mbannon92

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the identity you've assembled for the Clippers. You've not only differentiated them from the other r/w/b teams, but you've also grounded the color scheme in the franchise's/city's history and used an appropriate font for all of the nautical imagery (I really like the way the "L" underlines the letters next to it in both wordmarks). The only recommendations I have would be to reverse the coloration of the script and numbers on the blue uniform, but that's neither here nor there. Well done!

That Clippers set is incredible. Although I do think the i in the logo looks a little awkward, I really like the identity that has been lacking in their recent history, and that you chose powder blue over royal (Clippers execution of red white and blue has always seemed off to me for some reason).

Thanks for the compliments, everyone.

SFGiants, I can see where you're coming from on the coloration of the blue uniform, but I wanted to match the old Stars jerseys. And the way it is now, the coloration matches the white jersey as opposed to the red (just with blue and white swapped). I see it more as a light jersey that could be worn at home, so I feel that it works.

I'm not a big fan of how the basketball is colored in the secondary logo, and the water in the primary looks really fake. I really like that font though and I think the uniforms look great

What would you rather see with the basketball in the secondary logo? Out of curiosity. Alternating panels is a classic basketball design, and it gets white and blue both into the logo. Also, what do you mean the water looks fake? I was going for abstract, so it's not supposed to look real.

These concepts are really nice! Can't wait for the Pelicans!!

Wasn't planning on doing the Pelicans. Their uniforms are pretty solid. Maybe I'll get to them at some point.

I'm not a big fan of how the basketball is colored in the secondary logo, and the water in the primary looks really fake. I really like that font though and I think the uniforms look great

What would you rather see with the basketball in the secondary logo? Out of curiosity. Alternating panels is a classic basketball design, and it gets white and blue both into the logo. Also, what do you mean the water looks fake? I was going for abstract, so it's not supposed to look real.

Thanks for replying to my feedback.

For my first remark concerning the secondary logo, I misunderstood your perspective of it for whatever reason. So just ignore that.

As for the primary, when I said it looked fake, to me it didn't really look like water. I get that you want an abstract depiction of the water, but (for me at least) the abstract design you chose did not convey the concept of water. I'm sorry that I don't have a real suggestion for fixing that, because otherwise you would probably just have some waves, and that would make the logo look cartoony.

Thanks for replying to my feedback.

For my first remark concerning the secondary logo, I misunderstood your perspective of it for whatever reason. So just ignore that.

As for the primary, when I said it looked fake, to me it didn't really look like water. I get that you want an abstract depiction of the water, but (for me at least) the abstract design you chose did not convey the concept of water. I'm sorry that I don't have a real suggestion for fixing that, because otherwise you would probably just have some waves, and that would make the logo look cartoony.

Thanks for replying to my reply haha.

No worries on the secondary logo.

Regarding the water, I definitely considered going with something more organic, but I thought it would clash with the angular text and the ship wheel. Something organic/realistic would probably work great with the current script wordmarks, but here I'm not so sure. Maybe I'll go back and play with it a little and see how it looks.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I did a Clippers concept a couple years back that was an update of their original logo, making it look more like an actual clipper ship. But with the recent leaks of their new, cringeworthy identity, and the opinion of several members that ship imagery isn't the way to go, I decided to go back and take a different direction.

I struck a middle ground on the colors, going with the current red and the powder blue used by the LA Stars of the ABA. For the primary logo I went with a ship wheel with arched "Los Angeles" and "Clippers" scripts and an abstract ocean beneath it, filling the bottom half of the wheel. The secondary is just the ship wheel, with the interior forming a basketball with alternating white and powder blue panels. I also created an "LAC" logo, which resembles the new leaked mark more than the current. This is the one part of the identity I'm not sure about, so if anyone has suggestions speak up!

I chose Brothers for the wordmark...I know this font has become slightly overused, but I felt that it really fit well with the nautical theme. Also, it's a good font, so it's not a bad thing that it's popular IMO. The elongated Ls are an homage to the LA Stars, whose "Los Angeles" wordmark had a similar look. I think it adds some nice character to the otherwise simple wordmarks.

The uniforms are fairly simple, and were based on the Stars Uniforms. Double striped, crew neck collars with matching cuffs and a thick stripe down each side of the uniform. The shorts feature the LAC logo on one leg, and "LAC" spelled out in two-tone maritime flags on the other. I love them on their current powder blue alt, but I don't like that they're in non-team colors. All the maritime flags have a different design, so the meaning isn't lost.

Not much to say about the court--pretty similar to their current one, but with the new colors and marks.

E9nECwy.png?2

C1tXhhK.png?1

lV26SAh.png

I've been thinking about doing a Clippers rebrand, and sure enough you beat me to the punch. This is a perfect imagining a cohesive rebrand for a team that plummeted to the bottom of the NBA rankings

So, I did a Clippers concept a couple years back that was an update of their original logo, making it look more like an actual clipper ship. But with the recent leaks of their new, cringeworthy identity, and the opinion of several members that ship imagery isn't the way to go, I decided to go back and take a different direction.

I struck a middle ground on the colors, going with the current red and the powder blue used by the LA Stars of the ABA. For the primary logo I went with a ship wheel with arched "Los Angeles" and "Clippers" scripts and an abstract ocean beneath it, filling the bottom half of the wheel. The secondary is just the ship wheel, with the interior forming a basketball with alternating white and powder blue panels. I also created an "LAC" logo, which resembles the new leaked mark more than the current. This is the one part of the identity I'm not sure about, so if anyone has suggestions speak up!

I chose Brothers for the wordmark...I know this font has become slightly overused, but I felt that it really fit well with the nautical theme. Also, it's a good font, so it's not a bad thing that it's popular IMO. The elongated Ls are an homage to the LA Stars, whose "Los Angeles" wordmark had a similar look. I think it adds some nice character to the otherwise simple wordmarks.

The uniforms are fairly simple, and were based on the Stars Uniforms. Double striped, crew neck collars with matching cuffs and a thick stripe down each side of the uniform. The shorts feature the LAC logo on one leg, and "LAC" spelled out in two-tone maritime flags on the other. I love them on their current powder blue alt, but I don't like that they're in non-team colors. All the maritime flags have a different design, so the meaning isn't lost.

Not much to say about the court--pretty similar to their current one, but with the new colors and marks.

[imgs]

I've been thinking about doing a Clippers rebrand, and sure enough you beat me to the punch. This is a perfect imagining a cohesive rebrand for a team that plummeted to the bottom of the NBA rankings

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the kind words! I'll probably make some small tweaks and enter this in the Uniwatch contest. And sorry for beating you to the punch ^_^

• 4 weeks later...

Archived