Dwayne Roloson Mask mishmatch

NJTank

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

86hvomw.png

Potvin on the Islanders with Leafs gear on.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Dude was traded like 3 days ago

I'm not sure if that means "that's more than enough time for him to have it changed" or "give him a break, it's only been three days," but I still think it's pretty bad. I feel like that's enough time for him to have gotten a different mask, even if it was completely plain. This isn't peewee hockey, these guys can afford new equipment and have ways of getting it whenever they want. That's a uniform gaffe if I've ever seen one, even if it was intentional.

Thats pretty ignorant.

Goalie masks are custom made and are only shaped to resemble off the shelf masks and badged as such.

Each goalie has a mold of his head taken and sent to a "Mask Maker" to create a new one from scratch using Fiberglass, Kevlar, and one other material.

Most helmets are back-ordered for a 6-8 week wait to receive it, and a Goalie sometimes tends to order a duplicate to be on the safe side. However the masks are expensive, and it's impractical to have more then one due to the components breaking down and becoming easily susceptible to injury. (Difference is todays helemts are meant to be light and somewhat disposible at the pro level, older helmets were made to last)

My guess, his backup helmet (he was likely to be traded) was a little old and he needed to order a new one or buy one that fit well enough off the shelf.

Or he left it at home.

Either way I kinda like the Just Traded look.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

I'm not sure if that means "that's more than enough time for him to have it changed" or "give him a break, it's only been three days," but I still think it's pretty bad. I feel like that's enough time for him to have gotten a different mask, even if it was completely plain. This isn't peewee hockey, these guys can afford new equipment and have ways of getting it whenever they want. That's a uniform gaffe if I've ever seen one, even if it was intentional.

Hockey players.. especially goalies can be super picky about their gear and he might have not had the chance to get a white mask.

When it gets to the point where they are wearing equipment that blatantly features another team's logo, then they're being too picky.

So you'd rather have your goalie give up 5 goals wearing a plain white helmet than record a shutout wearing another team's loogo on his helmet?

Um, no. But how many times have you seen a recently traded goalie with a quick paint job (like a self-done all black spray-paint) in a situation like this? I think that's the point. Three days (and truthfully, all it would take is a few minutes from the equipment manager before the game) should be plenty of time for something like that until the new mask in Bolts colors arrives...

Again wrong.

You can't spray paint a helmet without damaging the helmets shells materials.

Spray painting it could make it unsafe. They usually put tape over the logo, but even then you can't tape the whole helmet without making it 2x heavier.

Hockey players.. especially goalies can be super picky about their gear and he might have not had the chance to get a white mask.

When it gets to the point where they are wearing equipment that blatantly features another team's logo, then they're being too picky.

So you'd rather have your goalie give up 5 goals wearing a plain white helmet than record a shutout wearing another team's loogo on his helmet?

Um, no. But how many times have you seen a recently traded goalie with a quick paint job (like a self-done all black spray-paint) in a situation like this? I think that's the point. Three days (and truthfully, all it would take is a few minutes from the equipment manager before the game) should be plenty of time for something like that until the new mask in Bolts colors arrives...

Again wrong.

Spray painting it could make it unsafe. They usually put tape over the logo, but even then you can't tape the whole helmet without making it 2x heavier.

Then just put a little bit of tape over the logo. That way, he doesn't look like he plays for the Islanders anymore, and he won't even feel the difference. Problem solved. Although I know someone is going to argue against this idea just for the sake of arguing.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Roloson is pretty superstitious about his equipment, like most goalies I guess. I wouldn't be suprised if the only thing he changed this season was his mask.

When Roloson got traded from Minnesota to Edmonton at the 2006 trade deadline, he eventually got Oiler coloured equipment but only wore the glove and blocker. He continued to wear his Wild pads because he was playing well and didn't want to switch. iirc he also doesn't like breaking in new pads midseason. One of his backups, Ty Conklin, was actually doing that for him, though Roli didn't use them.

ozziefirstdayislander.jpg

What was the reason for Osgood not wearing a navy pant shell? I didn't understand that. I know the NHL told him to get team coloured equipment because he hadn't changed after about a month but I would think a pant shell would be required right away.

Again wrong.

Then just put a little bit of tape over the logo. That way, he doesn't look like he plays for the Islanders anymore, and he won't even feel the difference. Problem solved. Although I know someone is going to argue against this idea just for the sake of arguing.

To be fair, the logo IS the helmet. It's orange and has a giant NY on the crown.

I remember back in 09 the Blue Jackets were playing the Bruins in Columbus and Tim Thomas got jarred which broke something on his "mage". He had to use Manny Fernandez's mask and he gave up the go-ahead goal late in the game. Thomas was noticeably upset and uncomfortable with the mask on his head and put his back on as soon as the equipment guy fixed it.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I remember back in 09 the Blue Jackets were playing the Bruins in Columbus and Tim Thomas got jarred which broke something on his "mage". He had to use Manny Fernandez's mask and he gave up the go-ahead goal late in the game. Thomas was noticeably upset and uncomfortable with the mask on his head and put his back on as soon as the equipment guy fixed it.

3345949119_69b48e5487_o.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Again wrong.

So you've already decreed that everyone who disagrees with you is wrong. Top notch discussion tactics there.

Believe it or not some goalies do tape over their old team's logos while waiting for a new mask to be painted. The reason Roloson didn't do that is because the Islanders logo on his old mask is so huge. It's not like a piece or two of hockey tape would get the job done. It would take more effort then it's worth, especially considering that he would have to re-tape the thing after each game (a puck or two the giant tape job would necessitate redoing it).

I understand that you're not a hockey fan, nor have you played the sport, so you're probably unfamiliar with the fact that this is a regular occurrence and that goalies are very particular about their gear. I also understand that, like the rest of us, you're into uniforms and logos, so seeing as you're unfamiliar with the sport something like this would bother you.

That being said take it from all the hockey fans who have corrected you here; this isn't that big of a deal. It takes a while to get a new mask painted and it takes longer to break in new pads. I'm sure Lightning fans would rather have their goalie comfortable then playing in new, stiff gear.

Thats pretty ignorant.

Goalie masks are custom made and are only shaped to resemble off the shelf masks and badged as such.

Each goalie has a mold of his head taken and sent to a "Mask Maker" to create a new one from scratch using Fiberglass, Kevlar, and one other material.

Most helmets are back-ordered for a 6-8 week wait to receive it, and a Goalie sometimes tends to order a duplicate to be on the safe side. However the masks are expensive, and it's impractical to have more then one due to the components breaking down and becoming easily susceptible to injury. (Difference is todays helemts are meant to be light and somewhat disposible at the pro level, older helmets were made to last)

My guess, his backup helmet (he was likely to be traded) was a little old and he needed to order a new one or buy one that fit well enough off the shelf.

Or he left it at home.

Dude not all goalies get molded maybe 25% of them, the masks from Bauer ( Not Pro's Choice) are stock and anyone can buy one just like it. Warwick is stock, Sportmask is stock, The reason for the backorder is the paint job is taking that long , if the goalie wants Daveart or Ray Bishop it is min 8 weeks a lot of times.

Dude not all goalies get molded maybe 25% of them, the masks from Bauer ( Not Pro's Choice) are stock and anyone can buy one just like it. Warwick is stock, Sportmask is stock, The reason for the backorder is the paint job is taking that long , if the goalie wants Daveart or Ray Bishop it is min 8 weeks a lot of times.

Yes, but even off-the-rack masks need to be broken in.

Thats pretty ignorant.

Or he left it at home.

You think a guy who has been a starter in the league and is still one of the top 40 goalies has a off the shelf mask? I really doubt that.

Thats pretty ignorant.

Or he left it at home.

You think a guy who has been a starter in the league and is still one of the top 40 goalies has a off the shelf mask? I really doubt that.

With concussion concerns, I doubt that many if any NHL goals get their masks off the shelf.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Thats pretty ignorant.

Or he left it at home.

With concussion concerns, I doubt that many if any NHL goals get their masks off the shelf.

Heck, I've played High School and College hockey and have had around 8. They aren't hard to get in a Off the shelf mask, and I've since moved up to one that fits very well. I had a custom mask that weighed a ton for protection, and once I felt I was well enough moved to a Itech.

Thats pretty ignorant.

Or he left it at home.

you would be surprised, The teams order from the same catalog that the retail shops order from, I have been to the Equipment mangers meetings/shows and the companies push the "pro"masks and it is the same pro masks I can order from Goalie Monkey. I don't worry about my mask as it is a full custom made from my face mold . it is made by Pro's choice and is one of the top masks out there. I have several friends who are equipment managers at different levels and This is the way it is done

Archived