_____ > Ron Parker, phenomenon

Brave-Bird 08

This whole article is total B.S. Rob Parker should get fined or something for an artical like this. Why you ask? He said a racist comment in the original article. I didn't see it, but I can tell that it's about Atlanta's heavy African-American population. Honestly, I've met people from Alabama, Tennessee, and South Carolina at Braves games before. That is obviously a strong fanbase, if you can get people to spend enough money to go out-of-state during the week, and see a team that plays 200 miles from their homes, then that seems like a strong enough fanbase to me. Also the stats for attendance are not bad. If you can get a higher average attendance than more than half the teams in the league, you're in great position. It means your fans can fill the stadium, dome, or arena to almost complete capacity. Yeah sure the Thrashers were a fail, but honestly down in Atlanta, no one cares about hockey. Even if they were a better team, they still would've gotten a higher average attendance of about 300-800 more fans. Atlanta fans are passionate for their teams, but Mr. Parker just doesn't see that.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

This article really got under my skin. The guy obviously has no clue what he is talking about. I can tell you this, I live in California now and go to Braves games any time they are here. It doesn't matter if it's Petco Park, Angels Stadium, or Dodger Stadium, there are TONS of Braves fans there. Last year when the Braves played the Angels in the 12-inning game, there were so many Braves fans that we started doing the tomahawk chop...and it was LOUD.

I'll take finishing 15th out of 30 teams for home attendance because if you counted all the fans that go to road games for the Braves, they would be way up there.

Already being discussed here:

He started that thread too.

Really needed another thread for something nobody seemed particularly interested in to start with?

The sewage rendering site of the sports blogosphere needed the hits.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If people in Atlanta should be upset about this article, it's because he's absolutely right. You want evidence? I've said all of this many times:

1. In 2001 at my first game in Atlanta, I was shocked that so many Saints fans were in the Georgia Dome that the Falcons were booed during the intros and met with chants of "Defense!" when they came to the line on 3rd and short.

But don't take my word for it...

2. The number of Steelers fans in attendance caused Falcons TE Alge Crumpler to call a Georgia Dome win over Pittsburgh "our best road win in a while."

3. Falcons OC Mike Mularkey commenting on the Saints-Falcons game in Atlanta this season: ?It was much louder, for a home game, than we anticipated,? said Mularkey. ?We had some problems in the gun which you wouldn?t have expected being at home. Their fans gave us problems at home. We weren?t prepared for that so we had a little bit of miscommunications.?

4. This isn't the Superdome, it's the Georgia Dome at the end of the game Mularkey was talking about. The Saints had just kicked the winning FG.

AdobeFlashPlayer1114201192304AM.jpg

And that's just football. Want to talk about the Braves struggling to sell out playoff games?

So for all that, I find the indignation in your BR article misplaced if not outright amusing.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Atlanta is practically New Orleans North, thanks to Katrina.

Well, your river is smaller but your airport is bigger. :D

To your irrelevant point, Atlanta was a fair-weather sports town loooooong before Katrina blew in. See my #1 above.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Atlanta is practically New Orleans North, thanks to Katrina.

Well, your river is smaller but your airport is bigger. :D

To your irrelevant point, Atlanta was a fair-weather sports town loooooong before Katrina blew in. See my #1 above.

Doesn't surprise me... I lived in Atlanta in 2001 and probably met more people from New Orleans in the year I was there than ATL natives.

I think the problem with Atlanta is that 80% of metro Atlanta moved there from somewhere else and if you were to simply count Atlanta residents who were actually born in Georgia, you'd probably end up with a market smaller than Jacksonville.

Yep. The fire broke out the same day where Fred McGriff was making his Braves debut after being traded from San Diego.

There's the famous picture of Mark Lemke and Jeff "Snatch" Blauser are posing on the infield with the flames in the background....

slide_184757_braves.090814.jpg

spacer.png

Archived