo. Just eliminate the extraneous white outline and it's set. As for the uniforms, the side paneling could do with a little spicing up IMO. Maybe a design evocative of sails? Just keep it simple if you do end up changing it, as an overly cluttered basketball uniform is ugly as all get out. Nice work!

scotland_fifasig.png

The logo has potential, but I don't think it's great yet. The jersey numbers look quite middle school basketball. Try a more professional font, some thing with more character. I'm not sure I like the blue jerseys. The red was unique to the division. Also, a major critique of the current Clippers uniform is that it's boring. Your version is a pretty standard side panel with a flair swoosh on the shorts. It doesn't say Clippers any more or less than the current model. Try going more nautical, giving the uniform more of a theme. As far as the logo set is concerned, I think chestnutz covered most of the major points.

My biggest critique/something i noticed is there's no actual ship. The sails look great, but unless the basketball is supposed to act as the actual ship, (sorry don't know the techinical word) it looks like floating sails. maybe turning the half ball upside down to act as that part rather than having it look like it is balancing on the half ball. Other than that, it looks great. the jerseys are a bit bland too, compared to the logo, but they still look nice. nice work

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

GIGANTIC improvement my man. The ship is leaps and bounds better.

The one thing left to fix is the wordmark. I think something a little extra can be done, to give it some pizazz. Maybe make the tail on the C come under/over some of the other letters, in the save wave pattern as the water.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

That update is astounding! It is very NBA-like but I agree with chestnutz, add a little wave to the tail of the C and it will add to the greatness. Hopefully you're done browsing and are ready to unveil some more concepts to us.

Damn, I can't keep my eyes off that update!

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

Great concept. I agree as well that something a tiny bit extra needs to be done to the wordmark. Maybe a little more cursive as opposed to italicized print? Also, I beleive, though not positive, that a primary NBA logo needs to have the city name in there somewhere. Maybe you can sneek it into that empty blue area above the P's or underneithe the "ers"

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Archived