Arena / Stadium Logos from the 70's

Astrodome? Or did you mean Superdome?

Looks like that program is actually for a game in City Park, not the Dome. It's possible that the LSED managed City Park Stadium back then. But, even still, they used to have exhibition MLB games in the preseason pretty regularly. I remember catching the Cubs and Yankees one year back in the late 90s/early 2000s.

The 1977 New Orleans Pelicans were a one-year wonder as a Cardinals affiliate after Tulsa's stadium fell down on itself. That club was in the Superdome, then moved to Springfield, IL for four years before settling in for a nice run in Louisville...

SCvprlg.jpg

Wow. You could probably score from first on a wild pitch.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4325a1f295d93936b25f7c8135d8deac.jpg

This last pic was a surprise... I had no idea they played MLB games in the Astrodome! How often did that happen?

Astrodome? Or did you mean Superdome?

Looks like that program is actually for a game in City Park, not the Dome. It's possible that the LSED managed City Park Stadium back then. But, even still, they used to have exhibition MLB games in the preseason pretty regularly. I remember catching the Cubs and Yankees one year back in the late 90s/early 2000s.

I meant Superdome because the photo is of the cover of "Louisiana Superdome Baseball Magazine". Sorry for the confusing typo guys.

Anyway, why would they name the magazine after the Superdome and have a giant photo of it at the top when the baseball game it is advertising was going to be played at City Park Stadium? And what does LSED stand for? Also, why in the world would the Cubs and Yankees play a spring training game in New Orleans? I wasn't aware there were a lot of Chicago and New York fans in Louisiana. Florida I could understand because that is where the Yankees do their spring training, sooooo I guess the Yankees consider New Orleans close enough to Florida that they might as well get some preseason games in at the fancy air conditioned Superdome?

Here's the old Meadowlands logo. Not 70's but close enough:

820822_ticket.jpg

31818a_orioles.jpg

Cincinnati Reds tickets of the 70s and early 80s had this image of Riverfront Stadium on them. I think it was used on team letterhead and other places, as well...

1978-cincinnati-reds-ticket-stub.jpg

Madison Square Garden

new-york-knicks-1972-1973.jpg

Thanks for these submissions guys but I don't consider drawings of the buildings to be logos. I know, I know, they appeared on ticket stubs and signage and possibly letterhead but that doesn't mean they are logos. They were more identifiers, like a way to show people what your location looked like before Street View on Google Maps. I'm sure there were separate and much graphically simpler actual logos for these stadiums.

Now, just so I don't get my head ripped off, I want to ask the following question because I am unsure of what it is: that design at the bottom of the Madison Square Garden pic: is that supposed to be a drawing of the outside of the building or is it just a really abstract decoration and possible logo for the stadium? I looked at present-day photos of the outside of the facility and it definitely doesn't look like that drawing. Maybe the building looked like that when it was built and it was possibly renovated / updated sometime over the years?

^ Man, the Superdome looks great as a baseball facility. Sad that there NEVER was an MLB team there...... or Vancouver, BC going off tangent here.

The huge foul ball area doesn't bother you? Looks like a terrible place for baseball. Front row seats are way too far away.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

^ Well, Oakland's ballpark has a huge foul area as well.

And last I checked it's not on the list of best ballparks.

^ Man, the Superdome looks great as a baseball facility. Sad that there NEVER was an MLB team there...... or Vancouver, BC going off tangent here.

The huge foul ball area doesn't bother you? Looks like a terrible place for baseball. Front row seats are way too far away.

I saw a Superdome baseball photo from the upper deck, and you couldn't see home plate. I'll see if I can dig it up.

EDIT: Found it.

Slide2_zpsdoesu7fq.jpg

iq5b7nF.png

803c67239cdb68188dd815501061b16f.jpg

170db5b5ebcba46d5e99dcb202ec429a.jpg

d8722266dc0a71a41cab792931da11df.jpg

This last pic was a surprise... I had no idea they played MLB games in the Astrodome! How often did that happen?

Did anyone else notice this?: The L ans S represent the Mississippi River's shape as it snakes through New Orleans and the dot is the Superdome's location in the City near the Mississippi. This is a simplified bird's eye view of New Orleans. Clever!

Madison Square Garden

new-york-knicks-1972-1973.jpg

Thanks for these submissions guys but I don't consider drawings of the buildings to be logos. I know, I know, they appeared on ticket stubs and signage and possibly letterhead but that doesn't mean they are logos. They were more identifiers, like a way to show people what your location looked like before Street View on Google Maps. I'm sure there were separate and much graphically simpler actual logos for these stadiums.

Now, just so I don't get my head ripped off, I want to ask the following question because I am unsure of what it is: that design at the bottom of the Madison Square Garden pic: is that supposed to be a drawing of the outside of the building or is it just a really abstract decoration and possible logo for the stadium? I looked at present-day photos of the outside of the facility and it definitely doesn't look like that drawing. Maybe the building looked like that when it was built and it was possibly renovated / updated sometime over the years?

I always thought that MSG logo was a stylized drawing of the building's exterior. But I'm not very bright, so what do I know? The interior has been renovated a few times, but the exterior looks pretty much the same as it did back when the place opened:

BWS-8_P81.jpg

This is the version of that logo or whatever that I remember best; it's from WWF events at the Garden:

howard-finkel.gif

This 2.5-hour WWF clip has an animated version in the intro that probably won't help but is still pretty cool to look at. I'm a sucker for 1980s tv intros.

Man, this thread makes me miss the good old days of non-corporate name venues, especially the NBA. The Forum...Boston Garden...The Summit...The Meadowlands...The Omni...The Mecca...The Salt Palace...The Spectrum...some real classics in there!

Not really logos, but I found these. Not sure if the vet actually had a real logo until the 90s.

vets-stadium.jpegmOTQJV6JHaxg4rbJ24363WQ.jpgPacker1.4.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Not really logos, but I found these. Not sure if the vet actually had a real logo until the 90s.

Packer1.4.jpg

What an odd wordmark for the Eagles. The crazy g doesn't really make sense.

I wonder if that was official, or if it was just used by the designer. I think the Eagles were one of the teams that did have official wordmarks back in the day (not every NFL team had anything custom since it's not like baseball where the wordmark got a lot of use back then.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

803c67239cdb68188dd815501061b16f.jpg

170db5b5ebcba46d5e99dcb202ec429a.jpg

d8722266dc0a71a41cab792931da11df.jpg

Did anyone else notice this?: The L ans S represent the Mississippi River's shape as it snakes through New Orleans and the dot is the Superdome's location in the City near the Mississippi. This is a simplified bird's eye view of New Orleans. Clever!

You sir are the Indiana Jones of logos! My mind is completely blown right now because I looked at a Google Earth image of New Orleans and your L.S. river theory is totally right! WOW! Below is the image I looked at that for me is proof without a doubt that this logo indeed represents a bird's eye view of New Orleans with the L and S doubling / acting as the shape of the river and the circle representing the top of the Superdome in the general location of where it is in relation to the river:

88483b60d07639ae3155194e187c383d.png

For me, this info instantly puts this logo in the top 10 logos of all time! Maybe even top 3! I'd love to hear how this L-and-S-as-river / river-as-L-and-S idea came about because it is absolutely brilliant!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!1!!!111!!!!!

Packer1.4.jpg

What an odd wordmark for the Eagles. The crazy g doesn't really make sense.

Someone posted the Veterans' Stadium logo below earlier in this thread and it first appeared in 1971 according to this site. The colors of yellow and blue are the official colors of the city of Philadelphia by the way.

qfff2ot3fhbzakf7ugc0.gif

And the top oval in that crazy g TOTALLY could have been turned into a football! What a missed opportunity!

Archived