Tweaking the Miami Dolphins set

aawagner011

Here is a revised Miami Dolphins set. I found inspiration from Kochak's Dolphins concept and fell in love with the colors. While the colors aren't exact, I would be remiss to not mention the inspiration for the colors. Key aspects of the tweaks:

-Increased presence of orange.

-Overall equal distribution of colors.

-Softer blue gives impression of old stripe patterns because it breaks up the darker aqua and orange stripes but brings a modern edge to distinguish it.

-Reintroduction of orange jersey.

-All white socks. White looks great in the Florida sun and allows the other colors to pop. Same stripe pattern found on the socks.

2ykj2p2.png

16c2tew.png

e8lop3.png

2dtyst1.png

dcy3yc.png

The aqua trim is too desaturated. I feel like the aqua should look like the aqua from the aforementioned Kochak's concept.

But I appreciate the different direction you went with the Dolphins, even though I don't necessarily think that blue is the way they should go to for their primary color.

MiamiDolphinsStriping-1_zpsb1620a41.png

I think the main issue here, is you're switching the aqua and blue in your mind.. you said went with a softer blue, but actually you went with a softer aqua.. I love the orange jerseys and I'm a fan of the white masks, but I like the new striping pattern Nike gave them IF you can increase the presence of orange, like you've tried to do here.. I'd say you're close in execution and spot on in intention, but I'd go a slightly different direction on striping and the aqua/blue issue.. overall, nice work though.

Ok, trying a color update. I initially went with a new color scheme of the following:

1) a brighter aqua (jersey, numbers, pants color)

2) a soft powder blue (thin number and stripe outline)

3) orange

Here is a revision with the following color palette:

1) current Dolphins 2013-present aqua

2) a soft powder blue (though ever so slightly darker than the previous version)

3) orange

I made the new powder blue darker to give it a touch of brightness that this revision will lack since it reverts back to the current aqua.

Last note before I post the concept updates- the current Dolphins aqua definitely changes appearance based upon lighting and application. Sometimes it appears almost powder blue and sometimes like the classic aqua from the old days. Occasionally it has a shade in between the bright and old aqua, which strikes the right balance, in my opinion.

Ok, here is the update:

2lm2ukk.png

2q096yw.png

o243t.png

igbtrr.png

1zlx3zb.png

I thought the initial new color palette worked just fine. In fact the major sticking point with the Dolphins new uniforms went unaltered, terrible number font. Nike came up with this weird design which has one rounded corner and all the others sharp. It looks terribly lopsided. They'd be better either making all the corners round or none at all.

I also still think aqua topped socks (with stripes of course) would fit better on the aqua jersey/white pants set. As they rarely wear that combo it could be a welcome break from the otherwise all white look.

I agree with the Steamroller, i thought the first color palette was very good and still carried a vintage Dolphins vibe. Either one is good though but i really suggest another number font. A classic block would be fine. That current font is one of the worst things ive ever seen on a football uniform

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Thank you for all the feedback, everyone.

After looking back at it, I still love those first set's colors and it still reads as the Dolphins... in my eyes. I also think the current Dolphins occasionally appear that shade in certain lighting (see my post above about that). I think a team based in Miami needs bright, vibrant colors and I love the way they play off of the stark contrast with the all white.

The new update comes across as more traditional, but in concept form, it looks a little more stale and bland. Nothing about the design I made is revolutionary; in fact it is fairly basic. I guess my initial concept came from really liking that color palette.

I might be rambling here but if anyone's got thoughts or input, I am interested. Thanks again.

I actually think the second one is better. It's more greenish than blue which I always believed the aqua to be. I disagree with BrandMoore. A block font would probably clash with the uniform. I think as with the colors and logo, the numbers should be a little softer, rounder, more modern. The secondary blue (power) is throwing things off. All the colors together are too soft and may not go really well togther. I'd suggest silver with a bit of a hint of blue.

How about an Aqua facemask?

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

I'm not a fan of the powder blue.. I'd go with the truer aqua and mix between their current blue and a turquoise to add a deeper tone to it.. try it out with their current striping pattern, moving aqua to the middle, but cut down on the blue and strengthen the presence of orange.. I think you basically just recreated hybrid of the 97-2012 set with new logos and fonts imo.. you'll never please everyone, but I'm actually a big fan of the rebrand, except for the minimal use of orange.. but that's just me

Archived