Victoria Cougars Concept *Jerseys Added*

jlevesque

On 29/07/2016 at 11:28 PM, jlevesque said:

I'm thinking of basing the team out of Victoria, BC. Victoria Cougars seems like a good name and I could make a nice VC secondary logo. 

Good work- it is progressing, but it seems a little flat and static.  Having asymmetrical shading may add some depth, and the pupils need to focus on us, if it is facing forward.

You are aware that the Victoria Cougars have already existed in both the Pacific Coast Hockey Association (the last non-NHL Stanley Cup winners, in 1925) and the junior Western Hockey League (now in Prince George)?

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, sportsherald said:

Good work- it is progressing, but it seems a little flat and static.  Having asymmetrical shading may add some depth, and the pupils need to focus on us, if it is facing forward.

You are aware that the Victoria Cougars have already existed in both the Pacific Coast Hockey Association (the last non-NHL Stanley Cup winners, in 1925) and the junior Western Hockey League (now in Prince George)?

I was not aware of the old Victoria Cougars, I just picked it and thought it stuck. Another reason I chose Victoria was because I wanted to work with V and C in the secondary logo. Also as for the asymmetrical shading, I'll try it out. The pupils have been changed and will be in the next updated version. 

3 hours ago, ncs53 said:

Good concept, but it seems like there's too much black around the mouth.

Changes Made:

-replaced some of the black around the mouth

-added more asymmetrical shading in the mouth area 

-flipped eye shape so it conveys more aggressiveness

-with the eye shape changed the pupils were less necessary so they were removed

Screenshot_74.png

Watching this logo progress has been awesome, you've really done a good job listening to critiques and tweaking it into an impressive logo. However, just to add a couple suggestions, the forehead area looks very empty right now and could likely benefit from some shading like you've done on the nose. Also, I'm not sure if it would improve the logo, but the way the bottom jaw is right now actually curves upward whereas in the reference photo posted earlier you can see it would be the opposite. Those are just a couple small things that may or may not improve an already great logo!

g4104.png

I like the red and yellow, better.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

3 hours ago, joshhockey said:

Watching this logo progress has been awesome, you've really done a good job listening to critiques and tweaking it into an impressive logo. However, just to add a couple suggestions, the forehead area looks very empty right now and could likely benefit from some shading like you've done on the nose. Also, I'm not sure if it would improve the logo, but the way the bottom jaw is right now actually curves upward whereas in the reference photo posted earlier you can see it would be the opposite. Those are just a couple small things that may or may not improve an already great logo!

You raised some really good points, I added creases above the eyes to address the emptiness in the forehead. Then I rounded the jaw. Small changes but really nice outcome. Thanks for your suggestions, they were really helpful. 

Screenshot_78.png

Just stumbled across this and I want to repeat what others on here have been saying, the progress here is remarkable, and although the original logo showed potential, this last one is great. Though I have two suggestions, first the eyes. Ever since they were brought up on the thread they haven't looked perfect, the whites still don't look right and the pupil you had looks very unaggressive, unlike the rest of the logo. I think they'd look better all black or with a silver of white to show they're there but not as noticeably. I also think that you should darken the yellow, as it looks really bright on my monitor at least. I demonstrated these changes below...

Victoria Cougars Logo.png

Sorry if thats being overbearing (and for the sloppiness of Paint), but I feel both changes would improve the logo.

Jake88%2BSignture.png

1 hour ago, Jake88 said:

Just stumbled across this and I want to repeat what others on here have been saying, the progress here is remarkable, and although the original logo showed potential, this last one is great. Though I have two suggestions, first the eyes. Ever since they were brought up on the thread they haven't looked perfect, the whites still don't look right and the pupil you had looks very unaggressive, unlike the rest of the logo. I think they'd look better all black or with a silver of white to show they're there but not as noticeably. I also think that you should darken the yellow, as it looks really bright on my monitor at least.

Thanks for your input. The yellow is bright because its based on the Victoria Cougars VIJHL team which uses a pretty bright yellow, but I'll likely be changing the colour scheme soon anyway. As for the eyes I don't want the detail to be too small otherwise it will make the eyes look weird from a distance. I've narrowed the eyes down to two versions as of right now I'll be posting them soon. 

Decided to go with the slightly squinting eyes. Almost everyone I asked preferred them and I did too. Now I'm finishing up the logo but I need to know which of these versions of the black outline is better. Left to right it goes thin, thick and very thick. Which one looks best? My personal favourite is the one in the middle.

Screenshot_81.png

I like the middle most, thin the least.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Archived