2015 NCAA Football Thread

DarkJourney

Notre Dame is criminally high, like they always are. No way that team beats anyone else in the top 10.

Their only loss was at now #1 Clemson by two points in Kizer's third game, racking up over 100 more yards than Clemson. They also only lost by two points even though they committed three more turnovers. I think they're a pretty good team.

So, Notre Dame's best win is a loss? I have a hard time justifying that as enough merit to be ranked in the Top 4. I'm not saying Clemson or Ohio State can make a better case, but I am getting a little bit tired of the Fightin' Irish bias.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Notre Dame is criminally high, like they always are. No way that team beats anyone else in the top 10.

Their only loss was at now #1 Clemson by two points in Kizer's third game, racking up over 100 more yards than Clemson. They also only lost by two points even though they committed three more turnovers. I think they're a pretty good team.

So, Notre Dame's best win is a loss? I have a hard time justifying that as enough merit to be ranked in the Top 4. I'm not saying Clemson or Ohio State can make a better case, but I am getting a little bit tired of the Fightin' Irish bias.

They've played a better schedule than Brutus has to this point....

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

They played the clear number 1 team to an almost completely even game on the road, and beat a very tough temple team, also on the road. They've played a really tough schedule and preformed well at it. You may hate Notre Dame (who doesn't?) but they actually deserve their hype this year. Though honestly I'd put them at 5 and Iowa at 4, but that's just my opinion, you could easily swap them.

They played the clear number 1 team to an almost completely even game on the road, and beat a very tough temple team, also on the road. They've played a really tough schedule and preformed well at it. You may hate Notre Dame (who doesn't?) but they actually deserve their hype this year. Though honestly I'd put them at 5 and Iowa at 4, but that's just my opinion, you could easily swap them.
Blah blah meh...

Nobody cares what your rankings are, Skippy.

So, this loaded schedule includes a sub-500 Texas, a TERRIBLE 3-win Georgia Tech, a 3-loss USC team (in an overrated conference)... really their best wins are over UMass, Temple, and Navy, who were/are all severely overrated, just because they were undefeated at the time. Other than that, they played Clemson competitively, in a monsoon... which is NO measure of the talent of a team. When conditions are that poor, its just a wash.

Again, I have a hard time believing ND's schedule is as big of a gauntlet as everyone is trying to say it is. They are also playing in the pseudo-ACC which is probably the worst football conference of the power 5. Hell, I'll go ahead and say their best win is against a 3-loss USC team and their second best win is a loss against Clemson.

Their biggest test will come in the last week of the season from Standford, who got blown out by a middle of the pack Big 10 team in Northwestern. Again, I'm not saying Clemson or Ohio State, or for that matter, Iowa or Baylor, have a better case for being in the Top 4, but Notre Dame is in the Top 4 because of the ND bias.

I'm sorry, on paper ND's schedule looked great from a historical perspective. But when you look at the teams and how they are playing... there isn't much there.

Who IS worthy to be in the top four in your mind? Seems like noone is worthy. Lemme guess... Bama?

Clemson & Ohio State - I think Clemson and Ohio State are both legitimate... Ohio State not because they have rolled everyone, but because they are the undefeated, defending National Champions... and they pretty much brought EVERYONE back except for one or two WRs.

Alabama - I think they are legit... have they ever NOT been legit under Saban? I think Ole Miss is just one of those match ups that does them in recently. Not saying Ole Miss is a better team... but I think they are THAT type of match up for Alabama.

Baylor - I think what Baylor has done the last few years should be recognized. I do think the Big XII gets penalized because the traditional powers aren't playing that great in recent years... but I also don't think its the most consistent conference either. They are top and bottom heavy.

Iowa - Complete joke. I pray they don't make the Playoff... they will get their doors blown off. Iowa does this once every decade. They have a great year and it saves Kirk Ferences job for another 7 or 8 years.

After that, I think you can start to lump in the Oklahoma State, Notre Dame, Standford, LSU, Michigan State, etc. teams. I'm not saying Notre Dame isn't a good team... I'm just saying they get a huge boost because they are a legendary team. They seem to get the benefit of the doubt at every turn, every week, every year.

Baylor - I think what Baylor has done the last few years should be recognized. I do think the Big XII gets penalized because the traditional powers aren't playing that great in recent years... but I also don't think its the most consistent conference either. They are top and bottom heavy.

At this point, Baylor hasn't played anybody. Now, they've got a 3 week run against the Oklahomas and TCU before ending at Texas, but right now their best win is *checks league standings* Texas Tech (?). Calling Baylor's schedule to this point "soft" is an understatement.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Blah blah meh...

Nobody cares what your rankings are, Skippy.

Sorry, didn't know opinions were against the rules here, next time I'll just say they're all "great teams who may or may not deserve the ranking that he/she thinks they should get" so that nobody get angered.

So, this loaded schedule includes a sub-500 Texas, a TERRIBLE 3-win Georgia Tech, a 3-loss USC team (in an overrated conference)... really their best wins are over UMass, Temple, and Navy, who were/are all severely overrated, just because they were undefeated at the time. Other than that, they played Clemson competitively, in a monsoon... which is NO measure of the talent of a team. When conditions are that poor, its just a wash.

Again, I have a hard time believing ND's schedule is as big of a gauntlet as everyone is trying to say it is. They are also playing in the pseudo-ACC which is probably the worst football conference of the power 5. Hell, I'll go ahead and say their best win is against a 3-loss USC team and their second best win is a loss against Clemson.

Their biggest test will come in the last week of the season from Standford, who got blown out by a middle of the pack Big 10 team in Northwestern. Again, I'm not saying Clemson or Ohio State, or for that matter, Iowa or Baylor, have a better case for being in the Top 4, but Notre Dame is in the Top 4 because of the ND bias.

I'm sorry, on paper ND's schedule looked great from a historical perspective. But when you look at the teams and how they are playing... there isn't much there.

USC, Temple, Navy, and Pitt are all good wins against teams that are going to some pretty good bowl games this year (potentially new years 6 bowls). Stanford is going to win the pac-12 barring an upset from utah, so if they beat them that's another great win. But predictions aside, if you think ND hasn't beaten anyone, who the hell has Ohio State beaten? Penn State? Who LOST to the Temple team that ND beat (not just lost, but got demolished by)? I'd argue Ohio State deserves the top 4 about as much as Baylor does. And for the record, Notre Dame has the 5th toughest schedule in the country

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

USC, Temple, Navy, and Pitt are all good wins against teams that are going to some pretty good bowl games this year (potentially new years 6 bowls). Stanford is going to win the pac-12 barring an upset from utah, so if they beat them that's another great win. But predictions aside, if you think ND hasn't beaten anyone, who the hell has Ohio State beaten? Penn State? Who LOST to the Temple team that ND beat (not just lost, but got demolished by)? I'd argue Ohio State deserves the top 4 about as much as Baylor does. And for the record, Notre Dame has the 5th toughest schedule in the country

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

Again, I never said Ohio State can make a better case. I admit they are getting the benefit of the doubt because they are an undefeated team, in a power 5 conference, defending National Champs, and basically returned everyone.

I doubt a 3-loss team will make a New Years 6 bowl (USC). If you are going to play the logic game and call Pitt a quality team, they lost to an Iowa team, who, by all accounts are one of the most overrated teams in the last... 5-10 years? You can take the 1 step further with Virginia Tech getting whooped by tOSU, and then later going on to beat Georgia Tech... who is considered another "quality" team on ND's schedule.

The only reasons teams like UMass, Navy and Temple are ranked this year is because they were undefeated mid-late season, when a lot of other teams got early losses and knocked them farther down in the rankings.

Again, HISTORICALLY, ND's schedule this year would have been strong... but GT, USC, Texas are all having bad/terrible seasons. Again, they are hanging their hats on a loss to Clemson and wins against Navy and Temple? Again, its not their fault... but to say they have a top 10 hardest SOS or are running an absolute gauntlet is grossly overstated.

Again... not saying Ohio State or Clemson can make a better case with SOS... but the debate is the pompous ND bias that still is prevalent in major college football.

Temple and Navy are overrated? Both only have losses to ND and are barely in the Top 25 to begin with,

Also, losing by 10 points on the road is a blowout? Even so it was week 1, when Stanford wasn't exactly in as good of form as they're in now.

If Notre Dame isn't a Top 4 team, then how is Ohio State? The Buckeyes have constantly struggled with mediocre Big Ten teams like Indiana, Minnesota, and even to non-conference teams like Northern Illinois. They're doing exactly what Florida State did last year. You saying ND is Top 4 because ND bias is laughable.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Who IS worthy to be in the top four in your mind? Seems like noone is worthy. Lemme guess... Bama?

Clemson & Ohio State - I think Clemson and Ohio State are both legitimate... Ohio State not because they have rolled everyone, but because they are the undefeated, defending National Champions... and they pretty much brought EVERYONE back except for one or two WRs.

Alabama - I think they are legit... have they ever NOT been legit under Saban? I think Ole Miss is just one of those match ups that does them in recently. Not saying Ole Miss is a better team... but I think they are THAT type of match up for Alabama.

Iowa - Complete joke. I pray they don't make the Playoff... they will get their doors blown off. Iowa does this once every decade. They have a great year and it saves Kirk Ferences job for another 7 or 8 years.

After that, I think you can start to lump in the Oklahoma State, Notre Dame, Standford, LSU, Michigan State, etc. teams. I'm not saying Notre Dame isn't a good team... I'm just saying they get a huge boost because they are a legendary team. They seem to get the benefit of the doubt at every turn, every week, every year.

First off, whatever happened in 2014 or before has no bearing on the playoff rankings. Anyone who believes "defending champ" or "previous track record" plays a part in the playoff rankings is dumb.

Secondly, these playoff rankings, just like the BCS rankings worked, are based off what's been played to date....not what could happen or might happen in the future. Remember what happened last year? TCU, ranked #3 in the previous rankings, won their final game by 50 points....and fell to #6 in the next week's (and final week's) playoff rankings.

Thirdly, don't just focus on a team's schedule. Focus on their opponents' schedules. Ohio State (or Michigan State) needs Iowa to keep winning. Stanford needs Notre Dame and the Pac-12 South champ to have as few losses as possible. So on and so forth.

Again, I never said Ohio State can make a better case. I admit they are getting the benefit of the doubt because they are an undefeated team, in a power 5 conference, defending National Champs, and basically returned everyone.

I doubt a 3-loss team will make a New Years 6 bowl (USC). If you are going to play the logic game and call Pitt a quality team, they lost to an Iowa team, who, by all accounts are one of the most overrated teams in the last... 5-10 years? You can take the 1 step further with Virginia Tech getting whooped by tOSU, and then later going on to beat Georgia Tech... who is considered another "quality" team on ND's schedule.

The only reasons teams like UMass, Navy and Temple are ranked this year is because they were undefeated mid-late season, when a lot of other teams got early losses and knocked them farther down in the rankings.

Again, HISTORICALLY, ND's schedule this year would have been strong... but GT, USC, Texas are all having bad/terrible seasons. Again, they are hanging their hats on a loss to Clemson and wins against Navy and Temple? Again, its not their fault... but to say they have a top 10 hardest SOS or are running an absolute gauntlet is grossly overstated.

Again... not saying Ohio State or Clemson can make a better case with SOS... but the debate is the pompous ND bias that still is prevalent in major college football.

If Ohio or Clemson can't make a better case with SOS, then why shouldn't notre dame be in the top 4?

SOS is all kind of a crapshoot anyway. Now you can schedule a team that's good now 10 years down the road, and if they suck when you play them, it's just another game.

Notre Dame doesn't have to play by the same rules as the others. Of course the strength of schedule is going to be good when you can schedule the majority of your games. Clemson is forced to play the Syracuses and OSU has to play the Illinoises. ND has to play five ACC teams, with at least one of them being a road test yes, but that still leaves 7 games to bulk up the schedule further while the others have at best 3 games to get strong opponents, and that's if they feel extremely confident.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Yeah I'm sorry, but there isn't a SINGLE team in that top ten that Notre Dame would beat. It's unbelievable that they're ahead of any undefeated teams, let alone 2 or 3.

spacer.png

On 11/19/2012 at 7:23 PM, oldschoolvikings said:
She’s still half convinced “Chris Creamer” is a porn site.)

SOS is all kind of a crapshoot anyway. Now you can schedule a team that's good now 10 years down the road, and if they suck when you play them, it's just another game.

Notre Dame doesn't have to play by the same rules as the others. Of course the strength of schedule is going to be good when you can schedule the majority of your games. Clemson is forced to play the Syracuses and OSU has to play the Illinoises. ND has to play five ACC teams, with at least one of them being a road test yes, but that still leaves 7 games to bulk up the schedule further while the others have at best 3 games to get strong opponents, and that's if they feel extremely confident.

So because their strength of schedule is good they should be punished? Teams in conferences have 3-4 games to schedule whoever the hell they want, if they wanted to they could schedule a bunch of top teams. But they don't, they play teams like missouri state and whatnot. The notion that notre dame should be treated negatively because they played a better schedule is ludicrous. Whatever notre dame has done in the past is irrelevent, the fact is this year they've beaten good teams and have the best loss in college football by far. That deserves a top 4.

Yeah I'm sorry, but there isn't a SINGLE team in that top ten that Notre Dame would beat. It's unbelievable that they're ahead of any undefeated teams, let alone 2 or 3.

You're telling me the team that came within a missed two point conversion of clemson couldn't beat any team in the top 10?

Rumor has it that Lane Kiffin interviewed for the Maryland coaching job.

Not sure how I feel about this

Spending the last two seasons under Nick Saban couldn't have hurt Kiffin or his coaching career.

Kiffin was probably in over his head at Oakland. He ruffled too many feathers at Tennessee in one year (even though he left on his own accord), and he wasn't playing with a full deck at Southern Cal. By all accounts, he's been a "good soldier" at Alabama. Dude can sell himself and recruiting was never an issue with him.

Archived