Wolff: Name change will include "A's of Fremont"

marlinfan

Oh geez.. simply say Fermont A's or whatever.. not that thing like the Angels did.. oy...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's too bad they can't just make the Oakland Coliseum work. They have great home-field advantage with those acres upon acres of foul ground. Did you see the Cisco mockup? There's like a Fenway-sized sliver on either side. This has been a team built on pitching rotations. Not as if reduced foul ground for half their games will change that, but it certainly doesn't help the cause.

Don't listen to him - he knows nothing. After all, he went to IUP.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If they do change their name it won't be until at least for 6 years, so I really don't see the need to freak out about this now.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Seattle Mariners of (oh hell, why not) Washington :P

Speaking of the Seattle area... it's pretty doubtful we will be seeing the Puget Sound Supersonics of Renton anytime soon, looks like the arena deal is bust.

I am excited about the moves further down towards my native San Jose, but am not looking forward to the names.

Paul

Gonzaga University

GO ZAGS!!!

sanjosesharks.gif

Here's hoping the new Congress outlaws the "[nickname] of [location]" formulation. I think that they would find massive bipartisan support for such a measure.

Please be sure to write your Congressman about this important issue. If the A's are allowed to use "of Fremont" in their name, the terrorists will have won.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Here's hoping the new Congress outlaws the "[nickname] of [location]" formulation. I think that they would find massive bipartisan support for such a measure.

Please be sure to write your Congressman about this important issue. If the A's are allowed to use "of Fremont" in their name, the terrorists will have won.

Are we sure he wasn't joking, poking fun at the rival Angels? I mean, he does know that the whole "x team of y" thing is like a total laughingstock, right?

Even on MLB.com, they use "LA Angels" in the team drop down menu. (The individual teams still use team names in the drop downs like they have since the LA/A switch, something that was noted -- and mocked -- in the many earlier threads about the Angels/Anaheim issue.)

Let's hope this doesn't happen. My fear is this will someday open it up to the "Microsoft Mariners of Seattle", the "Budweiser Cardinals of St. Louis" or the "Wrigley Cubs of Chicago" -- how backward is that?

Ugh :puke::vaderandluke:

I think the smiley puking on Darth Vader says it best.

As unpopular and awkward as it is, I can at least understand what bringing Los Angeles into the Angels' name is supposed to accomplish- it's supposed to broaden their appeal to a larger metropolitan area rather than a smaller suburb. Bringing Fremont into the name of the A's accomplishes NOTHING as far as broadening their marketing appeal. Plus, most people outside of NoCal have no idea where Fremont is.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Even on MLB.com, they use "LA Angels" in the team drop down menu. (The individual teams still use team names in the drop downs like they have since the LA/A switch, something that was noted -- and mocked -- in the many earlier threads about the Angels/Anaheim issue.)

Let's hope this doesn't happen. My fear is this will someday open it up to the "Microsoft Mariners of Seattle", the "Budweiser Cardinals of St. Louis" or the "Wrigley Cubs of Chicago" -- how backward is that?

or the Pacbell Giants of San Francisco, what about the Citigroup Mets of New York or...how bout the Internal Revenue Sevice Yankees of New York..?? :wacko:

I don't want to have to inform any congressman that the "terrorists" (ching-ching $$$) have won. :mad:

I have a novel idea, although it is 180 degrees from the direction Wolff wants to apparently take...

Why not just simply call the team "The Athletics"?

No geographical name. Just "The Athletics."

I swear once reading that the team, when it was in Philadelphia, was officially called "The Athletics." Never did the team include any reference to Philadelphia on its uniforms or caps while it was in Philly. It wasn't until the team was in Kansas City that they started including a geographical reference on their road unis and caps.

So, it would be a nod to tradition for the team to once again refer to itself as "The Athletics." Whenever TV or newspapers require an abbreviation, they could simply use "ATH" or "A's" instead of "OAK" or "FRE" or "SV" or whatever else the official location of the team would otherwise be.

I have a novel idea, although it is 180 degrees from the direction Wolff wants to apparently take...

I swear once reading that the team, when it was in Philadelphia, was officially called "The Athletics." Never did the team include any reference to Philadelphia on its uniforms or caps while it was in Philly. It wasn't until the team was in Kansas City that they started including a geographical reference on their road unis and caps.

So, it would be a nod to tradition for the team to once again refer to itself as "The Athletics." Whenever TV or newspapers require an abbreviation, they could simply use "ATH" or "A's" instead of "OAK" or "FRE" or "SV" or whatever else the official location of the team would otherwise be.

Because in North America, teams represent places.

Because in North America, teams represent places.

I didn't mean that the A's should become a nationalized franchise. The team would still represent the area in which it plays. I only meant that the specific naming of the team would leave off the geographical location.

BTW, I realize my idea sucks. ;-)

Is Fremont considered East Bay? Then they could be the East Bay A's. That has a good ring to it. They either have to keep "Oakland" and not mess with the name, or do something that is inclusive for Oakland and San Jose, I think.

Fremont is more like south bay if anything. dreadful is more like it. what happened to the plan to build at he adjacent swap meet next to the coliseum?

this is just retarded.

stay the oakland a's.

the dallas cowboys aren't the irving cowboys, nor are they the soon to be arlington cowboys.

or are all these bay area cities just so far away, in comparison to DFW?

Archived