Bizarre/Unusual Numbers on Jerseys

kloo

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eddie Gaedel, who had one plate appearance; put in because his short stature would likely (and did) draw a walk.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Chuck Kinder wore #100 for West Virginia. Apparently he was issued the number in 1963 and received permission from the NCAA to do so because it was West Virginia's 100th year of statehood.

west%20va%20chuck%20kinder%2063.jpg

chuckkinder1.jpg

For some reason, I remember seeing a picture of a kicker for Kansas did who did this as well in 1969, for the 100th anniversary of college football.

EDIT: The Kansas kicker was Bill Bell, who went on to kick for the Falcons. I can't seem to find a picture of him wearing 100 though.

bernie_parent2.jpg

Bernie Parent- Philadelphia Blazers

"Every time a puck gets past me and I look back in the net, I say 'Oh, Oh,'"

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Jim Otto of the Oakland Raiders wore Ot-Oh.

jimotto01.jpg

I always said that if I ever made it to the NFL, I'd petition the league to allow me to wear 00 in honor of my fellow Wisconsinite.

Sadly, that never came to fruition. :D

00 really isn't all that uncommon of a number in baseball or basketball. In fact it's practically ubiquitous at the high school and college levels of basketball due to schools being discouraged (or even forbidden, the the case of the NCAA) from issuing any jerseys that feature an individual number higher than 5 (i.e. 10 or 53 is allowed, but not 17 or 46).

Al Oliver.

tumblr_ln94so1yyn1qbl67ao1_400.jpg

For the record, it was much harder finding a picture of him wearing No. 0 than I would have expected.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

This is a bit of a tangent (to "amusingly appropriate numbers), but how about Jordin Tootoo wearing 22
\

Or Joseph Forte wearing number Forty

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived