A MLB Uniform Style Guide - "The Double Knit Era"

TruColor

A few months ago, I was approached by a guy who has put together a visual "style guide" of sorts of MLB uniforms from 1972 through the present. This guy (Bill Henderson) is an avid collector of authentic MLB jerseys, and has an enormous collection. Bill's from Philadelphia, but he and his family are temporarily living in Tokyo - so his collection is spread-out over the world right now.

This PDF file contains photographs and images of pretty much every jersey used by every major league team since 1972.

Bill has done an amazing job with this document, and he is finally ready to share it with all of you...here is the link:

MLB Style Guide - "The Double Knit Era"

WARNING: This is a large doc - 45 megs!

Note: Once my site gets back up, I'll have a link to it in a prominent place, so you can always come back to it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is awesome! I'm only to the Indians but I noticed a few quick things you might want to mention to him.

In atlanta, the Turner Field Patch would be from 1997 instead of 1987.

And if he could find some pics of the deion Sanders inspired Reds Jerseys that could be interesting. You know the sleeveless ones that were a bit longer at the top, or maybe half short sleeves. I think you know what i'm talking about.

I just thought I'd mention mainly the 87/97 thing. Probably a typo but I'd like to know if I did it!

Tell him its awesome and I'll be reading it probably for the rest of the night!

peace,

pc

yeah those turn ahead the clock uniforms were well....interesting lol they are cool but could be worked a lot better, maybe we should do a turn ahead the clock contest?

everything discrim does is a turn ahead the clock contest :)

Hi-

I'm the guy who compiled the "MLB Double Knit Style Guide". Thanks for the nice comments. Nice to know that I'm not the only guy who cares about this stuff. I am interested in any errors caught, or suggestions for items I missed. I've noted the comments that people already posted on the board. I'll update this all again someday.

As far as publishing this in a book form-- the length alone would make this a hefty volume. It's over 600 pages...

Do you think people would be interested in it on CD? Several have already written to me asking about the availability of type fonts, and I am trying to decide how to manage this.

I am currently stationed (stuck?) in Tokyo for business, and the summer here is hot and long. Further, my night is your day, and vice versa. I'd be interested in any comments, either here on the board, or directly at wfhenderson@yahoo.com

Regards, Bill

Its hard not to completely suck up to ya pantone, you continue to impress. :D

Wonderful resource, ill be pointing people to that.

Amazing.

Geez...let's not get carried away...all I did was post the thing.

I really didn't have anything to do with its creation (see Bill Henderson's post!).

:P

I am interested in any errors caught, or suggestions for items I missed.

You have the jays world series champions logo on there yet it was never worn on a uniform, just a logo that was on the outfield wall in 1994. Not sure if you were implying it was used on a uniform or not. They also wore a City of Toronto anniversary patch in 1984, I can't find a good pic of that anywhere, driving me up the wall!

I also didn't see a page in the document that listed your resources for compiling the guide... There are several logos in there that I personally drew, Georgia 250 for example (can't ya tell by it's "amazing" quality ;) ), now I don't have a problem that I was left out -- it's being used on the SSUR so it's no biggie, but others might be upset that images of their collections, or from their sites aren't acknowledged as such.

Overall, an amazing package of information, and something I've definately never come across in the years of searching the web!

I'll definately be referencing this when adding more mlb logos to the site in the coming months.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I also didn't see a page in the document that listed your resources for compiling the guide... There are several logos in there that I personally drew, Georgia 250 for example (can't ya tell by it's "amazing" quality ;) ), now I don't have a problem that I was left out -- it's being used on the SSUR so it's no biggie, but others might be upset that images of their collections, or from their sites aren't acknowledged as such.

Which logo are you referring to Chris? I would like to give credit where credit's due as well...

I also didn't see a page in the document that listed your resources for compiling the guide... There are several logos in there that I personally drew, Georgia 250 for example (can't ya tell by it's "amazing" quality  ;) ), now I don't have a problem that I was left out -- it's being used on the SSUR so it's no biggie, but others might be upset that images of their collections, or from their sites aren't acknowledged as such.

Which logo are you referring to Chris? I would like to give credit where credit's due as well...

A good majority of the logos are directly from my site, but I didn't draw about 98% of them.

Off the top of my head I know I drew the Georgia 250 logo, and the Blue Jays 92/93 champs logo... if I notice any others I'll let you know.

Thanks.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Chris,

I still don't know what you mean by one (or more?) of your logos being used on the SSUR site...99.9% of mine are taken from the stories I report on, from original official vector artwork, or in some cases - the SLE. I realize that since my site's currently down, it's kind of hard to remember, but still - I want to know what you're referring to.

Just curious.

Archived