Smu, Houston, Cincy & Memphis to the big 12

BYU, Boise st, sd st. And UNLV/Hawaii to the PAC 12.

I think they would make everyone happy right?

Wrong.

Pac 12 will accept none of those schools.

The UC schools won't accept a Cal State school and all Hawai'i brings a conference is travel subsidies and a connection to athletic dept. debt which is asked to be forgiven every two years by an incoming AD.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smu, Houston, Cincy & Memphis to the big 12

BYU, Boise st, sd st. And UNLV/Hawaii to the PAC 12.

I think they would make everyone happy right?

Wrong.

Pac 12 will accept none of those schools.

The UC schools won't accept a Cal State school and all Hawai'i brings a conference is travel subsidies and a connection to athletic dept. debt which is asked to be forgiven every two years by an incoming AD.

This is true. When you look at things from a college president's perspective instead of a fan's perspective, there appear to be no realistic possibilities for Pac12 expansion, unless Texas(unlikely) or Notre Dame (ha!) come calling.

Expand to 14

to the west

Colorado State - helps fill the void left from Colorado leaving.

New Mexico- marquee state university, good basketball tradition and fits the footprint well.

(added bonus would help New Mexico State and Idaho get into the Mountain West and out of the SunBelt)

to the east

Memphis and Cincinnati

both are good basketball schools and have had recent football success.

Cincinnati also could be an option for the ACC if it ever expands again/loses a school.

Both schools would also help bridge the gap between the rest of the schools and West Virginia.

If the Big 12 were to expand BYU would be a must, Houston would be a good second option. I don't like the Memphis idea.

But get this, I read two articles (on BR and ESPN, respectively) that another good option is multiple, multiple time FCS champion North Dakota State University. NDSU has a great tradition (the football team's first season was 1894), they have 8 D-2 and 4 straight FCS Championships (and going for a 5th straight vs Jacksonville St). Only Oklahoma has won a higher percentage of their games all time. They were ranked #29 in all of D-1 (FBS and FCS) in the AP poll, the highest of Any FCS team ever. Since 2010 they've gone 5-0 vs FBS teams (including a wins vs Kansas, Kansas St, and Iowa State). They have a fairly strong fan base (they sell out the Fargodme consistently and have earned the Fargodome the nickname the "Thunderdome" due to the noise the crowd makes. With the semi-newfound oil boom around Fargo, it'd be a great time for NDSU to make the leap. Now granted, NDSU would have to do things like build a new stadium (the Fargodome only has 19,000 seats)

Debate away, I'm interested if you guys think NDSU might could make the jump.

image.jpg.155faab7d9af838dcc16facded816fimage.jpg

All credit goes to their respective creators (Veras and hawkfan89)

image.jpg

If the Big 12 were to expand BYU would be a must, Houston would be a good second option. I don't like the Memphis idea.

But get this, I read two articles (on BR and ESPN, respectively) that another good option is multiple, multiple time FCS champion North Dakota State University. NDSU has a great tradition (the football team's first season was 1894), they have 8 D-2 and 4 straight FCS Championships (and going for a 5th straight vs Jacksonville St). Only Oklahoma has won a higher percentage of their games all time. They were ranked #29 in all of D-1 (FBS and FCS) in the AP poll, the highest of Any FCS team ever. Since 2010 they've gone 5-0 vs FBS teams (including a wins vs Kansas, Kansas St, and Iowa State). They have a fairly strong fan base (they sell out the Fargodme consistently and have earned the Fargodome the nickname the "Thunderdome" due to the noise the crowd makes. With the semi-newfound oil boom around Fargo, it'd be a great time for NDSU to make the leap. Now granted, NDSU would have to do things like build a new stadium (the Fargodome only has 19,000 seats)

wb9Yn6d_zpsdb0e6ym0.jpg

Why are even talked about when:

1-The NDSU President has consistently said that they have no pressure move to FBS. Currently, they can provide for CoA stipend at the FCS level under the current syste. He also knows that they would have to try to expand that warehouse of a venue they use to get enough seats to attempt to get enough revenue to be able to buy home games against other FBS opponents, as tjey still have a lease until 2018. They may need to renovate their outdoor stadium. But the many Title IX issues must be addressed first.

http://kfgo.com/news/articles/2015/jan/17/bresciani-no-pressure-to-move-bison-football-up-to-fbs/

2-The new AD is echoing the thoughts from former AD Gene Larson in that there is a big difference between their $20M budget and a Power 5s $100M budget like Texas or OU.

3-Biggest reality check...Have you seen the price of gasoline and oil lately? They are at a 10 year LOW!!!!

As a state, North Dakota's economic boom is based all upon oil sands. High oil prices fund the state's building boom, is the reason for folks not working today, and funds the athletic program with donations.

@dfwabel, those are all valid points. I was just bringing up some things I had heard. Now I will (sarcastically) apologize since I obviously insulted your completely superior intelligence with my previous post. Just thought it was an interesting thought.

image.jpg

@dfwabel, those are all valid points. I was just bringing up some things I had heard. Now I will (sarcastically) apologize since I obviously insulted your completely superior intelligence with my previous post. Just thought it was an interesting thought.

I once heard that both Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny were real, but I didn't hit up a message board claiming it.

I once heard that both Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny were real, but I didn't hit up a message board claiming it.
Why not? I don't know why you are so adverse to interesting conjecture, it is a longshot, I get it, you could even call it impossible! But who cares? The whole point of this thread was conjecture. Tell me one wrong I've done, the crime against humanity that I've committed by wondering about NDSU. If I've truly offended you I will (semi)sincerely apologize. If not, I truly don't understand what your problem is.

P.S.- Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny are SO TOTALLY real ;)

image.jpg

Why not? I don't know why you are so adverse to interesting conjecture, it is a longshot, I get it, you could even call it impossible! But who cares? The whole point of this thread was conjecture. Tell me one wrong I've done, the crime against humanity that I've committed by wondering about NDSU. If I've truly offended you I will (semi)sincerely apologize. If not, I truly don't understand what your problem is.

P.S.- Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny are SO TOTALLY real ;)

wDGognd_zpsalkbji0q.jpg

You asked for a debate, however debates have criteria and are still judged with a winner/loser.

You lost one reply in and now wish to take away your "Debate away" comment.

You know, I actually respect that last comment. Your points are all right and valid, I was not aware that the AD had come out against the potential step up. I'm a human, I make mistakes. (And don't forget, you're in the same boat)

On the other hand, as you said debates have criteria. There is a substantial difference between debating and belittling

Debate (v)- A formal method of presenting an argument in a disciplined manner.

Belittle (v)- To diminish in size, or make small.

Now whether you meant it or not, I felt a little more belittled than involved in a debate. No, I haven't seen gas prices, I'm <15. Sorry for being such a stupid teenager. Maybe next time before I post an interesting thought I got from respectable sources (BR and ESPN), I'll just decide to not post lest I offend someone of higher intelligence (such as you). Sorry for the trouble I must have caused you. No hard feelings?

Goodnight- MrRockyTop16. :)

P.S.- Everyone is still more than welcome to debate the original comment.

image.jpg

Look up "hustling backwards" as you may come here on Saturday doing that specific term regarding your NDSU post.

Regardless of your current age, with your knowledge of how this board works even as a lurker, you know the way unrealistic posts without any documentation/sighting go here.

While Turner has corrected the editorial errors of the B/R since taking over, it is not complete.

Fargo is still on the 110's in media market, so how will that improve the Big XII while adding Summit League quality teams in the other sports?

I think Houston and Memphis should go (per Tank)

I concur, Texas school and West Tennessee, just South of St Louis.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

BYU, San Diego State, Cincinnati and Memphis could be good additions for the Big XII. West Virginia gets company, BYU joins a league and has San Diego State, or maybe even Boise State, to help mitigate travel costs.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

NDSU's non-football sports are parked in the Summit League, which is basically at the bottom of the Division I pecking order/feeding trough (teams either leave for better Conferences or drop Division I athletics altogether).

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

All a moot point, as this was the resolution which the NCAA passed:

One conference championship football game conducted in either of the following ways:

A game between division champions of a member conference that is divided into two divisions (as equally balanced as possible), each of which conducts round-robin, regular-season competition among the members of that division; or,

A game between the top two teams in the conference standings following a full round-robin regular-season schedule of competition among all members of the conference.

Big XII Official Statment

All a moot point, as this was the resolution which the NCAA passed:

One conference championship football game conducted in either of the following ways:

A game between division champions of a member conference that is divided into two divisions (as equally balanced as possible), each of which conducts round-robin, regular-season competition among the members of that division; or,

A game between the top two teams in the conference standings following a full round-robin regular-season schedule of competition among all members of the conference.

Big XII Official Statment

When does the chatter of 'one Conf title game is not like the others' begin?

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Archived