MLB Tweaks and Expansion Made in Paint (Portland Thorns 36/36)

Victormrey

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'm sorry, but that color scheme looks terrible on the Expos. The mint bleeds way too much into the white, and the royal looks really out of place. Royal/red with a bit of metallic gold would look so much better.

If you're going to alter the identity that much, just change the name to "Draveurs." It'd be more original, and less "I'm just going to recolor a bunch of pre-existing logos," which is kind of lazy. I really liked a lot of what you did up to this point in the series, but recoloring a bunch of minor league logos for your expansion teams demonstrates some of the significant gaps between major- and minor-league identity construction.

Nashville has probably been the best one of your expansion teams, and that's largely because you adopted a strong color scheme and one of the more refined minor league identities (although you could use a more fitting number font). Las Vegas feels a little too plain (even though the color scheme has potential), and the same can be said for Oklahoma City (you could really do a lot more with that color scheme - maybe go a little further into sepia tones?). I really liked a lot of what you had done up to this point in the series, but you've kind of lost me with you expansion teams.

Thank you for the feedback. About Montreal, how about keeping the Expos identity, changing the Blue/Red scheme for Blue/Black (inspired by the Montreal Impacts) as @hendocfc once suggested? It'd not be a radical change, and I think it'd keep the team original "feeling" but with a more a Quebec-ish approach.

About the Las Vegas team, I'll be waiting to see the name of the new NHL. In case it's not called "Knights", I think I'll use the MiLB Charlotte Knights indentity. And about the OKC Dusters, I'll be thinking on what to do with them.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Victormrey said:

Thank you for the feedback. About Montreal, how about keeping the Expos identity, changing the Blue/Red scheme for Blue/Black (inspired by the Montreal Impacts) as @hendocfc once suggested? It'd not be a radical change, and I think it'd keep the team original "feeling" but with a more a Quebec-ish approach.

About the Las Vegas team, I'll be waiting to see the name of the new NHL. In case it's not called "Knights", I think I'll use the MiLB Charlotte Knights indentity. And about the OKC Dusters, I'll be thinking on what to do with them.

I'd say look to the Winnipeg Jets for inspiration, if you want to bring back the Expos' name. Keep the royal/red color scheme, but add another color (preferably gold, for my stated reasons) and change up the logos in a way that modernizes the spirit of the originals. If you want to keep the Tourists-inspired look or the blue/black, then change the name to "Draveurs." Once you've changed the color scheme radically, you might as well go all the way and make them a new team.

I really want to see you branch out with what you're doing by not simply resurrecting the Expos' name/recoloring their logos. Feel free to do something different, something nobody expects. "Draveurs" is that course. I'm sorry if I'm coming off as stubborn, but I see a lot of potential here, and I want to see you steer it in the right direction.

As for the bolded point, I would try to something wholly original, and not based off of a minor league/pre-existing identity. Something like "Las Vegas Scorpions" or "Las Vegas Flamingos" would be better.

21 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'd say look to the Winnipeg Jets for inspiration, if you want to bring back the Expos' name. Keep the royal/red color scheme, but add another color (preferably gold, for my stated reasons) and change up the logos in a way that modernizes the spirit of the originals. If you want to keep the Tourists-inspired look or the blue/black, then change the name to "Draveurs." Once you've changed the color scheme radically, you might as well go all the way and make them a new team.

I really want to see you branch out with what you're doing by not simply resurrecting the Expos' name/recoloring their logos. Feel free to do something different, something nobody expects. "Draveurs" is that course. I'm sorry if I'm coming off as stubborn, but I see a lot of potential here, and I want to see you steer it in the right direction.

I see your point. How about going for something like this?

Montreal Draveurs Wordmark Test 1.pngMontreal Draveurs Wordmark Test 2.png

If I keep the Tourists scheme, I'd use only the Teal and the Navy. Using Cream and Blue would be too much.

2 minutes ago, Victormrey said:

I see your point. How about going for something like this?

Montreal Draveurs Wordmark Test 1.pngMontreal Draveurs Wordmark Test 2.png

If I keep the Tourists scheme, I'd use only the Teal and the Navy. Using Cream and Blue would be too much.

I like the royal/black a lot more. The teal/navy reminds me of seattle.

19 minutes ago, ahowe6464 said:

I like the royal/black a lot more. The teal/navy reminds me of seattle.

13 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I think royal/black is a step in the right direction, especially when no other teams use it in your MLB. Nice work.

4 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

The first color scheme looks too much like the Mariners, so I'd go with the second option.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll be using that style and scheme.

1 minute ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

NOOOOO! Keep Expos. Think of it realistically. If and when the MLB returns, there's no way in hell they go with anything other than Expos. 

The color scheme- although I like what you're going for- I don't think works. As generic and common as RWB is, it worked for the 'Spos. 

I think I'll go for the Draveurs for the moment. After finishing the series I may do a set for the Expos with their original colour scheme.

In the next few days I won't have too much leisure time, so the pace of the series will be slowed down once again.

Given we're reaching the end of the series, I've started thinking on the next one. I have a couple of ideas in mind: MiLB Latin American Teams, 2017 World Baseball Classic, and Venezuelan Baseball League Tweaks. Which one would you prefer?

In the next few days I won't have too much leisure time, so the pace of the series will be slowed down once again.

Given we're reaching the end of the series, I've started thinking on the next one. I have a couple of ideas in mind: MiLB Latin American Teams, 2017 World Baseball Classic, and Venezuelan Baseball League Tweaks. Which one would you prefer?

They all sound great, but I'd personally like to see the Venezuelan Baseball League.

How about using the scheme I had originally planned for the Buffalo 89ers?

Montreal Draveurs Wordmark Test 3.png

About the New Orleans team, the new NOLA Baby Cakes have just been announced. What do you think about them? Should I use some parts of their identity or stick to my original idea? (Let's remmeber it):

NOLA Bayous Wordmark Home.pngNOLA Bayous Wordmark Home Alt.pngNOLA BAyous Wordmark Road.pngNOLA BAyous Wordmark Road Alt.png

That '89ers scheme looks great. 

The Baby Cakes might have a terrible name and some bad logos, but I really like everything else about their identity, especially the wordmark on their road set. 

CxV3eGCUkAAqkvo.jpg

By the way the green on the purple "Nola" wordmark above looks like a different shade than the one you used for all the others. 

40 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

The Baby Cakes might have a terrible name and some bad logos, but I really like everything else about their identity, especially the wordmark on their road set. 

CxV3eGCUkAAqkvo.jpg

I like their wordmarks, but I think the style I'm looking for is different to their new identity. Nevertheless, I'll stay tune to see all their designs.

42 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

By the way the green on the purple "Nola" wordmark above looks like a different shade than the one you used for all the others. 

20 minutes ago, ahowe6464 said:

The y kind of looks like a g. Other than that it's pretty good.

It's actually the same shade, but I guess it looks different due to the background. How about changing a bit the "Y" and using the Baby Cakes' colours?

NOLA Bayous Wordmark Home.pngNOLA Bayous Wordmark Home Alt.png

NOLA BAyous Wordmark Road.pngNOLA BAyous Wordmark Road Alt.png

1 minute ago, coco1997 said:

Those wordmarks are solid. Good job fixing the "y";  @ahowe6464 was right, it did look like a "g" at first.

The only thing I don't like is the yellow inner outline on the second "bayous" wordmark. How would it look in white? 

Thanks! Not sure about how it looks with white:

NOLA Bayous Wordmark Home Alt.png

I'll try it out ;)

BTW, any idea for the cap logo? I'm stuck on it.

If you want to do something pertaining to the name, maybe a boat of some kind?

If not, there's plenty of New Orleans culture from which to draw--a voodoo skull, a king cake, a crawdad ;) , etc. 

Archived