2016 Copa America Centenario Kits

labc93

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Black isn't completely without precedent for the USMNT as well. The USMNT did wear "anthracite" clash uniforms for the 2010 World Cup qualifying campaign.

ldpoland.jpglandon-donovan-stuart-holden-2009-10-11-

Maybe nobody remembers them because they were paired with the subtle grey-white-red piping hoops jerseys.

usatsi_3775688_168381069_lowres.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

It's not the worst thing we've ever seen, that's for sure. But that doesn't make it good, either. It's just kinda there. It's neither pleasing nor displeasing. I rank it higher than the USWNT because it actually features our colors whereas their kit introduces a completely arbitrary color in volt. I'm rather indifferent towards the black, it's fairly neutral. I'm just not a massive fan of the way it's executed. It could be better.

The two tone black and blue collar is pretty ugly and also further highlights the fact the sleeves are different. They should have just done raglan sleeves all the way up to the collar and avoided any contrasting trim.

The Footy Headlines article says the sleeves fade to black on the back. If so, another strike against it. Shorts and socks to be black.

Also strange that the colors look to be navy and dark red...whereas the inner portions of the shirt seen near the neckline almost appear the 2014 shades (bright red and royal). Not sure what that's about.

That said, the crest is a massive upgrade, so there's plenty of optimism for the home kit. That's the most important thing, I suppose. This alternate kit will be worn fairly infrequently.

EDIT- Another thought. Will there be a new number font? Given the rebranding with the new crest and all?

15 minutes ago, JosiahWVU said:

This should be the USA's unis

Home    Clash     Third

In my opinion of course.

Those were all the exact kits for the last two years.

If given my choice...streamline them all to use the 1950 crest and update them to current Nike materials and cuts so they are cohesive and look like one set.

HOME:

ricardo-fuller-of-jamaica-battles-tony-s

AWAY:

71102745-midfielder-landon-donovan-of-th

THIRD:

US-national-soccer-team-2012.jpg

With the occasional alternate white shorts, too. My personal favorite combination of the Waldo:

154244051.jpg

3 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Those were all the exact kits for the last two years.

If given my choice:

HOME:

ricardo-fuller-of-jamaica-battles-tony-s

AWAY:

71102745-midfielder-landon-donovan-of-th

THIRD:

US-national-soccer-team-2012.jpg

With the occasional alternate white shorts, too. My personal favorite combination of the Waldo:

154244051.jpg

The red hoops would be by 2nd alt. 

IxkieML.png

The all white Centennials were also top of the class, too.

7200784.jpg

Perhaps because they remind me of my favorite all-time USA vs. Mexico photo. There are other versions of this shot taken a second or two after, but you have to have the one with Dempsey's neck grab. Ha!

usamexico010414ape.jpg

The black is alright, but I'm just not all in on it yet.  Personally, I'm of the mindset that, if the US is going to wear jerseys that are not red, white, and blue, they really need to tie in some American element, such as the Don't Tread on Me flag (I made a concept of that jersey, which you can see here. Shameless plug!!).  Soccer is growing in popularity in the US, and the best way for fans to get excited about any US National Team of any sport is to be overly patriotic.  If the USMNT really wants to keep gaining fans outside of the World Cup, sticking with red, white, and blue is probably the best option unless there's some jingoistic theme they can roll with on the jerseys.  But that's the marketing major in me piping up.

If we're setting our own USMNT Kit set up, I think that the Waldo jerseys should be the permanent home, and then the 2012 Blue jerseys as the away for now, with the Centennial as the third.  Unless Nike wants to buy my aforementioned yellow kit off of me, then I'd totally be okay with that.

bWdXRDv.jpg

ZgaIoh4.jpg

I believe in Auburn and love it!                                                 @RealTCutt                                                                            Colossians 3:23

1 hour ago, JosiahWVU said:

I love the centennial crest but the unis would be better with a blue number instead of gray.

I think they were technically blue but unfortunately fell victim to that period where Nike printed numbers using tiny dots, thus reducing the density until they looked gray. One of the dumber aesthetic-choices-masquerading-as-performance-improvement in memory.

Logo

The new Logo is an upgrade, but what a missed opportunity to not use the shape of the 1950 crest - which was also used in slight variations for all but the 1993 follow up logos.

Just the shape itself screams USA. (Highway Roadsigns for example)

wsotp-blog-us-crest-history.png?w=628&h=

Jersey

This leak image looks slightly better, but the neck blue collar trim on the red side bothers me as well, should just have made it all black.

Wonder how it will look from behind. I don't like split jerseys at all, hoping it's all black and just the sleeves itself are red/blue.

Archived