2014 NCAA Football Thread

Chicageaux

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Louisville vs Georgia in the Belk Bowl looks like a very interesting matchup especially with Grantham facing his old employer. :bonk:

What is a Belk Bowl?

Probably doesn't matter because he'd see Louisville vs Incarnate Word to be an interesting matchup.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Louisville vs Georgia in the Belk Bowl looks like a very interesting matchup especially with Grantham facing his old employer. :bonk:

What is a Belk Bowl?

Probably doesn't matter because he'd see Louisville vs Incarnate Word to be an interesting matchup.

With two whole conference wins their first full year in FCS, I'd say they're a program on the rise, so... :P

Sure, if you find Louisville getting their asses kicked interesting.

I'm sold!

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Six teams seems ideal. It leaves out the discussion of a team like Michigan State, and presents us with 6 very good teams. The CFB playoffs could be run like just how the NFL does their's.

Sorry... the notion of six teams being ideal is asinine. 6 team. How do you determine who gets the byes? So you just introduce MORE subjectivity into an already completely subjective process? Not sure how someone can type 6 teams is ideal for a tournament unless its a round robin and you split it up and put 2 groups of 3. Six teams. Killin' me.

TCU dropping from 3 to 6, idk, that doesn't sit right with me. This shows that the committee really put stock into the co-champ vs outright champ thing, and, all of a sudden, head to head finally mattered. Just, idk, that doesn't hold water for me.

I think they put more stock in the additional game. When all the SoS and SoR and all the other metrics are so similar between Ohio State, Baylor, and TCU... I think they look at it as Ohio State had 1 more change to lose, 1 more chance to get hurt, 1 more chance for something to go completely awry.

I think anyone would rather take a slightly harder 12 game schedule and a slightly easier 13 game schedule.

Six teams seems ideal. It leaves out the discussion of a team like Michigan State, and presents us with 6 very good teams. The CFB playoffs could be run like just how the NFL does their's.

Sorry... the notion of six teams being ideal is asinine. 6 team. How do you determine who gets the byes? So you just introduce MORE subjectivity into an already completely subjective process? Not sure how someone can type 6 teams is ideal for a tournament unless its a round robin and you split it up and put 2 groups of 3. Six teams. Killin' me.

I don't see what's so idiotic about having 6. Determing who gets a bye shouldn't be too difficult. Oregon and Alabama would've easily gotten byes this year.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I don't see what's so idiotic about having 6. Determing who gets a bye shouldn't be too difficult. Oregon and Alabama would've easily gotten byes this year.

But the undefeated, defending National Champion, with their returning Heisman Trophy QB, from a Major 5 Conference shouldn't get a bye?

Yeah... that's pretty asinine. Sounds even more asinine when I have to actually type the whole thing out.

But the undefeated, defending National Champion, with their returning Heisman Trophy QB, from a Major 5 Conference shouldn't get a bye?

Yeah... that's pretty asinine. Sounds even more asinine when I have to actually type the whole thing out.

If you think it's so asinine, then explain to me why FSU is ranked number 3 right now. Maybe they could have seeding rules by best record. It could work if you think about it and don't straight up call people's ideas stupid.

If you think it's so asinine, then explain to me why FSU is ranked number 3 right now. Maybe they could have seeding rules by best record. It could work if you think about it and don't straight up call people's ideas stupid.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I didn't say it was stupid... said it was asinine. Florida State being left out of the 4 Team Playoff would have been just as asinine.

The idea of having FSU not getting a buy, I think, is absolutely crazy... for all the aforementioned reasons. You may say they didn't have a strong SoS, that they just narrowly escaped defeat week in and week out, but they won. And as EVERYONE has said... a win is a win is a win, and the only thing that matters is winning. FSU may actually be the 3rd best team in the country, but having them win a play-in game isn't fair, in my opinion. I don't know how you can possibly justify it over two 1-loss teams. Ranking them #3 or #4 is NOT asinine because the playoff games are held on "neutral" sites.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't mean those posts to sound like I was attacking. It was more of like a tongue in cheek. I do think its an asinine idea to have 6 team, just based a logic... but I didn't mean it to sound like I was treating you like a 4th grade kid or something.

It's just that the byes themselves would be pretty controversial, so it's not a perfect system. Four teams is perfect... It's the committee that's the issue.

4 is inherently imperfect. You have 5 major conferences. Therefore, it's imperfect.

...not including, at the very least, a chunk of decent mid-major schools.

It's just that the byes themselves would be pretty controversial, so it's not a perfect system. Four teams is perfect... It's the committee that's the issue.

4 is inherently imperfect. You have 5 major conferences. Therefore, it's imperfect.

Imperfect if you think every conference winner needs to get in. I don't. I want the four best teams, and I definetely don't need mid-majors. If they're good enough, then fine. But I don't see why Boise State should be thrown in just because. As far as excitement and making sure the best team is crowned, I think four is perfect.

IUe6Hvh.png

Sure, if you find Louisville getting their asses kicked interesting.

I'm sold!

The same thing has been said about the Sugar Bowl 2 seasons ago against Florida (and Louisville won that game BTW), so don't think the Cards will get their butts kicked that easily.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Imperfect if you think every conference winner needs to get in. I don't. I want the four best teams, and I definetely don't need mid-majors. If they're good enough, then fine. But I don't see why Boise State should be thrown in just because. As far as excitement and making sure the best team is crowned, I think four is perfect.

Boise State isn't in this year's discussion. If you are going to have 5 major conferences, then you need to have minimum of 5 playoff slots. 6 is unwieldy, 8 is the ideal number, in the current situation. If there were 4 conference of 16, then I'm good with 4 and the conference champs make it in.

The first year of the CFP is the perfect example as to why 4 teams is imperfect. Think if Notre Dame would have went undefeated or only lost to FSU, they would be in the discussion. Think if Boise State scheduled a heavy non-conference schedule with like USC, Georgia, and Wisconsin. Then I would say you can make a case for Boise State or other Mid-Major.

8 eliminates the discussion of weather a 1 loss team more deserving of an undefeated. Or if a 2 loss is more deserving than a 1 loss. You can put the Conference Champs in, seating is based on conference head to heads, and then its 3 teams from the best of the rest. You can get your 2nd SEC team in, you can have Baylor and TCU.

FCS gives 8 teams a bye without much controversy. The only problem is, it was only down to 6 main teams THIS YEAR. Next year, there could only be 5 teams in the discussion, the next year maybe only 4, then maybe 7. I've grown to like the 4-team playoff, and even though it'd be cool to see 6-8 teams, this is definitely exciting enough for now.

Boise State isn't in this year's discussion. If you are going to have 5 major conferences, then you need to have minimum of 5 playoff slots. 6 is unwieldy, 8 is the ideal number, in the current situation. If there were 4 conference of 16, then I'm good with 4 and the conference champs make it in.

The first year of the CFP is the perfect example as to why 4 teams is imperfect. Think if Notre Dame would have went undefeated or only lost to FSU, they would be in the discussion. Think if Boise State scheduled a heavy non-conference schedule with like USC, Georgia, and Wisconsin. Then I would say you can make a case for Boise State or other Mid-Major.

8 eliminates the discussion of weather a 1 loss team more deserving of an undefeated. Or if a 2 loss is more deserving than a 1 loss. You can put the Conference Champs in, seating is based on conference head to heads, and then its 3 teams from the best of the rest. You can get your 2nd SEC team in, you can have Baylor and TCU.

No it doesn't. Eight teams just moves that discussion back a few rankings. You'll be arguing the about if a two or three loss Big 5 team is more deserve than a one-loss mid-major. And you can say who cares because those teams have flimsier arguments but when you're talking about a chance to play for a championship, it matters and there will be controversy.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived