NHL Combination of Eras (BONUS: Whale-canes)

TheLAKnight

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Detroit- Simple & classy, all the changes were smart moves.

Boston- I like the look, but it does feel like a step back from the set they wear now.

Buffalo- Perfection. What should be worn by the team right now. Maybe no grey though? 

Florida- I like the primary crest, I like the idea of the jerseys, but the execution is lacking. Gold & Blue need to touch with this design, not be separated by red like it is. Also, a double outlined yoke/ double outlined numbers would work wonders here. The set's great, but the fact the colours are all separate makes it feel like it wouldn't look good on the ice. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

2 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Detroit- Simple & classy, all the changes were smart moves.

Boston- I like the look, but it does feel like a step back from the set they wear now.

Buffalo- Perfection. What should be worn by the team right now. Maybe no grey though? 

Florida- I like the primary crest, I like the idea of the jerseys, but the execution is lacking. Gold & Blue need to touch with this design, not be separated by red like it is. Also, a double outlined yoke/ double outlined numbers would work wonders here. The set's great, but the fact the colours are all separate makes it feel like it wouldn't look good on the ice. 

Thanks!

For Boston, I think what they wear now is almost perfect. My version probably uses too much gold, but many of their older designs do.

Ya the gray isn't great for Buffalo. It works better with navy than royal blue.

I assume you're referring to Florida's white jersey with the gaps? Some of that is taken from their original set, but I will look into changing that because other sets have them touching. I won't be able to do anything with it right now, but I'll take all of these ideas into consideration when I revisit them.

5 minutes ago, TheLAKnight said:

I assume you're referring to Florida's white jersey with the gaps? Some of that is taken from their original set, but I will look into changing that because other sets have them touching. I won't be able to do anything with it right now, but I'll take all of these ideas into consideration when I revisit them.

Not only that, but the stripes along with the navy cuffs. The space between them on BOTH jerseys isn't needed and looks bad IMO. The little bit of navy will show uo under the glove at times, and it won't look good on the ice. The stripes themselves look like the current set ones, but adding full cuffs also throws back to the inaugural set. 

Also, you're right about that white gap. I never knew that. 

An all Canadian post today!

Montreal

Logo: Same version used since the '50s. The lighter red and blue color scheme circa 1999 is used.

Jersey Set: As with almost all Canadiens concepts, the fewer the changes, the better. On the home jersey, the sleeve numbers are within the stripes as they were from 1966-80 and the end of the sleeve becomes blue as a nod to the team's early sets (the full cuff was too much). On the white, the numbers have only a single outline as they did from 1941-97. Both jerseys have a collar design which combines the tie-down (1941-77, 2015-16) with the tricolor (1977-2007). 

Montreal Set 1.png

Ottawa

Logos: The primary crest is the unused 2D senator with the red outline removed. The new shoulder patch combines the golden ring with the O on stripes.

Ottawa Logo 2.png

Jersey Set: No, I did not bring back black as the primary color. This mainly is due to the fact that they have worn red for twice as long as black (16 seasons > 7 seasons). The design, however, is more reminiscent of those early black sets especially on the hem. The arm striping can also be seen as a simplified version of both the red alternate-turned-home jersey and the current set. The font and collars come from the current set, while the stripe-less pants and old wordmark on the helmet come from the original set.

Ottawa Set 1.png

My one concern with this set is that it may be too close to what I have Carolina wearing, aside from the helmet and pants. 

Spoiler

Carolina Set 1.png

The last 2 regular sets belong to the Lightning and Maple Leafs. And they won't look anything like one another!

Tampa Bay

Logos: The primary logo takes their updated logo from 2007 and makes the bolt one color without an text above as they use today. The secondary combines the Florida logo with the current roundel.

Tampa Bay Logo 1.png

Tampa Bay Logo 2.png

Jersey Set: The design of the jerseys goes back to how it was when the team entered the league in 1992. Black returns as the main color with opposite color yokes on each jersey. The positioning of the stripes and collar come from the team's current set. Text appears on the crest of the road jersey also as a nod to the current set. Other details include:

• current number font (2007-present)
  • lightning bolt on pants (1992-present, most similar to current with extra outline)
  • sock stripes (1992-2007)
  • return of the victory stripes!! (1992-2011)

Tampa Bay Set 1.png

Toronto

Logo: The Leafs new primary gains an outline and loses its veins as homages to the '60s leaf and the 11 point leaves.

Toronto Logo 4.png

Jersey Set: The striping pattern takes the northwestern stripes from the Leafs '67 Cup run and doubles them on the sleeves. Thus, the looks is somewhat like the new set (and half of the first Leafs set). A blue shoulder yoke is added to the road jersey like the one worn in the early '60s. A blank un-outlined version of the primary is found on the shoulders similar to the patches worn with the Ballard Leaf set. Other details include:

• former number font
  • sock stripes (1930-70, 1992-2016)
  • solid blue pants (1992-2016)
  • tie-down collar (1958-70, 2010-16)

Toronto Set 1.png   

That concludes the main sets of the teams! I'll be posting the Atlantic division alternates tomorrow and Saturday. Then, I'll likely post every teams complete uniform sets. Let me know if there's anything that I should take a second look at before then.

59 minutes ago, KittSmith_95 said:

All four of these sets are great. The only thing I would've done is used The Peace Tower patch for Ottawa & some sort of pant stripe with Toronto. 

I found it was more effective to use the combination of the Sens 2 longest serving secondary logos. Also, the Peace Tower logo was only used for 5 years on an alternate. As of right now, it won't be featured on the alternate, although that may change.

For how many stripes are on the Leafs jersey, I thought one more on the pants would have been too much. It will, however, be featured on the alternate set.

31 minutes ago, TheLAKnight said:

I found it was more effective to use the combination of the Sens 2 longest serving secondary logos. Also, the Peace Tower logo was only used for 5 years on an alternate. As of right now, it won't be featured on the alternate, although that may change.

For how many stripes are on the Leafs jersey, I thought one more on the pants would have been too much. It will, however, be featured on the alternate set.

Actually, you're wrong. 

http://www.icethetics.co/archive/2013/1/20/exploring-nhl-helmet-decals.htm

The Sens have used the Peace Tower logo as a helmet decal for a while now as well. The Peace Tower was also used in the All Star Game logo in 2012. It's a fantastic logo, IMO. At the very least, use it on the pants, meaning 3 logos. Like the Sharks do. 

1 hour ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Actually, you're wrong. 

http://www.icethetics.co/archive/2013/1/20/exploring-nhl-helmet-decals.htm

The Sens have used the Peace Tower logo as a helmet decal for a while now as well. The Peace Tower was also used in the All Star Game logo in 2012. It's a fantastic logo, IMO. At the very least, use it on the pants, meaning 3 logos. Like the Sharks do. 

Then that is where it will go.

I'll say up front that Detroit and Montreal do not have alternates with their full sets because they haven't worn one that wasn't for an anniversary or league event.

Boston

Logos: The bear from the shoulders of the main set is used as the crest. A stand alone B is found on the shoulders.

Jersey Set: As the Bruins did in the '40s'50s'60searly 2000s, and in the Winter Classic, they will be wearing a gold jersey. Most of the design comes from the '50s version including the doubled arm stripes and yoke stripes. Every gold jersey worn has had a black (or brown) yoke. The logos are meant to callback to the current (which itself is a callback to the '20s) and the early 2000s alternates. Other details include:

• number font (2007-present) with double outline (1995-2007)
  • sock stripes (1939-65)

Boston Alt Set 1.png

(I will mock-up a version with the brown bear later.)

Buffalo

Logos: The Buffalo script is back with just the updated crossed swords underneath. The buffalo itself is separate on the shoulders as a nod to the goat head on the shoulders of the red alternate jersey (and a little bit to the buffaslug).

Jersey Set: Since the main set was royal blue and traditional, the alternate had to be navy blue and modern to reflect the last 20 years. Silver has a much more prominent role as it did in the early 2000sBuffaslug, and Turdburger sets. The cuffs come from the initial set with stripes more reminiscent of the underarms from the middle set. The side panels also combine these 2 eras. Other details include:

• number font (alternate 2013-15)
  • sock stripes (1996-2006)
  • tie-down collar (1970-78, 2008-present)
  • blank pants (1996-2006, 2008-present)
  • gray pits (2008-present) <--- not necessary, but this jersey is supposed to look out of place like several of the Sabres design choices

Buffalo Alt Set 2.png 

Florida

Logos: The updated leaping panther breaks free from the shield that I used for the primary. The secondary logo combines the FLA sans sun with the prowling panther sans flag.

Florida Logo 4.png

Jersey Set: The team's original EDGE home jersey returns without any of the unnecessary front piping. Instead, a hem stripe is added like the first navy alternate. The width and scooped hem of the stripes comes from the team's other navy alternate. The collar also comes from that 3rd jersey. The number font, pants, and helmet all stay the same.

Florida Alt Set 1.png 

Any changes before the last alternates get posted?

We've arrived at the final new alternate jerseys!

Ottawa

Logos: The =O= logo graces the front while the new primary is on the shoulders. As requested, I added the Peace Tower logo as a helmet decal.

Jersey Set: The use of the chest stripe is taken from the club's fauxback alternate. The actual pattern of all stripes comes from their first black alternate. The thin hem stripes and the primary logo on the shoulders come from the SENS alternate. The only other detail is the pants stripes from the current set.

Ottawa Alt Set 1.png

Tampa Bay

Logos: As has been the case since 2008, BOLTS appears on the front. The same secondary from the primary set is on the shoulders.

Jersey Set: The basis for this jersey is the most recent BOLTS iteration with the sleeve length stripes. The main color, hem stripes, and pattern of all stripes come from the first BOLTS jersey. Other details include:

• blue helmet (2011-present)
  • sock stripes (alternate 2008-14)

Tampa Bay Alt Set 2.png 

Some of Tampa's details also are reminiscent of their sublimated alternate. I tried a version using the gray shoulders from it.

Spoiler

Tampa Bay Alt 1.png

Toronto

Logo: Not really a logo. Just the text from their primary on the front.

Jersey Set: The jersey combines several eras of Leafs jerseys (2 stripes) including the Arenas (white hem and collar) and St. Pats (chest stripe and text). The pants stripe is added (1934-92, 2016-present), an outline is added to the numbers (1997-2007), and Ballard era (and current) socks return.

Toronto Alt Set 1.png 

Their is also a version in green with canvas-looking pants.

Spoiler

Toronto Alt Set 2.png

Archived