kloo

Bizarre/Unusual Numbers on Jerseys

Has this been talked about? I found two weird ones, Ivan Zamorano and Clinton Morrison. With "+" signs on the back of their jerseys

.ivan-luis-zamorano.jpg

vR7cM.jpg

Maybe they were trying to honor two players, or maybe they wanted to be #9, #10 respectively but they were already taken?

Yes, you're correct. They were both taken and they went with the "+" sign.

Eddie Gaedel, who had one plate appearance; put in because his short stature would likely (and did) draw a walk.

Chuck Kinder wore #100 for West Virginia. Apparently he was issued the number in 1963 and received permission from the NCAA to do so because it was West Virginia's 100th year of statehood.

west%20va%20chuck%20kinder%2063.jpg

chuckkinder1.jpg

For some reason, I remember seeing a picture of a kicker for Kansas did who did this as well in 1969, for the 100th anniversary of college football.

EDIT: The Kansas kicker was Bill Bell, who went on to kick for the Falcons. I can't seem to find a picture of him wearing 100 though.

bernie_parent2.jpg

Bernie Parent- Philadelphia Blazers

"Every time a puck gets past me and I look back in the net, I say 'Oh, Oh,'"

No pics but the worst player on a team in my old softball league wore 911. Obert Logan of the Saints wore 0 and Ken Burrough wore 00 with New Orleans and Houston.

96749.jpg

7180198509_71571faeaf_o.png

Maybe they were trying to honor two players, or maybe they wanted to be #9, #10 respectively but they were already taken?

Yes, you're correct. They were both taken and they went with the "+" sign.

I am the smartest man alive!

Jim Otto of the Oakland Raiders wore Ot-Oh.

jimotto01.jpg

I always said that if I ever made it to the NFL, I'd petition the league to allow me to wear 00 in honor of my fellow Wisconsinite.

Sadly, that never came to fruition. :D

00 really isn't all that uncommon of a number in baseball or basketball. In fact it's practically ubiquitous at the high school and college levels of basketball due to schools being discouraged (or even forbidden, the the case of the NCAA) from issuing any jerseys that feature an individual number higher than 5 (i.e. 10 or 53 is allowed, but not 17 or 46).

Al Oliver.

tumblr_ln94so1yyn1qbl67ao1_400.jpg

For the record, it was much harder finding a picture of him wearing No. 0 than I would have expected.

This is a bit of a tangent (to "amusingly appropriate numbers), but how about Jordin Tootoo wearing 22
\

Or Joseph Forte wearing number Forty

This is a bit of a tangent (to "amusingly appropriate numbers), but how about Jordin Tootoo wearing 22

20120303_tjg_su8_012_extra_large_medium.jpg

Or Joseph Forte wearing number Forty

display_image.jpg

I do not understand what is weird about the numbers 22 and 40.