Amercian Flag on Football Helmets

Gold Pinstripes

Read one of the strangest posts on the internet today, courtesy of the other major uniform website. The author led with roughly 100 photos detailing his western vacation, then delved back into uniform opinions with a weird question. Keep in mind, the author was based in New York during 9/11. Anyway, he asked why the small flag decal is still in the back of football helmets. Never thought of the flag as an inconvenience, and we are still at war. And let's remember part of the reason we can take vacations and work in relative safety happens to be the work of individuals who have the flag on their uniforms. Call me old-fashioned, but I just don't see the problem in keeping the small flag decal in back of helmets for the foreseeable future. 

Thoughts?     

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, dont care said:

11 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Placing the flag there is gratuitous.  It should go.

Not sure if serious

Serious.

1 minute ago, insert name said:

Has anyone in Canada complained because there's a small flag on the back of the CFL Helmet?

Also gratuitous.  Also should go.

For a long time MLS jerseys had the flags of the U.S. or Canada on one sleeve.  This also was gratuitous and unnecessary.  They wisely removed this last season, and the jerseys are better for it.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

All of that, plus it's just more clutter on a helmet that's already cluttered enough.

37 minutes ago, insert name said:

I don't have an issue and I don't think anyone should. It's patriotic, let it stay.

m_wilhelm_080825_wide.jpg

That picture is the perfect argument for why it should be removed.

Truth be told, I did not realize they all had it on there.  I guess that means it's not in too overt of a spot, anyway.

The opportunity is always there to be patriotic.  It does not mean that we always have to take it.  Let me propose this to the NFL: home teams wear camouflage and road teams wear red/white/blue.  There is no reason not to do this; it's patriotic.  

I happen to think it's OK for people to go to an entire sporting event without shedding a tear for how great the USA is.  Yeah, there are a lot of things more important than football, including the plight of the soldiers who sacrifice so much (and sometimes the ultimate sacrifice) but does that mean it has to be a constant presence everywhere?  There's a lot of social pressure involved so (particularly post-9/11) once you do something patriotic, there's probably no going back.  It's not just about "being patriotic" either.  It's about "how everyone should show their patriotism."  

I have an uncle who's the most hard-core Twins fan there is.  But he does not own any gear...maybe an old Twins hat.  But at a game, he's not wearing Twins stuff...meanwhile, some of the most decked-out fans spend their time on their phones, in the concourse bar, and whatever else you can do that is not watching the game.  When they do watch if the Twins hit a home run, they get louder than he does.  He's 10-times the fan that most of them are...but he does not wear it on his sleeve.  Same with putting the flag everywhere; some of the dumbest people I've ever run across wear it on their sleeve...they know USA is #1, but they have no idea why.  They just like to wave the flag.  Are they more patriotic than someone who actually understands our history but is more reserved in their approach?  Or are they just louder?

One thing about the original post:

1 hour ago, Gold Pinstripes said:

Read one of the strangest posts on the internet today, courtesy of the other major uniform website. The author led with roughly 100 photos detailing his western vacation, then delved back into uniform opinions with a weird question. Keep in mind, the author was based in New York during 9/11. Anyway, he asked why the small flag decal is still in the back of football helmets. Never thought of the flag as an inconvenience, and we are still at war. And let's remember part of the reason we can take vacations and work in relative safety happens to be the work of individuals who have the flag on their uniforms. Call me old-fashioned, but I just don't see the problem in keeping the small flag decal in back of helmets for the foreseeable future. 

Thoughts?     

Yeah?  That means he has to want to see the flag everywhere?  People need to cope with tragedies in their own way and it's not for us to tell them they have to be red, white, and blue every minute of the day.  I don't understand why we cannot live in a world in which some people wear it on their sleeve less than others.  I think there's a confusion between patriotism and nationalism.  It's not anti-American nor anti-flag to not want it adorned all over sports uniforms.  There's a time and place for everything and we all have plenty of opportunities to appreciate how fortunate we are. 

All that said, I can live with the sticker, since, like I said, it's not really getting in the way of the uniform.  But if we take all opportunities to be patriotic that's all we'll be doing/seeing. 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, Gold Pinstripes said:

And let's remember part of the reason we can take vacations and work in relative safety happens to be the work of individuals who have the flag on their uniforms.

:blink:

The 9/11 reference was strange enough, but I'm sorry, that just doesn't make any sense. 

6 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

:blink:

The 9/11 reference was strange enough, but I'm sorry, that just doesn't make any sense. 

I understand exactly what he's saying...but again, we can remember/appreciate/reflect on it as we each see fit.  If someone is not as appreciative as we'd like, more flags are not going to help.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

Ah, it's just part of the whole "flag belongs to them" thing that I have really come to hate.  The flag doesn't represent cops or soldiers, it represents teachers and postal carriers and factory workers and the unemployed homeless equally.  It represents those of us whose families settled here before the Colonies were free and those of us who got off the plane this morning.  All of us equally.

And I say this as someone who was not only "based in New York during 9/11", but who watched it happen in person and lost friends on that morning.  For what it's worth, which is absolutely nothing.

Besides, the real "reason we can take vacations and work in relative safety" lies in our heavily-unionized past, but that somehow hasn't managed to make anybody equate patriotism with membership in a trade guild. :P

The flag is here to stay. They were put on the helmets after 9/11. I can only imagine the outcry of un-Americanism if you take them off.

I personally don't think we need them, especially since we sing the anthem before all sporting events anyway. That said, do I care? No. It is what it is.

(On that Chargers example, though, the flag should be smaller so as not to go over top of the decal.)

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

The issue is that we're so far into this patriotic thing that there's not really a good way out. The first team/league that doesn't do the national anthem or God Bless America or wear an American flag sticker on their helmets or something like that will be overexposed for being omg commies terrorists they hate murica. Unfortunate, but true. 

spacer.png

1 minute ago, stumpygremlin said:

The flag is here to stay. They were put on the helmets after 9/11. I can only imagine the outcry of un-Americanism if you take them off.

I personally don't think we need them, especially since we sing the anthem before all sporting events anyway. That said, do I care? No. It is what it is.

(On that Chargers example, though, the flag should be smaller so as not to go over top of the decal.)

But then the Chargers will love America less than the other teams.

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

All of that, plus it's just more clutter on a helmet that's already cluttered enough.

That picture is the perfect argument for why it should be removed.

I think I'm more amazed at how uneven the bolts are.  ^_^

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 minute ago, WSU151 said:

I think I'm more amazed at how uneven the bolts are.  ^_^

Ha...I did not notice that.  Maybe the bolt on the right is moved because of the warning sticker?  (But, then move the left one to match it).  Of course, you'd pretty much have to look at this photo to notice (i.e., even the eagle-eyes on this board would not notice it while watching a game).  But still....

POTD (Shared)

The flags are also a way of identifying where we're from too. I like the way teams in college come up with different ways of displaying the state flags with the US flag. Some stack them and others only put the state flag on their helmets. 

As one of the guys who wears a flag on my uniform, I appreciate the flag on the back of the helmets, and on the jerseys of some other teams. However, if the NFL decided that the only logos allowed on helmets are team and league logos I'm pretty sure the country won't notice unless they actually broadcast the changes. The groups that would complain are the same ones still screaming about a guy taking a knee instead of standing for the national anthem.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Yea that "other uniform" websites entry today was beyond absurd, worst part tho is though he was gone the past month, he has his minions, err substitute writers talk in the same annoying lingo he does (Like "The steelers may wear Color Rash uniforms with a nike sponser advertisment at Sports Authority Field at, I still call it Mile High Stadium.....douchebags")

We really need someone else to start writing about daily uniform/logo changes.

Archived