Dragons Logo

Vader

Ok, redo number 4, and this time I kept the same "concept" per say, but changed the look and feel of the logo quite a bit.  I was searching google for inspiration and I found an image of a dragon with it's wings out and it kinda reminded me of the shape of a football, so I took a few elements from that, took a few elements from the logo I had been doing and threw them together.  I gotta say, it's my favorite so far.  Frenchie had mentioned that it sorta looked more like a bat, but I would say that's been solved and the fact that the logo is in the shape of a football and the laces leave no mistaking that it's a football team logo.  Laces need some work, but they are fixable.  C&C?

Dragon_football2.thumb.png.205d44cebccab

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd really like to give it a silver or white outline as I plan on putting the logo on a black helmet, but as I showed earlier, I have no idea how to do it properly in Inkscape. Does anyone know of a tool that will do this or a technique that I could use?

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated!   I think I will go back to the previous version, but I'll still take out the spikes. I like the bigger laces too, and I'm not happy with the tweaks to the tail. I want to fix up the red inside the wings a little, just some minor tweak stuff. Still can't figure out how to outline it. I tried shrinking it and pasting it on a silver layer of it self, but I can't get it to shrink proportionately.   It doesn't look right at all. Gotta be a way to do it as tons of logos have a perfect outline on them.

For your keyline, don't merely use a stroke, or copy/place under/recolor. Instead, copy, place under, and then convert the outline so that you can play with the Bezier points to get it just right (assuming your program will let you do that.)

rATMcmK.png

I think you should try to make the laces on the football look more like back scales of the dragon...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

It's really starting to come along. I like the football shape, very clever, but right now it seems a little too "squished." I'd broaden it out a bit, maybe separate the wings just a tad. It should still read as a football (especially with the laces). 

I'd clean up the red strokes inside of the logo to make them more uniform. On the right side you have an area where the stroke touches the edge of the logo. On the left, there's a larger gap between the top of the wing and the top of the red stroke than on the right side. Make a few tweaks to help create a uniform line width and make sure your spacing is the same throughout. 

As I see it now, the red strokes are a bit too thin and the areas that come together to form the triangle shapes either need to be filled in, or cut apart so that they do not form a closed shape. It's odd seeing a closed shape without a fill; it's like a phantom yoke on hockey jerseys--it just looks weird. 

Great progression! I can't wait to see the finished product!

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

I think you should try to make the laces on the football look more like back scales of the dragon...

I agree with this, the logo is looking great now imo, but I think the laces are a little too overt and it kind of pulls attention away from the rest of the dragon. I think ideally you should be able to see the football shape/laces, but they should fit into the surrounding aesthetic so that it doesn't distract from the dragon image surrounding them. Designing them to look more like dragon scales in a pattern down his back that resembles laces could potentially work very well.

Great work on this, it's come a long way!

Sportslogo-Forum-Signature-2.png

Heitert, thanks for the great advice.   It's crazy that nearly everything people have commented on I either already saw just hadn't fixed yet, or just flat out didn't see at first but agreed with once they mentioned it. I know the red line spacing needs work, that last logo I finished working on at 2am, just couldn't keep going. :). I have a copy saved that has the red triangles filled in with red, but honestly didn't like it. I'll keep tweaking them to see what I can come up with. I've been still struggling to learn Inkscape and it's been very hard not to give up and go back to the programs that I'm used to. I can't seem to get the layers working like I would expect. In paint shop pro or photo shop the layers are a breeze, but with my copy of Inkscape, i can't seem to select different layers, I know they are there....anyway, either it's just me being a noob or I have a watered down version.  It is a little bit squished up, I'll pull the wings out a little, not too much though. I like the idea of the scales on the back, but not sure if I can still make them look like laces. I might give it a try though.

I would clean up the laces, make the wings touch at the top and bottom to finish the football shape and make the blank white areas red. Slap that logo on a silver helmet and it's pretty good.

or replace the lace design with a red spine, and for each lace make a scale or bone

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

7 minutes ago, worcat said:

I would clean up the laces, make the wings touch at the top and bottom to finish the football shape and make the blank white areas red. Slap that logo on a silver helmet and it's pretty good.

or replace the lace design with a red spine, and for each lace make a scale or bone

I respectfully disagree, IMHO the football motif is clear enough and not closing it in makes it a bit more unique. No harm in trying it that way though, I guess. :)

Looking much better each time. I'm really happy you edited the wing highlights, they were irking me for some reason.

The tail is bugging me a little. Maybe center it completely?

I'd just like to see how that looks. Kudos for your effort.

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." ~Vince Lombardi

I use to use inkscape a lot and here is some advice.

Your left and right wing are different, one is thinner than the other. Here is away to get them exactly the same.

Draw the body of the dragon without the wings, then just draw a wing on one side til you have it the way you want (with the red highlights). Now select the wing and the highlights and group them together, then duplicate the wing, flip it, and slide it over to the other side, now both sides are exact.

The laces look out of place , i understand you want it to look like  football, but you did that with the shape of the logo. You can still put laces, just make the more abstract, so its there, but not noticed right away.

This version looks much better than the first. good job.

t8ojkk.jpg24fhb3a.pngopr7er.png23tfsx.png

Hmmm, you know what, the more I look at this version vs the last version, the more I like the previous one better. I'm not happy with the shape of the wings in the latest one, and even if the white laces look "off", I think I will leave them white, just tidy them up a little. I'll redo the changes inside the wings from the previous copy, and maybe straighten the tail.   The more the logo develops, the more I'm happy with it looking like a football at first glance and then noticing the Dragon vs the other way around.  

Archived