infrared41's Best and Worst 2016 - NFL Week 11

infrared41

Week 11 was average. Some really good looking match ups, some pretty good looking match ups, and yet another week without a worst list. I don't keep track of these things, but I have to think that 2016 has already set some sort of record for the fewest bad uniform match ups. Eleven weeks into the season and I'm pretty sure there hasn't been a worst list longer than three games. Anyway, as always, these lists are just my opinion. Your opinion may not be the same as mine. (I think retiring "Your mileage may vary" is long overdue.) 

Best:

1. Green Bay - Washington: My guess is some of you won't care for the abundance of gold pants in this one, but I thought this was a really good looking game. 

SzpEcEP.jpg

2. Titans - Colts: Plenty of blue for everybody in this one. The white over light blue is the Titans best road look - and it ain't even close. The Colts always look great. Nice mix of traditional and non-traditional* uniforms. 

I8zrfPA.jpg

*@BrandMooreArt came up with a term we were going to use to describe modern uniforms that are too old to be called modern anymore, but damned if I can remember it. It had something to do with combining the words stripes, panels, and piping. I want to say it was "pips" but I'm not sure that's it. Anyone remember what it was? 

3. Cowboys - Ravens: Speaking of match ups between traditional and non-traditional, this one looked pretty good too. Nice to see the Ravens back in their best look. It worked well with the Cowboys uniforms. 

BfUGjdJ.jpg

4. Texans - Raiders: Time to beat the " team X should have gone all white" drum again. I like the Texans white over navy look, but it doesn't work as well when matched up with the Raiders black and silver. Just my opinion, but the navy pants draw too much attention. All white would have provided a much better color balance in this one.

B8NPM9d.jpg

5. Bears - Giants: Repeat the stuff I said about all white for game #4 and add if the Bears had gone all white, this game would have been at the top of the list. 

uJvbbiz.jpg83289197_display_image.jpg?1327271071

Honorable Mention: God help me, but the Browns uniforms are really starting to grow on me. (I'm even starting to think the brown over orange doesn't look so bad.) But the two best combos are the all white and the orange over white. This game didn't look quite as good as I thought it would when I heard the Browns were going with this combo, but it still looked pretty good. Definitely worthy of an honorable mention. 

t37j6QO.jpg

That's it for this week. Thank for taking a look. 

BB52Big.jpg

I think it might have been "PYPS" . . . something, like Piping, Yokes, Panels and Stripes.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

That's it!

. . . which I just read in this voice . . .

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

I'm glad to see Browns/Steelers get a mention this week. Although I will never be able to fully get past the glaring flaws of the Browns' current set, the orange/white combo really does a nice job of minimizing them and it looked great going up against the Steelers' traditional road combo. It was a nice matchup of autumn colors as well, and there was a nice sense of balance created by both teams' uniforms.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

That Redskins-Packers matchup is one of the best of the year, I'd say. I actually love it when two teams wearing gold pants square off, especially when they have different helmet colors (which would pretty much be every possible gold/gold matchup in the NFL except 49ers/Saints, I suppose). The Skins' burgundy-over-gold look is by far my favorite look of theirs. Obviously the Packers' uniforms are one of the best in the NFL. Get rid of the gigantic collar and the screen-printed sleeve stripes, and they might be the best in the league.

Agreed on the Titans' white-over-columbia blue being their best road look. If they wore that on the road all the time, and made the columbia blue-over-white their primary home look (the navy jersey can remain as an alternate), they'd actually have a pretty good identity. A little dated and in need of refreshing, but the pieces would be there. They should be a columbia blue and white team primarily, both home and road - it'd be a good starting place for an identity refresh.

And will the Bears burn those damn navy pants already? I'd love for the Bears to permanently go with white jerseys/white pants/navy socks on the road, but I'd be fine with white/white/white as well. Either one would look immeasurably better than those out-of-place navy pants.

The Texans can throw their navy pants into the fire as well. Those navy pants paired with navy socks is only a step above the Saints' yoga pants look. When will teams learn? Don't wear colored pants with socks of the same color! It seems painfully obvious to me, yet eludes half the NFL. (White pants over white socks works perfectly fine.)

On 11/23/2016 at 0:55 PM, kroywen said:

And will the Bears burn those damn navy pants already? I'd love for the Bears to permanently go with white jerseys/white pants/navy socks on the road, but I'd be fine with white/white/white as well. Either one would look immeasurably better than those out-of-place navy pants.

By my usual rule, the Bears' navy pants should work, because the pants match the helmet and the jersey matches the socks, but they don't. It's weird. They should be in all white on the road.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

46 minutes ago, the admiral said:

By my usual rule, the Bears' navy pants should work, because the pants match the helmet and the jersey matches the socks, but they don't. It's weird. They should be in all white on the road.

To be honest, I'm generally not a fan of any dark pants, even if they match the helmet. I can't think of a single one that I really like. But the Bears' navy pants look especially bad, probably because they seem so out of place on what's otherwise a very traditional uniform.

The Redskins' burgundy pants look great, I like the Chiefs' red pants (with white socks) more than most people do, the Texans' pants would work with red socks but I don't think they've worn the uniform as intended for years, and I like the Ravens in black pants because the Ravens should only wear as much white as necessary. But the Bears, Rams, Jets, and Patriots all look less than great in dark pants.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

22 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I think the term was "Piping, Yokes and Panels"

Damn!  I threw in an extra S.

13 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Bears' white jersey/blue pants/white socks look is the best look the team has. 

#HotTakes

That look is good. 

I also like their all white look. 

I think all white is great when it balances the opposing team's look. If the opposing team doesn't wear white pants, then the Bears all white look complements it in most cases. 

Go A's!

On 11/25/2016 at 5:49 PM, the admiral said:

The Redskins' burgundy pants look great, I like the Chiefs' red pants (with white socks) more than most people do, the Texans' pants would work with red socks but I don't think they've worn the uniform as intended for years, and I like the Ravens in black pants because the Ravens should only wear as much white as necessary. But the Bears, Rams, Jets, and Patriots all look less than great in dark pants.

I do like the Redskins' burgundy pants with their white jerseys, though I actually think white-over-gold might look even better on them. But white-over-burgundy is definitely a good look for them, and one of the few cases where I actually like darker pants.

The Texans would actually have a really good alternate look with red jerseys/navy pants/red socks, but I don't think they've ever worn on that combo. I'd be curious to see how they'd look in white/navy/red, but I can't recall them ever wearing that look (if they did, it was probably way, way in the past). I ultimately think white/white/navy is their best possible road look though. The color balance there is really good, IMO.

Archived