Question for Columbus Residents

OffCenteredScoreboard

Which teams are more popular in Columbus, Cleveland based teams or Cincinnati based teams? like for baseball do you see more Indians gear or Reds gear? for football do you see more Bengals or Browns? And do you know of any people liking lets say the Reds for baseball and the Browns for football or vice versa.

For me, it's Indians and Bengals. Although I'm not living there right now, I'm from there. The reason behind Columbus with the Tribe is because of the fact that the AAA affiliate plays there, and personally don't like the Browns. I was expecting you to troll the CBJ fans for last night.

That's what- She

For me, it's Indians and Bengals. Although I'm not living there right now, I'm from there. The reason behind Columbus with the Tribe is because of the fact that the AAA affiliate plays there, and personally don't like the Browns. I was expecting you to troll the CBJ fans for last night.

im not big on trolling fans after a loss. Jackets remind me of the Islanders really. both teams make the playoffs, lose a hard fought series against pittsburgh and then have a down year. i expect the jackets to make the playoffs next year.

I'd say a majority of people are Browns and Indians fans. Like 60-40 to Bengals/Reds fans. When the Bengals and Browns are playing two different teams and their games would air at the same time the TV station usually chooses to air the Browns game over the Bengals game. Unless the Bengals are having a far and away better season.

Among older Columbus residents there are a lot of people who are Reds and Browns fans. This is because Columbus got healthy doses of Big Red Machine coverage in the 70's and 700 WLW had a strong radio signal in Columbus. Plus the Reds were just really really good. The Browns are the historically more prestigious team to the Bengals and at that time there was a heritage associated with them passed down from their parents that the Bengals didn't have so the Browns took more fans from the middle of the state. These rooting habits were passed down and I went to school with a lot of kids who were friends in the spring with the Reds and enemies in the fall with the Browns.

There are very few people who are Bengals/Indians fans. I have never met anyone who is that way

Growing up a Reds fan in Columbus in the 90's wasn't fun when all of my friends were Indians and the Indians were wining everything except World Series back then.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'd say a majority of people are Browns and Indians fans. Like 60-40 to Bengals/Reds fans. When the Bengals and Browns are playing two different teams and their games would air at the same time the TV station usually chooses to air the Browns game over the Bengals game. Unless the Bengals are having a far and away better season.

Among older Columbus residents there are a lot of people who are Reds and Browns fans. This is because Columbus got healthy doses of Big Red Machine coverage in the 70's and 700 WLW had a strong radio signal in Columbus. Plus the Reds were just really really good. The Browns are the historically more prestigious team to the Bengals and at that time there was a heritage associated with them passed down from their parents that the Bengals didn't have so the Browns took more fans from the middle of the state. These rooting habits were passed down and I went to school with a lot of kids who were friends in the spring with the Reds and enemies in the fall with the Browns.

There are very few people who are Bengals/Indians fans. I have never met anyone who is that way

Growing up a Reds fan in Columbus in the 90's wasn't fun when all of my friends were Indians and the Indians were wining everything except World Series back then.

WLW has a strong signal period. I used to listen to Reds games on WLW when I was living in Syracuse. (radio geek alert) WLW is a 50,000 watt "clear channel" station. Basically that means it has a monster signal. Anyway, I was always under the impression that Columbus was much more of a Reds town. It's interesting that it leans more towards the Indians.

BB52Big.jpg

I haven't lived in Columbus since 90, but when I was a kid it seemed like a lot of my friends were Reds/Browns fans. (This would be late 70's to early 80's, when the Indians were pretty much a non-entity.) I haven't really been back much in the past 20 years, but it seems like when I do the Indians have pretty much replaced the Reds, in terms of popularity.

When I was 7 I was annoyed at the notion that I should have to root for any of those teams, since I wasn't from either city, so I picked my favorite team based mostly on their colors (purple) their helmet (awesome) and to irritate my brother (bonus!).

Here in Columbus, I d say 60-40 Cleveland is probably accurate. Although, Ive seen more Bengals gear lately probably because of the success they've had over the last decade which on some level bothers me. I've been a Bengals fan since I was 10 and have the scars and the Akili Smith Jersey to prove it.

I've always Been a Reds fan since my great grandmother told me to shut up because Marty and Joe were on the radio. I also liked the Bengals because I saw their uniform in a JC Penny catalogue or something like that and was elated to learn they were from Cincinnati too.

Archived