Winnipeg Arena 1955-2004

gojetsgo

With the opening of the new MTS Centre in downtown Winnipeg, the old barn has run its course. Unfortunately I'm in Edmonton right now, or I'd be at the final game in the arena tonight.

I'm just starting this thread for people to share memories of the arena with other Winnipeggers :cry:

The arena has been through alot: 3 Avco Cup championships, countless jet battles with the oilers, canucks, and flames, the 1972 Summit series, and tons of other international tournies.

My favourite Arena moment was my first Jet playoff game. It was 1990 and the Jets took the Oilers to 7 games (the Oilers eventually went on to win the cup). I still get chills thinking about the whiteout. The best part: 15000 people simultaneously chanting "... RAAAAANFORD.....RAAAAAANFORD!"

What's your favourite Winnipeg arena (or Jet) memory?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
my favorite Jet memory is when they moved to Phoenix and became the Coyotes

That's not cool

For you or Winnipeg fans, but for Coyotes fans it's important.

Sorry, had to defend that stance.

Yeah but not in the same thread started by a guy who spent some great moments there. :P

That's not cool

Yeah but not in the same thread started by a guy who spent some great moments there. :P

excellent point

That's not cool

that's all I meant sorry Winnipeg fan's but without the Jets the Coyotes would be nothing, that is all I meant sorry, sorry if I offended any Jet fan's

That's not cool

It's been long enough... let it die. You don't see me getting all weepy over the Rams leaving, and I was a pretty huge LA Rams fan back in the day.

VmWIn6B.png

My favourite Arena moment was my first Jet playoff game. It was 1990 and the Jets took the Oilers to 7 games (the Oilers eventually went on to win the cup). I still get chills thinking about the whiteout. The best part: 15000 people simultaneously chanting "... RAAAAANFORD.....RAAAAAANFORD!"

What's your favourite Winnipeg arena (or Jet) memory?

The Jets could have won that one...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I can tell you what my worst memory was: Living close enough to go to some games ( I grew up in northeast ND.. Grafton for you Winnipeggers that drove past it on the way to Grand Forks and what not) anyway living that close and not goin to any games. I wasnt old enough to drive there on my own in the later years, and my parents where always too busy to take us. :evil::cursing::flagcanada:

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

That's not cool

It's been long enough... let it die. You don't see me getting all weepy over the Rams leaving, and I was a pretty huge LA Rams fan back in the day.

I think that is the point of the post. He's letting go of the memories beacuse the arena they played in is being torn down.

It's almost as if respect has been thrown out the window in this thread.

The guy starts a thread about sharing favourite memories about the Jets and the 'Peg Arena and apparently it's okay to gloat about taking their team.

Common sense guys, it's not hard to practice.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

My favourite Winnipeg Arena memory is walking through the gate a little late on my way to my seat... and on the scoreboard the Jets are flying around and the crowd's going nuts as the Jets hit the ice... in a word, "electric".

There's a few experiences that stick with you because of the feelings and emotions they evoke. This would be one.

Also, it'll be kind of sad to see the old barn go down like Matt Dunigan. That was a big part of my childhood... the names that come up when I think of my teams... Steen, Elyniuk, Ellett, Essensa, Paddock... later on Selanne, Tkachuk...

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Lets see I was there when Selanne got the silver stick for surpassing Bossys record... and man were the Boos deafening when they announced that Bossy wasnt in the building that night... and when ever I hear Van Halens jump i will always think of the Jets...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Nice stuff guys ... maybe one day we'll experience that again. (But Let's not turn this thread into THAT though).

Van Halen's jump....

Same here. I can't hear that song without announcing,

"Ladies and Gentlemen.........Here are YOUR WINNIPEG JETS!" I actually say that every time. My girlfriend just rolls her eyes. Some people just don't appreciate it (but she was a Jet fan more in the "Get ready for this" theme song days.

"Ladies and Gentlemen.........Here are YOUR WINNIPEG JETS!" I actually say that every time. My girlfriend just rolls her eyes. Some people just don't appreciate it (but she was a Jet fan more in the "Get ready for this" theme song days.

Ah yes, 2Unlimited.... what ever happened to them?

I saw, I came, I left.

Nice stuff guys ... maybe one day we'll experience that again. (But Let's not turn this thread into THAT though).

Van Halen's jump....

Same here. I can't hear that song without announcing,

I have that same general reaction upon hearing the beginning of Richard Strauss' "Thus Spake Zarathustra."

Or when Ric Flair enters the arena.

"WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Oh, for the love of Benji, shut up.

Jets memories. I'm probably the only Winnipegger on the board old enough to remember Hull's Angels, Bobby Hull, Anders Hedberg, and Ulf Nilsson, flying around the ice scoring goals at will. The first North American club team to defeat the Soviet National Team....and I was there for all of it.

Say what you want about the Jets vs the Oil...or the Flames...or the 'Nucks. The Jets and the Blackhawks HATED each other. Always a tight game, always an intense game, always 4-3.

The white-outs come playoff time....Jets v. Detroit...the upperdeck shaking a good foot up and down as we stomped like maniacs for our boys.

I miss the Jets. Lots.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I miss the Jets. Lots.

Yup.

Hey Lamicus... get Burton Cummings to forget buying silly local restaurant chains (kidding of course) and contribute to actually doing something for this city for once. :)

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived