NHL Combination of Eras (BONUS: Whale-canes)

TheLAKnight

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Islanders and Boston are definitely your best sets! And maybe you could try combining each decade of the All Star games, or the WHA?? I mean only if you want to continue :P

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

2 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

I think the Islanders and Boston are definitely your best sets! And maybe you could try combining each decade of the All Star games, or the WHA?? I mean only if you want to continue :P

I hadn't thought about the All-Star games. We'll see on those since there have been some pretty strange ones over the years. :lol:

I do have several things to post including tweaks to a few jerseys and some combination of franchises/cities sets. 

This whole series came out fantastic. The last few alternates really knocked it out of the park (I'm not the hugest fan of the Leafs one, but it is passable.). I can't wait to see what you do next. 

BTW, I do hope you do more for this series. Maybe even going ahead and making ASG jerseys for each division based off the ASG hosts & jerseys used in that division. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

I have a few things that I'm still working on, but in the meantime I'll post some different versions of previously posted sets. First up, extra alternates for the Kings.

Version 1

The jersey remains the same, but the black helmet and pants from the main set are used instead of all purple gear. (This gear will be used in all versions today.)

LAKings Alt Set 2.png

Version 2

Here, the striping mimics that of the main set; 5 stripes instead of 3.

LAKings Alt Set 3.png

Version 3

This last one combines the team's '80s set with their current template. This set could also be done with white and silver flipped on the striping.

LAKings Alt Set 5.png

A few different options for some Metro teams.

NY Islanders

When I first posted the Isles, someone asked what it would look like with teal. I didn't get around to changing the alternate at the time, but here is what a full set would look like with teal incorporated.

NY Islanders Full Set 2.png

NY Rangers

I mentioned when I posted the Rangers alternate about a version with the throwback crest on the front. Here is that set. Other than the crest, the stripes are the inverse of the Lady Liberty set that I went with instead.

NY Rangers Alt Set 1.png

Pittsburgh

The Pens were one of the first teams that I worked on. In one of the earliest stages, I thought about using some of there double blue color scheme. The easiest solution was to swap out navy blue for black. It makes for an interesting set to say the least.

Pittsburgh Full Set 2.png

I might still work on Dallas' logo to brighten it up, but here are updated or draft sets for 3 other Central Division teams.

Chicago

The biggest changes of the teams, this new set swaps the crests on the home/road with the alternate. These seem more appropriate, although I like the previous versions as well. Below that is the first draft of the alternate jersey that I mentioned with the extra stripes on the shoulders.

Chicago Full Set 3.png

Chicago Alt Set 1.png

Minnesota

Just 2 other versions of the road jersey. One which reflects the original striping of red-wheat-green and the other one without wheat in the striping. The version that I went with used very little red like the current road jersey.

Minnesota Road 1.png

Minnesota Road 2.png

St. Louis

I should have posted these with the Blues set earlier, but here are the versions with slightly different striping on the home jersey and/or different pants.

Version 1: Original set with blue pants

St. Louis Set 2.png

Version 2: Inverted stripes on home jersey with navy pants

St. Louis Set 3.png

Version 3: Inverted stripes on home jersey with blue pantsSt. Louis Set 4.png

Not sure if I will be making an other changes to the sets that I've already posted (unless someone really, really wants one). I will probably start posting some new designs tomorrow.

While the current Jets team doesn't have any looks to combine, the city has certainly seen a few different designs. Here are the combination of the Jets and the Jets.

Logo: The Jets logo from 1979-90 serves as the primary with 2 changes. Navy blue replaces royal blue as it does on the logo used for this year's Heritage Classic and the plane is replaced by the current jet.

Winnipeg Logo 1.png

Jersey Set: The overall design of both jerseys come from the current Jets including the sleeve-length stripes with overlapping stripes. The white sleeve-length stripe on the home jersey and the updated hem stripes come from the original Jets first set in the NHL. The pattern of the dual arm stripes comes from their '90s set. The polo collar being used for the Heritage Classic jersey is used, which is a nod to the WHA Jets final set. Also from the WHA, the crest does not change colors on the blue jersey. Other details include:

• JETS wordmark from logo used on pants and helmets (wordmark 1973-90, placement 2011-present)
  • current number font and sock design (2011-present)
  • double pants stripe (1975-78, Heritage Classic)
  • 2 sets of pants - blue (1978-90, 2011-present) or red (1972-78, 1990-96)

Version 1

Winnipeg Set 1.png

Version 2

Winnipeg Set 2.png 

Let me know what you think! I have a few more teams lined up, but if there's a specific combination that you would like to see, I'll post it sooner.

2 hours ago, TheLAKnight said:

Version 1

Winnipeg Set 1.png

Holy cow! YES! YES YES YES! This absolutely needs to be their alternate jersey right now. You've hit all the major hallmarks, it looks amazing, the logo is a perfect fauxback...I'm blown away. I know it wasn't what you were going for, but this is the best Jets alternate concept I've ever seen.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Thanks @hockey week! I really liked how the logo turned out and I'm glad you liked the jerseys so much!

Going back in Jets 2.0 franchise history, we see the combination of Atlanta Thrashers jerseys.

Logos: The team's only primary logo returns on both the home and road jerseys. The T-bird is on the shoulders and the front of the alternate jersey and the stand-alone head is found in other locations.

Jersey Set: The home and road jerseys match as they did in the club's early days, but the base color is light blue like their final days. Rather than recreate the arm striping from their original set, I used the template used for the light blue home jersey. It's not as unique as the originals, but it's cleaner than their post 2007 jerseys, especially the white. The hem stripes do carry over though. The alternate combines the navy, light blue, and maroon jerseys worn through the years. The base is navy and the crest is the T-bird since that jersey was worn longer than the football alternate. ATLANTA runs down the left sleeve like the light blue jersey and the head logo from the football jersey is on the right shoulder. The collar is also from the final alternate.

Atlanta Full Set 1.png    

Overall, it's not a prefect combination of eras since I cut a few corners, but you get the idea.

55 minutes ago, TheLAKnight said:

Thanks @hockey week! I really liked how the logo turned out and I'm glad you liked the jerseys so much!

Going back in Jets 2.0 franchise history, we see the combination of Atlanta Thrashers jerseys.

Logos: The team's only primary logo returns on both the home and road jerseys. The T-bird is on the shoulders and the front of the alternate jersey and the stand-alone head is found in other locations.

Jersey Set: The home and road jerseys match as they did in the club's early days, but the base color is light blue like their final days. Rather than recreate the arm striping from their original set, I used the template used for the light blue home jersey. It's not as unique as the originals, but it's cleaner than their post 2007 jerseys, especially the white. The hem stripes do carry over though. The alternate combines the navy, light blue, and maroon jerseys worn through the years. The base is navy and the crest is the T-bird since that jersey was worn longer than the football alternate. ATLANTA runs down the left sleeve like the light blue jersey and the head logo from the football jersey is on the right shoulder. The collar is also from the final alternate.

Atlanta Full Set 1.png    

Overall, it's not a prefect combination of eras since I cut a few corners, but you get the idea.

Looks awesome! Can you do a North Stars combination set?

As requested, the North Stars are up today on a classic CCM template.

Logo: The version of the N with the drop shadow is used.

Jersey Set: Minnesota had several distinct eras to borrow elements from unlike some current NHL teams. The double stripes come from the mid-1970s set, the shoulder yoke with gold accent from the late 1970s, and the addition of black from the 1980s. The striping and cuffs on the white jersey are slightly different from the green because the North Stars didn't have matching elements from 1979-91, especially from 1981-88. By making the cuffs different, it also brings in the cuffs from their earliest sets. Other details include:

• color swapped crests (1967-91)
  • number font (1975-88, black added 1981-91)
  • two-tone collar (1967-75, 1991-93)
  • black pants (1988-93) with stripe (green 1991-93)

Minnesota NS Set 1.png

Are there any changes that I should make to these? Even if it's a minor thing.

3 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

The black stripe on the hem of the white jersey along with socks should be fixed to match the arms..... the black stripe should be on the very bottom of both. It provides more balance. 

Thrashers look good. Shocked you didn't use the Edge light blue collar for them. 

NorthStars17.png

I tried to mimic this look for the Minnesota white. Never really cared for my execution. Two possible changes to fix it: add black to arm stripes and hem or remove black from between stripes.

Not sure I follow about Atlanta's collar. 

Home version looks great.  Colour balance is perfect and the black adds some much-needed contrast the mid 70's era striping.  That being said I'm not a fan of the striping inconsistency on the road.  Removing the black from the cuffs and placing it between the stripes would a result in a more balanced uniform and consistent set.  I also feel that the green could be a little less warm.  Something between the colour you used and the Dallas Star's 'Victory Green.'  Set still looks good as is, I just feel these slight alterations could put it over the top.

Archived