NHL Redesign - No More White! **Leafs, Canucks, Capitals & Jets Added** (30/30

CanucksBrad

Very nice series. My only complaint is from a consistency point of view. Some teams use black as a home and some as an away. I think that if you're going to encourage color vs. color you have to have the matchups work without an alternate option as the go to. You don't need to change any of your designs because of this though. From a more realistic perspective, you need to make sure the darker color is a home jersey while the away jersey is a lighter color.

That is a good point, and something I realized part way through.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great series! I really enjoyed all the concepts!

I had 2 thoughts though:

I love the Preds alternate design, but the brown is definitely not flattering. This could be a good opportunity to use a beige or cream color.

Also, with Calgary's alternate, you could bring the flames back. However, instead of realistic flames what about a simplified and subtle gray flame design hiding in the background? Could be cool, just my two cents.

The Predators home is amazing. I like the yellow as an away. The alternate jersey is creative but I can't see hitting the ice. What about using the blue as a home, yellow as an alternate and cream as an away?

Just a thought.

NJ is fabulous. I like them in black, and really hope to see one soon.

I'd add more yellow to the Preds home jersey. The road has blue cuffs and hemline, but these elements are reduced to thin stripes on the home. Its asymmetrical and reduces the gold that has become so prominent in their branding. And I hate to say it but the brown does come out of nowhere, and not look good at all. Silver, blue/yellow tiger stripes, a fauxback, or a Dixie Flyers jersey, would all be better ideas.

Montreal is a solid look, and Minnesota is AMAZING. Seriously fantastic. They should be wearing this exact set now.

I do question the logic that forces Detroit, Chicago, and Montreal to give up their road white jersey and yet allows the expansion Minnesota Wild to have a white road jersey. Sure, its technically "vintage white", but wouldn't all the previously mentioned teams be clamoring to wear "vintage white" as well? If you are forcing teams to not have a white jersey, Minnesota, a team with two strong non-white colours (red/green), being allowed to wear white while teams with only one non-white colour (Detroit, arguably Montreal as well for all they have worn blue in their history) feels like a cop out.

qtOnrJr.png

NJ is fabulous. I like them in black, and really hope to see one soon.

I'd add more yellow to the Preds home jersey. The road has blue cuffs and hemline, but these elements are reduced to thin stripes on the home. Its asymmetrical and reduces the gold that has become so prominent in their branding. And I hate to say it but the brown does come out of nowhere, and not look good at all. Silver, blue/yellow tiger stripes, a fauxback, or a Dixie Flyers jersey, would all be better ideas.

Montreal is a solid look, and Minnesota is AMAZING. Seriously fantastic. They should be wearing this exact set now.

I do question the logic that forces Detroit, Chicago, and Montreal to give up their road white jersey and yet allows the expansion Minnesota Wild to have a white road jersey. Sure, its technically "vintage white", but wouldn't all the previously mentioned teams be clamoring to wear "vintage white" as well? If you are forcing teams to not have a white jersey, Minnesota, a team with two strong non-white colours (red/green), being allowed to wear white while teams with only one non-white colour (Detroit, arguably Montreal as well for all they have worn blue in their history) feels like a cop out.

I don't see tan, beige, cream, whatever you want to call it as a "cop-out" instead of white. I don't think every team would look good with it, so instead some teams choose a different colour.

I don't see why "vintage white" as you call it is so much closer to white then say grey/silver. It's not really white at all. If 15/30 teams had it as their road jerseys, it would kind of defeat the purpose of eliminating white, if every team just used the next closest thing.

Also, being realistic, every time the NHL makes a major change to uniforms, some teams lose. Just think when they went to Reebok edge, a lot of teams got worse; Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Florida come to mind.

Thanks for all the compliments and input though. :)

Very nice series. My only complaint is from a consistency point of view. Some teams use black as a home and some as an away. I think that if you're going to encourage color vs. color you have to have the matchups work without an alternate option as the go to. You don't need to change any of your designs because of this though. From a more realistic perspective, you need to make sure the darker color is a home jersey while the away jersey is a lighter color.

This bothered me at first, because I assumed the darker color would always be worn at home. But some teams should not wear the darker color at home, so I think the best option is to call the home jersey the primary jersey and the road jersey the clash jersey like in soccer. Teams would wear the primary unless it clashes or they want to wear one of the alternates. (For example, the Red Wings would wear their red set against teams like St. Louis, Toronto, etc. instead of the gray.) With that being said, I would make the Devils' red jersey the primary and the black the clash.

award%20sig.png

This bothered me at first, because I assumed the darker color would always be worn at home. But some teams should not wear the darker color at home, so I think the best option is to call the home jersey the primary jersey and the road jersey the clash jersey like in soccer. Teams would wear the primary unless it clashes or they want to wear one of the alternates. (For example, the Red Wings would wear their red set against teams like St. Louis, Toronto, etc. instead of the gray.) With that being said, I would make the Devils' red jersey the primary and the black the clash.

This is a good suggestion, but I know how hesitant hockey fans are of ideas coming from soccer institutions.

At any rate, the main set for Minnesota looks great. That being said, I don't think they should have a Northstars based alternate since that identity belongs to the Dallas Stars.

While the North Stars logo leaglly belongs to the Dallas Stars, it's part of Minnesota's Hockey Heritage and fits better with the Minnesotans, as most of the Emotional attachment is in Minnesota.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

This is an awesome concept. I really like the idea of eschewing the regular home/road order for hockey. While I prefer a traditional white/gray split in baseball, I don't view hockey the same way. However, I think that just making it a "two-color uniform" thing would be enough, rather than just making an overall rule of "no white", just for teams like Toronto and Detroit (I'm not even sure the beautiful Rangers white should or shouldn't be in that list). Just because it's not a blank bland jersey for those teams, but a showing off of their color scheme. It is their colors.

The graying reminds me of how the Yankees and MLB traded in their primary logo colors in merchandise and gear to instead pump gray into everything. It doesn't feel natural. At least baseball teams wear gray aways. This is introducing the color into schemes where they don't belong.

Really cool thread, though, and beautiful work.

spacer.png

spacer.png

13/30:

EW4XPbe.png

Fairly drastic changes to the Panthers. I really feel like they need to go for a money sunny and tropical colour scheme than their current. I took a pretty big leap with this one, but in a market like Miami they have to do whatever they can to be noticed by the locals.

the alt looks like the lightning's prank alternate. if you haven't seen the video, look it up.

13/30:

EW4XPbe.png

Fairly drastic changes to the Panthers. I really feel like they need to go for a money sunny and tropical colour scheme than their current. I took a pretty big leap with this one, but in a market like Miami they have to do whatever they can to be noticed by the locals.

the alt looks like the lightning's prank alternate. if you haven't seen the video, look it up.

I agree, nonetheless.

Archived