Wolff: Name change will include "A's of Fremont"

marlinfan

Maybe I am reading to much into this statement but...

From an article about the new stadium for the A's in Fremont:

"[The A's] have an interest in having a good, clear identity -- probably a regional one," Mayor Bob Wasserman told the newspaper. "We have an interest in the name 'Fremont.' There's a feeling we'll try to accommodate both of those."

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NASApp/ml...sp&c_id=oak

Silicon Valley A's of Fremont?

I may be reading to much into the statement, but that's the first thing I thought when I read that statement.

1997 | 2003

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's important to have an inclusive location name. This is why the Green Bay Packers are the least popular team in the NFL.

Are they really the least popular or are you being sarcastic? Even before I moved to Minnesota I knew a lot more Packer fans than fans of at least half of the teams in the NFL.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

It's important to have an inclusive location name. This is why the Green Bay Packers are the least popular team in the NFL.

Are they really the least popular or are you being sarcastic? Even before I moved to Minnesota I knew a lot more Packer fans than fans of at least half of the teams in the NFL.

Come on.

Why wouldn't he be serious?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

UPDATED: Most popular NFL Team Sites (October 1-7, 2006)

# Site US Visitors

1. dallascowboys.com 394,822

2. philadelphiaeagles.com 220,581

3. chicagobears.com 214,025

4. packers.com 208,424

5. steelers.com 168,978

6. patriots.com 126,972

7. redskins.com 124,982

8. raiders.com 103,475

9. clevelandbrowns.com 99,126

10. colts.com 87,826

Admittedly it's 2003, but:

National poll ranks the Rams among most popular NFL teams

St. Louis Business Journal - November 21, 2003

The St. Louis Rams tied for the sixth most popular team in the National Football League in an annual Harris Poll released Friday.

The team, currently tied for first place in the National Football Conference Western Division, received 7 percent of the vote in the poll, conducted Oct. 21-27. In 2002, the Rams received 11 percent of the vote, the same year they lost in the Super Bowl to the New England Patriots.

The Rams tied with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the New York Giants.

The Dallas Cowboys and the Green Bay Packers tied for first in the poll, with both teams receiving 12 percent of the vote.

In previous years, the top teams garnered as much as 25 percent of the vote. Last season, for example, the Packers led the way with 17 percent.

Admittedly, the Packers may have dropped in the past couple of years - people like a winner. I'd bet the Colts and Bears are near the top this year.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

...in an annual Harris Poll released Friday.

Yeah right, like we're not going to think those guys aren't biased... <_<:P

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Why not use 'California Athletics' instead?

Because they don't represent all of California in baseball. They don't even represent all of California in the AL. They don't even represent their entire metropolitan area.

I don't post much, but this has to be one of the worst ideas in all of sports history.

Hope the A's are happy with the bastardization of one of the original American League franchises.

On the other hand, they're the first baseball team to call four different cities their home.

I have heard more than one columnist mention that they could use:

Golden State Athletics.

And, since the 49ers are possibly moving to Santa Clara:

Golden State 49ers.

Both teams already use various types of "Gold", so not much would need to change...other than the 49ers' "SF" logo.

Note: I MIGHT be back. I don't know; I'm thinking about it.

Hopefully the diehard A's fans do something about this. Maybe they'll listen. Between the new name and the new park, I don't like where this organization is headed.

Hopefully the diehard A's fans do something about this. Maybe they'll listen. Between the new name and the new park, I don't like where this organization is headed.

Wherever it's headed, for A's fans this is better than Las Vegas or Portland.

Can we officially declare the AL West the "joke shop" division of MLB when it comes to names?

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

(Enter city/regional title here) Athletics of Fremont

Texas Rangers of Arlington :P

Seattle Mariners of (oh hell, why not) Washington :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived