Underwater Heaven Flag Concept

Jahgee

Hello, I have an english project where I have to design a flag for our class made utopia and our colors were cyan, lime and black (guess who picked the colors :P ) and our symbol has circles, so here is the flag

UnderwaterHeavenFlag.jpg

Signature.png

TrophyCase-1.png

I have an english project where I have to design a flag

Declining American youth literacy levels. I finds out why.

But just to be super cereal for a minute. Vexillology (the study of flags) relies very heavily upon semiotics, symbology, the study of heraldry and historical visual meaning and metaphors.

Now I'm not your teacher and I didn't set you this assignment, but I would expect (especially within the context of an English assignment) that he/she would expect you to be able to verbally justify the design choices you have made.

In essence, flags heave meaning, so what does yours mean.

This might be of use. I think someone on the board posted these recently. They are Japanese Municipality flags. All very modern and with quite well explained symbols within them. To me they all seem quite sci-fi and utopian in feel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_municipal_flags

This is going to sound really mean... but this is horrendous.

Stop and think for a minute. When was the last time you saw a flag that had gradients? Or this many objects on it? You haven't designed a flag. I don't know what you really have done here, but a flag this is not.

Check out this publication from the North American Vexillological Association: Good Flag, Bad Flag. Read it and give this another shot.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Am I high right now? Am I ... dead? Is this real life?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I'm not even joking but, my teacher said I would get an 100 if I came up with a good writeup, she loved it!!! I'm dead mother :censored:ing serious

Signature.png

TrophyCase-1.png

The green stands for conservation, the black stands for power, and the blue stands for ocean.

The circles stand for bubbles

Our world is underwater in a bubble and our people filter feed

Signature.png

TrophyCase-1.png

I guess i shouldn't be that surprised, with how english classes are, especially when it comes to projects. to the untrained eye, it looks like that took a lot of effort, so an english teacher is going to love it. seriously though, that would never work as a real flag. As long as you understand that, and understand why, I think we can all handle it

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I guess i shouldn't be that surprised, with how english classes are, especially when it comes to projects. to the untrained eye, it looks like that took a lot of effort, so an english teacher is going to love it. seriously though, that would never work as a real flag. As long as you understand that, and understand why, I think we can all handle it

Yes, I do understand that

But, It took only 3 steps

Signature.png

TrophyCase-1.png

But just to be super cereal for a minute. Vexillology (the study of flags) relies very heavily upon semiotics, symbology, the study of heraldry and historical visual meaning and metaphors.

Now I'm not your teacher and I didn't set you this assignment, but I would expect (especially within the context of an English assignment) that he/she would expect you to be able to verbally justify the design choices you have made.

In essence, flags heave meaning, so what does yours mean.

This might be of use. I think someone on the board posted these recently. They are Japanese Municipality flags. All very modern and with quite well explained symbols within them. To me they all seem quite sci-fi and utopian in feel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_municipal_flags

Well it was a group project and I also had to write a national anthem

Signature.png

TrophyCase-1.png

Well it was a group project and I also had to write a national anthem

Crap, unintentional quadruple post

Signature.png

TrophyCase-1.png

Yeah I'm with Davidson on this one. This seems rather meaningless/arbitrary. Nothing, from a vexillological perspective, seems to make sense.

Never mind that the pattern itself would never work as a flag, practically speaking.

Holy shnikes, try stitching that to a World Baseball Classic uniform.

It looks like you put some good effort into it, and if you got the good grade then kudos to you and great job. Having said that, I'll echo everyone here and say that really, from a design standpoint, it's rather odd. I get the whole bubbles thing, but it looks more like a shirt from the George Harrison collection.

What if you were to make the colors solid (no gradients), still have your bubbles/circles, but make like a Venn Diagram pattern, having each circle represent something coming together? It still gets the sane idea across, but would have much more meaning.

Also, I don't mean to echo the Grandpa-conspiracy-theorist-overthinker that we all have (I'm mostly talking about mine :P), but if you're an underwater utopia...what's the point of having a flag? I know it's just an English assignment and all, but to me at least, that makes just about as much sense as "60% of the time, it works everytime".

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Archived