2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

Yes, I would consider that a close-up shot. When just shown in typical action, look at the highlights below, it's not nearly as impressive:

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2013020012

Maybe dull's the wrong word. It's definitely darker...sort of a sickly color when it's darkened...These jerseys should SPARKLE on tv, and they really don't...It doesn't pop the way the Whalers old jersey (their away jersey back in the day) would in away arenas on TV.

Dallas : Brighten it up, guys !

Minnesota's really almost does look a notch below black or the darkest green possible unless shown in close-up.

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2013020011&navid=sb:recap

If the colors look good in person, or in photos, but not on TV, that isn't the team or the jersey manufacturer's fault. That's the TV network and/or camera man for not properly white balancing.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

San Jose's uniforms don't look as bad as I thought they would. Removing the black shoulder striping is a positive. If they would just remove the front numbers and add a hem stripe they'd be really nice.

I feel the same way. San Jose's look is really growing on me. While I do think the white jersey looks dull and plain (It kinda looks like a practice jersey) the teal one looks pretty sharp.

As for Dallas, I know its nitpicking but the logo decal on the helmets is too small. I wish they would make them just a little bit bigger.

The Catch of the Day!

Yeah, it has caught on with the fans too. During last night's game, there was literally a sea of green.

I wonder how the Canes are doing in that aspect...

Well they just changed (poorly) the uniforms design, not the color. So i guess people will still wear red in Carolina.

Yeah, it has caught on with the fans too. During last night's game, there was literally a sea of green.

I wonder how the Canes are doing in that aspect...

Well they just changed (poorly) the uniforms design, not the color. So i guess people will still wear red in Carolina.

Yeah, I meant uniforms, not color. To rephrase, I meant to say the last time I saw a Hurricanes home game this year, I couldn't see any new jerseys worn inside the crowd. I'm sure there were some, but not many.

Seeing the Stars in action just further reinforced my opinion that the Stars just don't look like the Stars without gold/yellow. They look close, but not quite like the real deal. It's similar to the Dolphins minimizing orange, but at least they kept hints of it around.

Put it this way: If I had no prior knowledge of hockey and someone told me that last night's matchup was between two new expansion teams, I would've easily believed them.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Yes, I would consider that a close-up shot. When just shown in typical action, look at the highlights below, it's not nearly as impressive:

Maybe dull's the wrong word. It's definitely darker...sort of a sickly color when it's darkened...These jerseys should SPARKLE on tv, and they really don't...It doesn't pop the way the Whalers old jersey (their away jersey back in the day) would in away arenas on TV.

Minnesota's really almost does look a notch below black or the darkest green possible unless shown in close-up.

If the colors look good in person, or in photos, but not on TV, that isn't the team or the jersey manufacturer's fault. That's the TV network and/or camera man for not properly white balancing.

I'm just surprised that the league/ NBC/ sponsors don't demand better white-balancing then. I think it's a problem league-wide. Many teams just look like dark navyish/blackish blobs. It's fine for the diehards. We can figure it out, but marketing a sport means you have to have better brand recognition. I'll keep beating this drum until it beats without me !

I'm just surprised that the league/ NBC/ sponsors don't demand better white-balancing then. I think it's a problem league-wide. Many teams just look like dark navyish/blackish blobs. It's fine for the diehards. We can figure it out, but marketing a sport means you have to have better brand recognition. I'll keep beating this drum until it beats without me !

And I do blame the team because you have a full year to demo these. Test them with the networks, etc. These should look brilliant on TV, and frankly, they don't. My hunch is that NHL arenas are kept dark-ish to obscure the fact that attendance truly has suffered -- despite what the league will tell you. That Dallas game for instance, after a new owner/GM/coach/captain/color scheme/ jersey/ EVEEEEEEEEEEEERYTHING...didn't even come close to selling out its game last night.

I think that's the dirty little secret that teams / the league don't want you the fan knowing... so it's just easier to use the excuse of showing contrast between the crowd and the white ice...not buying it.

Again, those jerseys should look impeccably green, and they don't on TV.

Seeing the Stars in action just further reinforced my opinion that the Stars just don't look like the Stars without gold/yellow. They look close, but not quite like the real deal. It's similar to the Dolphins minimizing orange, but at least they kept hints of it around.

Disagreed. The Stars are the same franchise, but not the same team as the North Stars. They definitely should honor their roots, but they should have an identity of their own. Removing gold gives Dallas that distinction from Minnesota, and the new logo completes it.

Also, it may have been a good thing that the logos leaked, prior to the uniform unveiling. The new unis are universally praised despite the loss of gold, but people were complaining big time when they saw the logos. At soon as fans got that out of the way, it made room for judging the uniform based on how it looks, without using nostalgia as an argument against it. I think the new uniforms would have been trashed, if nobody knew what they would look like beforehand.

Well the Stars did hand out green shirts for opener...
And, unfortunately, many empty, shirt-covered seats remained during the game, which was the main reason for the "sea of green" effect. I got fooled at first, too, because I'm used to seeing all those depressing gray seats when I watch a Stars game. Same crap, different color.
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

My hunch is that NHL arenas are kept dark-ish to obscure the fact that attendance truly has suffered -- despite what the league will tell you. That Dallas game for instance, after a new owner/GM/coach/captain/color scheme/ jersey/ EVEEEEEEEEEEEERYTHING...didn't even come close to selling out its game last night.

That's funny, because three arenas that would have every right to trumpet their attendance -- Chicago, New York, Montreal -- have the good sense to keep their house lights way down and focus on lighting the "stage." It's the empty barns that seem to leave their lights up all game.

INTERPOLATION:

Some guy who is probably an idiot gave me crap in the main thread about attendance at a certain game, saying something along the lines of "oh, God forbid people aren't there for puck drop." Well, to continue with the theater metaphor I touched on with lighting schemes, yeah, you know what? People should be there for puck drop. You pay damn good money to go an NHL game these days. As far as Chicago goes, people pay far more money than I can afford to pay at this juncture. Would you amble into a symphony late, as long as you still got there for the first movement? What about a play? Would you walk into a movie after it started? These are all things that cost less than a major-market NHL game does, which may be an indictment of our cultural priorities, but I would never dare to do any of those, not just because it's poor form but because if I am paying for an experience, I would like to get that which I have paid for, which means being where I'm supposed to be in a timely manner. With the price you have to pay to get in, how can you do anything less? Maybe it's the Midwesterner in me, but ~*God forbid*~ I expect people to show up to their goddamned ticketed location on time.

And yeah, covering the seats with free shirts seems to hide a multitude of sins. I believe the Miami Heat pioneered this.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

What pisses me off even more than people not showing up before puck drop (which can be forgiven if said people are in line for beer/food/bathroom) are the people that leave the game during the intermission or when there's 5 mins left in the game. I had to work security during a Canucks game against the oilers last season and I had about 40-60 people walk through the exit I was stationed at during the 2nd intermission, and it was like a 2-1 game at that point. That bugged me, but what got to me even more was at the 6 minutes left mark of the game (tied 2-2) I had hordes of people pouring out the exits and even more at the 3rd intermission. And it was tied going into overtime ffs. You pay over 100+ bucks a head for tickets and you don't even stick around to see the conclusion of the game you spent an arm and a leg for? I even saw a little kid around 7ish years old being forcibly dragged out of the arena by his mother during the overtime intermission crying his eyes out not even wanting to leave. It was probably one of his first games and you won't even let him see the finish? :censored: people

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

Do the Devils need new uni's?? I think so!!

Please leave.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Do the Devils need new uni's?? I think so!!

Please leave.

Good lord, are they the only team in the NHL to not have had an alternate jersey in the last 20 years?

Both Jets teams have not, but the first Winnipeg Jets relocated before 3rd jerseys were really a thing and the new team is still establishing their brand.

Archived