2016 Copa America Centenario Kits

labc93

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait is the black thing actually happening, if so it's the biggest uniform mistake the us has ever made. I feel like the only thing thing that sells better then black is patriotic stuff, so there isn't even a reason for black. 

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

12 hours ago, masterchaoss said:

Wait is the black thing actually happening, if so it's the biggest uniform mistake the us has ever made. I feel like the only thing thing that sells better then black is patriotic stuff, so there isn't even a reason for black. 

But don't the US Women already use black? In fact I think they are simply black and yellow which is really weird. But I guess since they are the most successful US soccer team, maybe the men will try and adopt that look too?

061515_alex-morgan_600.jpg

6 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Yes, the black is happening, but as I've mentioned in the 2016 soccer thread, it will only be a change kit, while the primary will continue to be white like always.

It's the men's turn to not look like a USA team. However judging by their opponents they can get away with wearing white all 3 games. Something tells me it'll be black vs Colombia and white vs Costa Rica and Paraquay.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

47 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

It's the men's turn to not look like a USA team. However judging by their opponents they can get away with wearing white all 3 games. Something tells me it'll be black vs Colombia and white vs Costa Rica and Paraquay.

I'm ok with the black so long as it prominently features red and blue. Black is fairly neutral and can work. The reason the women's kits don't work is because of the total lack of red or blue, in addition to a completely unrelated color-volt. That's why their look is awful. I'm hopeful that this will still feature our colors in a traditional way.

48 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:
2 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Does anyone know why the USWNT uses black/volt? I've never heard the reason why.

It's just something that they agreed to do with Nike. It fits no purpose other than that. 

So weird. It might be ok if they did it across the board (men and women) and people around the world would begin to know USA soccer as black/volt. Even at that it would be odd that no other USA sports used it (like Italy does with blue and the Netherlands do with orange for all their teams).

Black/volt have no symbolism for the United States whatsoever. Being Nike's preferred colors of the moment does not create historical or cultural significance.

Virtually every nation wears either the colors of their flag, or another color of national/historical significance. Netherlands wears orange because it's (naturally) the color of the House of Orange-Nassau, the house of the Dutch royal family. Italy wears blue as it's the color of the House of Savoy, which unified Italy. Green and gold (likely) became the national sporting colors of Australia as a result of the golden wattle flower, which is native to Australia and is a national symbol.

These colors weren't randomly picked - they all have great historical or cultural significance to their countries. The notion of marketing execs at Nike picking out new national colors for the US is rather distasteful.

17 minutes ago, JosiahWVU said:

But that's yellow, this is volt. It's closer to green. I wouldn't mind that as a third but, red, white, and blue!!

I know, I was actually shocked that I could even find anything that could tie black/yellow to the USA. I don't believe it had anything to do with it though as I read the Nike release on the uniforms when they were unveiled and there was no mention whatsoever of that flag.

26 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

I know, I was actually shocked that I could even find anything that could tie black/yellow to the USA. I don't believe it had anything to do with it though as I read the Nike release on the uniforms when they were unveiled and there was no mention whatsoever of that flag.

Yea, your right, Nike just used black and volt because they can. Sorry if I came off rude but I am just frustrated that teams don't use their actual colors.

IxkieML.png

2 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Two words: Tea Party. No way US Soccer was going to highlight the Gadsden flag after the Tea Party made it the unofficial symbol of their movement. Way too divisive and politically charged.

Archived